• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Trump Declares National Emergency

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    So just a bit ago, Trump did what he said he was going to yesterday and both signed the funding bill that passed through both houses of Congress and declared a national emergency.

The bill he signed provides funding for the federal government through October. The part that was about border security provides about $1.4 billion for additional alternative security measures, such as a total of ~55 miles of new fencing, the hiring of hundreds of new Border Patrol agents, new screening technology at points of entry, etc, iirc.

With the official declaration on our hands, he will now move to acquire the funds he desires for his border wall. Congress can challenge this declaration of a national emergency, so we'll see what happens.

Maedar

Banned
    Years
  • Trump may have doomed himself - again - by saying "I didn't need to do this. But I'd rather do it much faster."

Suffice to say, the prosecutors in the upcoming lawsuits intend to use that as evidence.

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    I just see this ending terribly...

Trev

[span="font-size: 8px; color: white;"][font="Monts
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Nov 15, 2023
    Christ alive, can he go one day without doing dumb shit like this? There's no national emergency, no one is dying en masse because of "illegal" immigrants. This whole situation is so absurd and is just a way for him to get what he wants without having to meet in the middle or find a solution that benefits everyone.

Last edited:

Maedar

Banned
    Years
  • Trump is breaking new records for corruption.

They're saying Manafort may get a 24 year sentence, and the maximum Stone can get is 80.

To put this in perspective, the longest sentence any of the Watergate defendants got was 8 years.

Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2022
    Apparently declaring a National emergency is a thing presidents do. Obama had 13.

Years
  • If the US can't sustain the number of immigrants like, say, Greece, I could see them being like ok we need to do something.
    But that something isn't throwing a tantrum just because a wall isn't being supported is so fucking awful. Maybe spend all that money improving the immigration process, hiring translators to help the asylum seekers and immigrants with what they need. If the immigration process wasn't so expensive and hard you wouldn't have nearly as many illegal immigrants because they'd be able to do it legally. Lawmakers just hate nonwhite poor people, it's so blatant.
    You think these people are coming to the US all willy nilly? Of course there's cartels, but there's many more innocent people fleeing for their lives, hoping for a better life. Grow some empathy for your fellow human beings.

If your response to my post is just to say "wow you're being awful ~rude~" and not thinking that maybe asylum seekers deserve dignity, don't even bother, go to a therapist for your antisocial beliefs instead.

Years
  • If the US can't sustain the number of immigrants like, say, Greece, I could see them being like ok we need to do something.
    But that something isn't throwing a tantrum just because a wall isn't being supported is so psyducking awful. Maybe spend all that money improving the immigration process, hiring translators to help the asylum seekers and immigrants with what they need. If the immigration process wasn't so expensive and hard you wouldn't have nearly as many illegal immigrants because they'd be able to do it legally. Lawmakers just hate nonwhite poor people, it's so blatant.
    You think these people are coming to the US all willy nilly? Of course there's cartels, but there's many more innocent people fleeing for their lives, hoping for a better life. Grow some empathy for your fellow human beings.

If your response to my post is just to say "wow you're being awful ~rude~" and not thinking that maybe asylum seekers deserve dignity, don't even bother, go to a therapist for your antisocial beliefs instead.

Hiring more translators and judges while great, won't fix illegal immigration. There are millions that want to come from all around the world, they should all have an equal chance to get in and have their case heard in an orderly fashion. Giving preferential treatment to one set of people because they come from a country close to our border and they can make the trek to come is wrong. Having a wall up does many things to slow down the import of illegal drugs, slow down or stop human traffickers, and slow down or stop illegals who do not want to follow the same process the rest of the world goes through.

Maedar

Banned
    Years
  • ALT, usually listening to your rambling and absurdities as you blindly agree with the Republican with the most authority is an amusing way to pass the time.

THIS time, however, it is a WASTE of time.

Trump's wall would accomplish nothing except serve as a monument to his ego, and as I have stated before, is an impossible structure.

