• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Trainers on Route 1?

Starchomp

Avid Gambler
Years
    • Seen Aug 24, 2014
    In some hacks (like Sienna) Trainer battles can be found on the first route. However, some hackers tend to wait until the second or even the third area to include trainers. Nintendo happens to do this in every main series game they have produced thus far.

I honestly prefer hacks that do put trainers so early in the game. As I like to get right into the action.

So what do you guys think?

Bilaterus

ToBe Best Spriter ;)
    Years
    • Seen Nov 6, 2012
    Hm, interesting thought. I think it depends on the hacker, if they plan to create a hack that is like a real nintendo game (as in all the people are nice and happy and explain everything, EVERYTHING!) Than it would be best to leave it out.

But for people who make hacks for experienced players (not saying that they make a hack that starts halfway through a game :P) than they would probably try to get the player leveled as quick as possible to put them through harder and more challenging situations. That are not present in the nintendo games (bar competitive battling and some frontier things, I mean mostly the story)

Personally I would put trainers on the first route :D

Truality

Left for good
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2013
    Yup, there are trainers on the first route of my hack.

The thought is simple: You have a Pokemon on the first route, you can fight. You don't have, you don't fight. So that really depends on how each one wants the hack to unfold. I also prefer early battles when playing other hacks.

marcc5m

what
    Years
  • Depends. I don't have them in my hack because I wanted it to go like this:

- Get starter
    - Get Pokedex
    - Rival battle
    - Catch Pokemon
    - Learn about Pokemon Centres and Gyms

In other words, I wanted to get all the basic stuff out of the way first. Then I have an optional route for training with Trainers in it, the second route which will have the first battles with Team Rocket, and then the Gym. Also I wanted it to seem more official.
    ...And it's a small Route so adding Trainers would've made it seem to squashed.

ManInTheMask

Pro Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Oct 27, 2016
    Ummmmmm...................................... Wow, I'd say I could agree with putting trainers on Route 1, and disagree. The reason I'd agree is because it gives you a start on what trainer battles are like, and I'd disagree because it may seem too much for the player to already fight trainers at the 1st Route.

M.L

Invisible
    Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2017
    well i have thought about this but well thought in a way NO not in the beggining but im gana use a a script so later in the game the trainers will appear(stronger ofcourse) so technically there are ganna be trainers in route1 but not once you start

EdensElite

No0b, but getting there.
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jul 4, 2014
    I personally find battles, the least fun bit of pokemon games. So I tend to have starters already at level 10 and skip the first route.

tente2

"Outta my way, dammit!"
    Years
  • My opinion, the only people who play hacks already know everything about pokemon, so creating a "newbie resort" on the first route isn't really appropriate.

I personally find battles, the least fun bit of pokemon games. So I tend to have starters already at level 10 and skip the first route.
    Okaaaay. No offense, but then why do you play Pokemon? Not saying that there's anything wrong with that opinion, but if you don't like battling, why not play something like Harvest Moon or something? Exactly what aspect of Pokemon do you like? Just curios.

monkeybard

boop
    Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2023
    Even if most people patching will have good knowledge on Pokemon anyway, leave it out for the bootleggers and the kids that buy them!
    In all seriousness, I'm fine with either way. I do like trainers on the first route though, as long as they don't hold any poison material. Countless times I have fallen due to that first trainer in Sienna. And Light Platinum. And even though it isn't a trainer, that forest in Dark Cobalt. Poison in my opinion is the worst way to start an adventure D:

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
    Years
  • I think the player should have a chance to catch another Pokemon before a trainer battle (except the initial rival battle.) I usually hate my starter Pokemon.

hinkage

Everyone currently in an argument with this member
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I have put Trainers on the first Route in both my games.

I did this simply because I want the game to have an "uphill battle" type of feel from the very start -- almost everyone is stronger than/as strong as you, and you really have to prove yourself.

cazzler

Feraligatr FtW!
    Years
  • Well I'd rather build a little story first before jumping into battles...
    Fights are always better when they mean something or that its happening for a reason. Like stopping evil teams and what not.

Skizzieren

- to outline; design
    Years
    • Seen Jul 29, 2013
    Trainers on route 1 can work, but you probably need to make sure that this doesn't detract from gameplay. Most people want to get a feel for the storyline in the first parts of the hack, not spend their time barely winning scrappy fights with their level 6 starter. If there were trainers on route 1, I would make sure that they were easily winnable fights and that the trainers actually gave some important dialogue to the game. They shouldn't just be trainers for the sake of being trainers, in my opinion.

DaleFails

Pokémon: Giovanni Origins developer
    Years
    • Seen today
    I think in depends...

In my hack, you start off at a PokeCollege in which there's College-mates to battle, and college practice gym, and more. So in order to leave the large campus, you have to defeat these trainers anyway and so become levelled. This way, I can put trainers on the first route, no problem.

However, if like a standard nintendo game there are no battles in the first town apart from your rival, then I'd say leave it for the second route with a town + pokecentre between routes 1 + 2 :)

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
  • Eh. I like to give players time to train their teams before putting all the action in. Usually the second route is a fine choice to put trainers in the game, but the first route isn't as good, unless their Pokemon are Level 2 or something.

Back