• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Train, Boat or Sky Hop?

What do you do most of all when travelling between Johto and Kanto?

• I board that sleek SS Aqua and skim across them waves!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Kip

🔥 Fluffy Fire Fox
Years
    • Age 32
    • They/Them
    • UK
    • Seen yesterday
    In ye olden times of Gold, Silver and Crystal (when the old man and his Abra were still useful), travelling between regions could become a bit of a bore, because you couldn't Fly to one from the other.

Thus the faithful magnet train became many a trainer's calling point for whizzing between Johto and Kanto in virtually no time at all (bar a short cinematic which I always found cool). Those who wanted a more leisurely trip and maybe a few battles along the way waited for the ultra-fast SS Aqua to skim between Vermilion and Olivine.

Now in these hallowed remakes, you still cannot Fly directly from region to region. The train is still there (takes a little longer though) and so is the boat (with no re-battles :( ) but there is also a third option which I'm sure I'm not the first to think of. I like to call it Sky Hopping.

Train, Boat or Sky Hop?

Essentially you Fly to the middle (either Victory Road or Indigo Plateau) and then you can Fly anywhere. I've found that it's a lot quicker than the Magnet train if you want to get from somewhere to somewhere that isn't Goldenrod or Saffron.

Anyway, I was curious - what do you guys do? What's your most preferred method when hopping between regions?

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
  • Flying--or sky hopping. XD I don't like waiting on the train. Or especially the S.S. Aqua. Dx Don't get me started with walking to a region. So the fastest thing is sky hopping. XD

Black Prince

±♠ サヨナラ ♠±
    Years
  • Taking the train or the boat is just a waste of time. I mean, flying is much faster, you just have to choose your pokemon and order it to fly.
    The train and the boat are helpful when we don't have any flying type though.

Years
  • I "skyhop" but when i feel like it i go for a ride on the magnet train, i've only used the boat the time i was required to do so, and i don't think i've ever walked from Johto to Kanto or vice versa

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I sky-hop when I want to get from Kanto to Johto and vice versa. I don't really have to walk much using this method.

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    Usually I skyhop because it seems easiest to me... but I guess I could use the Magnet Train every once in a while. Hmm.

M4

Freedom of teh speech!!!!!!!!!
    Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2013
    Any little kid with half a brain knows how to do this. Great invention. /derp

GOG TOXIC

Competetive n00b
    Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2010
    sky hopping. I always save my game at the pokemon league so next time I start up I can go where ever

nm legend

Years
  • wel i sky hop most of the time....but most of the time too, im in goldenrod breeeding so ill use the train sometimes

Musica

PPPPPDPPPPP
    Years
  • Train, Boat or Sky Hop?
    I mostly fly, except when I'm hatching eggs I just walk from the daycare center to the train station to route 25, best place to hatch eggs in the game

Really? How so? I thought I was doing good with Battle Tower's Slopes because you can move faster while on your bike there. Like twice the speed of your normal bike.

On-topic.
    Yes, sky-hopping. <3
    But when I go nostalgic, I use the Magnet Train while on GB Sounds <3.
    I'm not sure about when you said no rebattle on the SS Aqua because afaik, you can battle random trainers there in a specifid day (forgot which one).

Years
    • Seen May 13, 2021
    Sky-hopping, for the obvious reason that it's as easy as a piece of cake.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I use the sky hopping thing and have done so for a while. At first I thought it only applied to Victory Road, but then I realised it worked from e4 so all's good. Idc about the other options as much (and never use boat).

Back