It would be quite amusing to see GOP incumbents try to hold their reelection campaigns while their constituents' land in Texas is being seized, and to see them complain about the "sanctuary cities" in California while wildfires there are out of control due to Trump becoming nothing more than a thief and stealing the money needed to fight them.

And this is NOT an emergency. Trump himself admitted such.

Last edited:
    Years
  • this is a show for him to look good in front of fox news and far-right media pundits in some sort of effort to look like he's trying to actively fight for their wall.

even if it gets struck down in court, he'll look like the victim instead of taking on the blame. as long as the blame is never on trump, that's what matters to him.

Maedar

Banned
    Years
  • Apparently declaring a National emergency is a thing presidents do. Obama had 13.

Oh, and btw, Bush also declared 13 National Emergencies.

And the Whataboutism is, to be blunt, getting stale. Obama is not President anymore. Let him go, focus on Trump.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Hiring more translators and judges while great, won't fix illegal immigration. There are millions that want to come from all around the world, they should all have an equal chance to get in and have their case heard in an orderly fashion. Giving preferential treatment to one set of people because they come from a country close to our border and they can make the trek to come is wrong. Having a wall up does many things to slow down the import of illegal drugs, slow down or stop human traffickers, and slow down or stop illegals who do not want to follow the same process the rest of the world goes through.

Where did I say that? I didn't mention any countries of origin, there's loads of places where English isn't spoken often. Also it's kind of ironic you say that yet talk about how great building a wall on the SOUTHERN BORDER where many countries close to the US lie. It's so clear you don't want people from central/south america or there'd be no need for such a wall. A southern border wall won't stop someone from Canada will it?

You can't cause all these people to suffer just because some of them may have drugs, and forcing them to wait in nasty immigrant camps is inhumane.

And also this wall was proposed to stop people from the south anyway, he's declaring an emergency because of immigrants from the south. Not that those from other places are treated any better.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Hiring more translators and judges while great, won't fix illegal immigration. There are millions that want to come from all around the world, they should all have an equal chance to get in and have their case heard in an orderly fashion. Giving preferential treatment to one set of people because they come from a country close to our border and they can make the trek to come is wrong. Having a wall up does many things to slow down the import of illegal drugs, slow down or stop human traffickers, and slow down or stop illegals who do not want to follow the same process the rest of the world goes through.

It's not really about giving special treatment to a particular group as it is finding a more humane way to deal with illegal immigration. You seem to keep ignoring the statement about how most of the people who come across the Texas-Mexico border are coming just for a better life/to escape the poor conditions of their home countries, and not for any malicious reasons. Building a wall is basically just saying "fuck you, go back to your terrible situation".

These people likely choose to immigrate illegally instead of legally because immigrating legally is not a viable or appealing option for them. So then the solution is make the legal immigration process very appealing so as few people as possible make that choice. There are other effective ways to secure the border (and yes, no solution is perfect--including the wall--but that's not a reason to not pursue them), and ones that apply to all our borders and not just one.

Years
  • ALT, usually listening to your rambling and absurdities as you blindly agree with the Republican with the most authority is an amusing way to pass the time.

THIS time, however, it is a WASTE of time.

Trump's wall would accomplish nothing except serve as a monument to his ego, and as I have stated before, is an impossible structure.

And you know what? It is doubtful that few if any Trump supporters or Trump voters (of which I am not a Trump voter), cares if it is a monument to his ego. He could put a neon sign up with his name in big giant letters if he wanted to, what matters is the wall is completed, because as discussed in a previous thread this week, areas that have walls see a drop in illegal immigration.

Marth said:
    Where did I say that? I didn't mention any countries of origin, there's loads of places where English isn't spoken often. Also it's kind of ironic you say that yet talk about how great building a wall on the SOUTHERN BORDER where many countries close to the US lie. It's so clear you don't want people from central/south america or there'd be no need for such a wall. A southern border wall won't stop someone from Canada will it?

Last time I checked, we do not have a massive illegal immigration problem happening from Canada.

Marth said:
    You can't cause all these people to suffer just because some of them may have drugs, and forcing them to wait in nasty immigrant camps is inhumane.

