• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen trade to this from yellow (cartridge)

Years
    • Seen Mar 1, 2017
    Hello,
    I was wondering if it is possible to (probably indirectly) trade up a pokemon from the physical cartridge for Yellow up to the Omega Ruby version (software only).

I am interested in the shortest path possible (So as to avoid unnecessary expense).
    I have :
    Gameboy Colour, Gameboy Advance and DS 3DSXL.

Thank you in advance

Years
  • I'm afraid it's not possible.

The earliest game that can transfer all the way to the current games is the 3rd Generation titles (RSE/FRLG) which transfer through to 4th Gen's Pal Park in DPPt/HGSS, then having a second 3DS link up to transfer to 5th Gen with DS Download Play, and then to 6th Gen through Pokemon Bank. Transfer from 6th to 7th Gen (when Sun & Moon come out) will also be through Pokemon Bank.

Years
    • Seen Mar 1, 2017
    That is a shame, see I got this Mew from one of the Nintendo events (around 2000 ish), so it's quite special to me. I read about there being two slots on the original Nintendo DS and thought perhaps this could be a way?

If not, is there another way to obtain a Mew officially? (And get other kanto pokemon). I also have the virtual pokemon yellow too if that helps?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    That is a shame, see I got this Mew from one of the Nintendo events (around 2000 ish), so it's quite special to me. I read about there being two slots on the original Nintendo DS and thought perhaps this could be a way?

If not, is there another way to obtain a Mew officially? (And get other kanto pokemon). I also have the virtual pokemon yellow too if that helps?
    The 2nd slot in the DS only supports GBA cartridges, and not GB ones.

Mew has been given out a number of times via official events over the years and games. There is no Mew event currently going on but if you have a current gen game you could possibly get a Mew from someone.

Fortunately the virtual Red/Blue/Yellow games are going to be compatible with the Pokemon Bank and Sun/Moon, so when those games come out in November you can transfer anything caught on your virtual Yellow version to Sun/Moon.

Years
    • Seen Mar 1, 2017
    The 2nd slot in the DS only supports GBA cartridges, and not GB ones.

Mew has been given out a number of times via official events over the years and games. There is no Mew event currently going on but if you have a current gen game you could possibly get a Mew from someone.

Fortunately the virtual Red/Blue/Yellow games are going to be compatible with the Pokemon Bank and Sun/Moon, so when those games come out in November you can transfer anything caught on your virtual Yellow version to Sun/Moon.

I see - is it then not possible to trade from Yellow to original Ruby (I have this) using a link cable and from there to the rest using the DS dual port? Apologies if this was implied to be not possible I just want to make sure :)

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I see - is it then not possible to trade from Yellow to original Ruby (I have this) using a link cable and from there to the rest using the DS dual port? Apologies if this was implied to be not possible I just want to make sure :)
    Yeah, it's not possible. Gen 1 games can trade to Gen 2 games, but Gen 2 games can't trade to Gen 3 ones, which is why it's impossible to get anything from earlier than Gen 3 up to the current generation.

Years
    • Seen Mar 1, 2017
    Yeah, it's not possible. Gen 1 games can trade to Gen 2 games, but Gen 2 games can't trade to Gen 3 ones, which is why it's impossible to get anything from earlier than Gen 3 up to the current generation.

Thank you for your help! :)

In that case I will not bother wasting money even trying.

I wonder if they will give players of the virtual Yellow/Red/Blue the chance to obtain Mew soon then? At least I will be able to eventually send over Charmander and Growlithe etc, and maybe the legendary birds! :D

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen May 15, 2024
    I wonder if they will give players of the virtual Yellow/Red/Blue the chance to obtain Mew soon then? At least I will be able to eventually send over Charmander and Growlithe etc, and maybe the legendary birds! :D
    If you follow the original Mew glitch, you can get Mew in Red/Blue/Yellow on the Virtual Console. It won't be a legitimate Mew, but it will still be a Mew.

Years
    • Seen Mar 1, 2017
    If you follow the original Mew glitch, you can get Mew in Red/Blue/Yellow on the Virtual Console. It won't be a legitimate Mew, but it will still be a Mew.

Thanks... I think I have used all the trainers in my copy of yellow though now and don't want to restart it :) I would rather get a real one anyway, the OCD in me forbids fakes haha!

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • Thanks... I think I have used all the trainers in my copy of yellow though now and don't want to restart it :) I would rather get a real one anyway, the OCD in me forbids fakes haha!

I'm sure there is someone in our Trade Corner that is wiling to help you out :) There were quite a few Mew events... I believe there was one recently (January or February ish) so I'm sure someone out there has an extra. I would offer but I missed the entire event haha.

Years
  • One rumor I've heard as to one of the reasons that you cant transfer gen 1 and gen 2 was because the devs changed the IV system and your pokes would supposedly be demolished or something.

Years
    • Seen Mar 1, 2017
    One rumor I've heard as to one of the reasons that you cant transfer gen 1 and gen 2 was because the devs changed the IV system and your pokes would supposedly be demolished or something.

It's daft.. I am a developer and know this is not impossible to set up some sort of transfer system if they could be bothered to create it - they know the exact structure of the original data and the target data and could write a converter.

Years
    • Seen Mar 18, 2017
    Technically, it is possible to transfer pokemon up that far, but it's expensive, convoluted, and not supported by Gamefreak. It involves flashcarts, emulators, conversion tools, and some Gameboy peripherals that I didn't even know existed. If you're insane enough to attempt it, here's a video explaining how.

I'm not even sure this would count as legit, considering the hoops you have to jump through to get them into Bank, and the fact that you're basically generating copies of your old Pokemon. As well as the fact that this isn't an official transfer method. I wouldn't dare use these Pokemon online. If you're limited to software only, you won't be able to do it.

Of course, there may be a way to slip your cartridge save file into the VC releases, and then to Sun/Moon, but I can't imagine doing that without hacking your 3DS. I wouldn't recommend either method unless you have some prized Event pokemon from 16 years ago, and even them only for enthusiasts.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 1, 2017
    Technically, it is possible to transfer pokemon up that far, but it's expensive, convoluted, and not supported by Gamefreak. It involves flashcarts, emulators, conversion tools, and some Gameboy peripherals that I didn't even know existed. If you're insane enough to attempt it, here's a video explaining how.

I'm not even sure this would count as legit, considering the hoops you have to jump through to get them into Bank, and the fact that you're basically generating copies of your old Pokemon. As well as the fact that this isn't an official transfer method. I wouldn't dare use these Pokemon online. If you're limited to software only, you won't be able to do it.

Of course, there may be a way to slip your cartridge save file into the VC releases, and then to Sun/Moon, but I can't imagine doing that without hacking your 3DS. I wouldn't recommend either method unless you have some prized Event pokemon from 16 years ago, and even them only for enthusiasts.

Hmm yeah not bothering doing anything which may break my stuff XD I'll see if I can get one in a trade or just use the Mew Glitch... though I never used it before so I hope I do it right!

Back