• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Trading Is Cheating? (Firered and Leafgreen)

Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2009
    As some of you know, you can trade pokemon in FR/LG. Of course you need cut to get to the 3rd gym. But if you trade over a pokemon with cut you can skip the whole S.S. Anne! Because after beating Misty you can use cut.

You can also trade over a pokemon with flash since you need to go through Diglett's Cave to get flash. But you can skip that and trade over a pokemon with flash and get through Rock Tunnel without finding that house after Diglett's Cave.

So, is trading basically like cheating in Firered and Leafgreen's main story?

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    My opinion is that in-game, it doesn't matter what you do or if you "cheat" like this, as you put it. Since it only affects yourself and your experience of the story~

I imagine many players who play through it the first time (not all though) want to get as much of the story as possible and would probably go aboard the SS Anne anyways. Though maybe not go through that annoying Diglett's Cave xD Does it ruin something later on in the game if you don't, btw?

And if you're going to battle against friends, it doesn't matter where in the story you are, right? So it's up to the player him/herself whether or not to "cheat" :)

This is my opinion on cheating regarding any game whatsoever.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    I did exactly that all the way back in Blue :)

Anyway, it's not cheating per se, but it does bypass some (admittedly minor) aspects of the storyline. I didn't do it in LG because I wanted to play through catching Pokemon ingame only, but it's really your call.

Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2009
    Well, I don't really feel right when I did it in FR. Thats the only time i did it because I wanted to find out if mew was really behind the truck >_>

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I've never done that. Like Anthony, I get a guilt trip when I do that. I don't really play FRLG that much anyway, so I guess it's all good. xD

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Never done it. However, that's not just coz i can't trade. I just wouldn't want to. I like all the random little sidequestey bits.

ArcanineOod

DESU.
    Years
    I wouldn't call it cheating, per se... After all, it's not like your manipulating game codes or things like that. It's merely making use of the game's features, one of which is being able to trade. You can trade, so why not, to save time? =3

xX

jksa893

Playing Soul Silver
    Years
    • Seen Jul 30, 2011
    The whole, "You can skip Cut" thing... When you put it that way it sounds like cheating...

But I like to trade my Pokemon that needs trading to evolve...

Years
    Never done this, and I think it takes the fun out of the game too.

And I only trade for evolving or sometimes to train my pokemon if I'm lazy.

Pokémon Ranger ✩ Moriarty

I lit a wee fire...on a boat!
    Years
    I wouldn't call it cheating - just skipping some minor, sometimes annoying, aspects of the story-line is hardly omghax! - but I don't do it because whenever I play a game I play it properly. XD Although I did trade some eggs over to my Pearl when I restarted it so that I could have the team I wanted straight away >_>; But that was nothing to do with HMs.

Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2010
    meh this isnt cheating, its just that you will ONLY have this pokemon learn Cut and you cant give Cut to another pokemon unless if you forced the S.S.Anne to sail.

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
    The most you can really do is skip the S.S. Anne. Which was an over sight of Game Freak.

Skipping Diglett's Cave is just not wasting two repels (one there and one back). Personally, I tend to not even teach my Pokemon Flash, I just go through the cave without it.

SCV058

The Able Vet
    Years
    I've never actually needed flash to get anywhere...
    But on topic, its not OMGYOUHAX, its just bypassing the sometimes ridicoulous HM requirements

GFA

Mega Blastoise is my homeboy
    Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2018
    No it isn't cheating. I'd actually rather 'cheat' to get cut, that way, the S.S. Anne would never leave harbor ^^

Arcta

Shiny Champion - Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2010
    b.u.m.p just here to help people bump :)

Back