Then what is your suggestion? Catch and Release? Letting them go on the promise that they will some day appear in court? Is that not giving them a de facto free pass?

Nah said:
    It's not really about giving special treatment to a particular group as it is finding a more humane way to deal with illegal immigration. You seem to keep ignoring the statement about how most of the people who come across the Texas-Mexico border are coming just for a better life/to escape the poor conditions of their home countries, and not for any malicious reasons. Building a wall is basically just saying "psyduck you, go back to your terrible situation".

Guess what, South and Central American countries do not have a monopoly on people who want to come to America to have a better life. I am sure I could find tens of millions living in Africa, the Middle East, or China that would love to come here. Thing is unlike Central and South America they cannot just hop a border. Building a wall says "You are not special, you have to come in through the process just like the people from every where else in the world".

Nah said:
    These people likely choose to immigrate illegally instead of legally because immigrating legally is not a viable or appealing option for them. So then the solution is make the legal immigration process very appealing so as few people as possible make that choice. There are other effective ways to secure the border (and yes, no solution is perfect--including the wall--but that's not a reason to not pursue them), and ones that apply to all our borders and not just one.

There are ways that the immigration process needs to be expanded upon and improved, especially in terms of log jams and wait times. However any immigration process is going to take months or years, and there is still no guarantee they will be accepted. Why would an illegal immigrant choose to wait that long when they could just cross the border unimpeded now?

Last edited:

Maedar

Banned
    Years
  • ALT, the wall will never be completed, period.

It's an impossible structure that would prove too costly and too difficult to build and maintain.

I find it just as likely as his Space Force idea ever coming to fruition.

Last edited:
    Years
  • ALT, the wall will never be completed, period.

It's an impossible structure that would prove too costly and too difficult to build and maintain.

There does not need to be a complete wall from California to the Gulf, as there are mountains, deserts, and other steep obstacles that act as a natural barrier. However the more wall completed the better, there is already 700 miles of wall/fences in place from 2006, another 50 or so miles added on through the bill passed, and who knows how much more added through the national emergency declaration.

Honestly though I would rather it be some of the more concrete structures developed a year or so ago, that were said to be unclimbable.

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Guess what, South and Central American countries do not have a monopoly on people who want to come to America to have a better life. I am sure I could find tens of millions living in Africa, the Middle East, or China that would love to come here. Thing is unlike Central and South America they cannot just hop a border. Building a wall says "You are not special, you have to come in through the process just like the people from every where else in the world".

There are ways that the immigration process needs to be expanded upon and improved, especially in terms of log jams and wait times. However any immigration process is going to take months or years, and there is still no guarantee they will be accepted. Why would an illegal immigrant choose to wait that long when they could just cross the border unimpeded now?
    Risk-reward. It's why I said "the solution is make the legal immigration process very appealing". If you make legal immigration worth the wait and illegal immigration not worth the risk, especially in the face of the benefits of legal immigration, people will choose to immigrate legally. Making them inclined to immigrate legally (which effects all immigrants) also means that they "have to come through the process like everyone else".

No solution is going fix the problem immediately, not even the wall.

Years
  • Risk-reward. It's why I said "the solution is make the legal immigration process very appealing". If you make legal immigration worth the wait and illegal immigration not worth the risk, especially in the face of the benefits of legal immigration, people will choose to immigrate legally. Making them inclined to immigrate legally (which effects all immigrants) also means that they "have to come through the process like everyone else".

No solution is going fix the problem immediately, not even the wall.

There are two ways I could see going about this, neither of which seem politically viable but please tell me if you have any other ideas.

"The Stick" approach: This is something that makes illegal immigration so painful that it does not become worth it. Things like National ID cards, making E-Verify mandatory for anyone hired, prison time and massive fines for anyone that hires illegal immigrants, potential hard labor jail time, or fines to family members living in other countries of illegal immigrants.

"The Carrot" approach: This seems more of a dangerous approach, but basically there is no quota limit on legal immigration, instead of 500,000 a year, basically anyone who goes into an embassy, gets a routine background check of a few hours, is shipped to America. This while quick, does not allow for lengthy background checks, still does not stop criminals from crossing illegally because they know they will fail the background check, and would basically flood America with low skilled workers who need government subsidies because there is not enough jobs to go around.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Por que no los dos?

