• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Torkoal vs Assault Vest Machamp??

Years
    • Seen Dec 11, 2020
    Hi this is my first post here, I actually made an account on the Pokemon Forum because I was so stumped at something that just happened and was wondering if anyone had an explanation. 0.0

Basically my Machamp is AV'd and has the EV spread 252HP/212Atk/44SpDef. It was on 136HP and the opposing player had a Torkoal out. The field situation was that there was Sun and absolutely no other conditions either side, the Torkoal then proceeded to Flamethrower my Machamp and KO'd it for 136HP. Now I've run all the calcs but NuggetBridge says Flamethrower should never do more than 99 DMG (with Charcoal), it wasn't using Specs because it used Rock Slide the turn after (Torkoal with RS lol) and it didn't have any boosts because it was switched in the turn before.

I was wondering if anyone might have some kind of explanation for what could have occurred (an item it was using, anything!!) because it seems pointless me using AV if it's not going to do its job :P And yes I checked the second after it was KO'd that Machamp was actually holding it. I saved the battle replay so if people want proof I can probably add images of it KO'ing and also my Machamp's stats (they are 100% EV'd the way I said).

Sorry for long post, I just wanted all the information to be here and I'm a pretty new player anyway so I'm still trying to learn about the game :)

Edit: Oh btw the calcs I ran were for a Modest 252SpAtk Torkoal with Charkoal, also even if it was using Choice Specs (which it wasn't) it still wouldn't be able to do that much damage. Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Yeah, video would be helpful. But do you know what the IVs are on your Machamp, at least for HP and SpDef?

Years
    • Seen Dec 11, 2020
    Is there a way for me to just upload it or would I have to film it on my phone and do it like that?

Also update, after the Assault Vest failure earlier I changed to Choice Band and invested fully in Atk EVs. I OHKO'd a Talonflame with 4HP in Aurora Veil with Close Combat (no boosts or anything), I know the Talonflame set because my friend was using the one I traded him. Here is what the calc is supposed to be:
    252+ Atk Choice Band Machamp Close Combat vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Talonflame through Reflect: 73-87 (47.4 - 56.4%) -- 86.7% chance to 2HKO

I'm starting to thing the Machamp coding is glitched or something :S Also it didn't say "this move isn't very effective". I don't have the replay for this one unfortunately though so you'll just have to take a stranger's word for it :(

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 11, 2020
    Yeah, video would be helpful. But do you know what the IVs are on your Machamp, at least for HP and SpDef?

Perfect IVs and I even checked each stat against Nugget Bridge to make sure.

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
    Years
    If the VS recorder works as it did in 6th, then we just need the code to watch the battle on our systems.

Your team with stats and movesets would ideally be helpful.

Years
    • Seen Dec 11, 2020
    I can't find a code, I didn't play 6th gen so I have no idea how that worked anyway :D

Why you need my team for? I'm not giving them up that easy! ;)

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    Is there a way for me to just upload it or would I have to film it on my phone and do it like that?

Also update, after the Assault Vest failure earlier I changed to Choice Band and invested fully in Atk EVs. I OHKO'd a Talonflame with 4HP in Aurora Veil with Close Combat (no boosts or anything), I know the Talonflame set because my friend was using the one I traded him. Here is what the calc is supposed to be:
    252+ Atk Choice Band Machamp Close Combat vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Talonflame through Reflect: 73-87 (47.4 - 56.4%) -- 86.7% chance to 2HKO

I'm starting to thing the Machamp coding is glitched or something :S Also it didn't say "this move isn't very effective". I don't have the replay for this one unfortunately though so you'll just have to take a stranger's word for it :(

Perhaps it had just used Roost? That would remove Talonflame's flying type and cause Close Combat to have normal effectiveness.

Back