But really, the specifics on how to make legal immigration more appealing and illegal immigration less appealing are not something I think I could comment on honestly, I don't think that I know enough to do so.

Maedar

Banned
    Years
  • I'm going to lay this out one point at a time:

1. The Cost: Trump first estimated it would cost anywhere between $4 and $12 billion, and the numbers keep changing. His idea was to build a 2,000-mile wall that's 35 feet high. Engineers are estimating, however, that it would cost $10 billion for the concrete panels, $5 billion for steel columns to hold the panels (labor included), and $1 billion for the foundation. Then we have to take transportation into account. We'd have to build roads to accommodate trucks hauling concrete and steel to remote locations in the middle of the desert. Let's be generous and say that costs another $2 billion. Now add 30 percent for management costs, engineering, and design. That makes $23.4 billion dollars if everything goes according to budget. Which it won't. When was the last time any major government project stayed within its budget? And that's just building it. The wall also has to be maintained. The Congressional budget office says the cost for that would exceed the building cost in only seven years. AND you have to staff it. Even if you only assigned one person per mile, that's 2,000 federal workers per shift, and they all need salaries, pensions, insurance, all that stuff.

2. It would only stop half of illegal entries. The idea that all illegals are the result of people sneaking or being smuggled across the border is a myth. Half of them enter through airports, trains, and other legitimate ways, and then overstay their visas. The wall won't stop that. And those who do sneak in come with legit trade cargo and other means. Trump hasn't said anything about more inspections of goods crossing the border.

Furthermore, the Wall would likely be worthless as a barrier. Proponents point to the one in Israel, even though tunnels have been found under that one frequently, some of them miles long and wide enough to drive a car through! The Berlin Wall was breached so often - despite armed guards with shoot-to-kill orders - that Berlin now has a museum at Checkpoint Charlie dedicated to such escapes.

3. It would cause a LOT of environmental damage. The Rio Grande River runs along the border, and you can't build such a structure on a river, or even right next to one; most border fences are miles away from the actual border. A wall would prevent water from flowing into the river, causing floods when it rains and drying up the river when it doesn't. Animals like jaguars would need to adapt new migration patterns or starve. Bush had to override over thirty EPA standards - including the Endangered Species Act and Clean water Act - simply to put up fencing.

4. Mexico will never pay for it. Here's a brief lesson in Mexican politics. They have elected officials just like we do. They have political parties, just like we do, they're divided on the issues, just like we are, and they hate each other as much as American politicians do.
    But they all agree that siding with Trump on this issue is political suicide. Their current President won by a landslide by making "refusal to cave to Trump" part of his platform.

As for Trump's idea to raise border tariffs, he'd have to ask Congress for that, and it's doubtful they'd agree to it. Food prices would soar and nobody in Congress wants to go on record for jacking up food prices. Know why corn is so cheap? Well, it's related to the reason Iowa has one of the most important caucus.

5. Much of the proposed wall is on private property. In Texas, no less, a state Republicans simply cannot afford to lose. You can argue Eminent Domain all you like. Courts are already backlogged decades with similar cases..

6. You think this will stop smugglers? It's already making them rich! Mexican cartels who smuggle drugs and smuggle people across the border are already charging more for their services by using the threat of the wall as an excuse for hazard pay. And again, this is no barrier.

7. It will never be finished. To give a comparison, the I-80 highway took 30 years to build, and that didn't have any of the above problems. Even if Trump wins a second term, his successor will likely cancel the project. Some idealists think Pence is next in line, but even if, by some miracle he is, Pence ain't stupid. He quickly cancelled his Religious Freedoms Act when he realized the economic disaster it was about to cause Indianapolis, and it's doubtful he wants this even worse disaster on his shoulders.

Edit: This just in: Trump's own lawyers now say his national emergency is unconstitutional and impeachable:

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/02/tr...al-impeachable/?utm_source=push_notifications

Last edited:
    Back