• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

turn it off and on again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I guess my biggest concern is portability. I found an ASUS laptop last night at Fry's Electronics that is well below the price range I want ($1,100 is my budget). It had an i5, 12 GB memory, and a good graphics driver (AMD Radeon HD, don't know the exact gen, with 2 GB). It was $600, but I wondered why it was so low. I couldn't find any flaws about it.

Since I'm almost rarely at home, I'm better off buying a gaming laptop. I still require that portability where I can just take my PC gaming with me all around. But looking at my boyfriend's experience who currently owns a Lenovo IdeaPad Y540 (?) (i7, 2 GB Nvidia graphics driver, 8 GB memory), I'm trying to stay away from those kinds since they actually overheat when you run games at high settings. So maybe I'm just picky on brand after all.

Going Asus is actually a pretty good way to guarantee yourself no cooling issues (as long as the heatsink-vents aren't blocked) :)

Even the single-fan N56/G56 (rebadges of each other) didn't have throttling issues playing high-end video games back in their prime, and pretty much every G-series laptop Asus have are more than capable of dealing with the heat.

Though, I strongly suggest you ignore anything with AMD inside. Just saying. Not exactly the best place to be when you need to be mobile.

Where do you plan to buy your laptop from? If there's an online store, I might feel inclined to pick for you. $1100 can buy you A LOT of laptop.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
    Anywhere that's not Best Buy or Wal-Mart. I'm aiming at computer stores like Micro Center or Fry's since the people there actually understand what I'm talking about.

Online wise, Newegg.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Went to micro center and fell in love with this baby.

https://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-pavilion-15-non-touch-m0u61av-1

I'm not a fan of HP, though.

Now I wonder if HP's reliability issues has more to do with how they ship a lotta more computers than most others... At $900, it is a good starting point, and you do get a lot of hardware, and you also get a 1080p display and 802.11ac Wi-Fi and Bluetooth if you add another 80 bucks (50 + 30).

Although that HP seems nice, it does feel like a raw deal, to be honest, especially when you can get this and still stay within budget. Heck, with the leftover cash, you could buy a decent mouse and mousepad to go along with it, and then you have a quad-core i7 machine with a GTX 965M (which is quite a lot faster than a 950M), 16 GB of RAM, and a 17" 1080p display that won't look awful if you look at it wrong. :) Oh, and there's GigE if you're into wired. And it comes with 802.11ac Wi-Fi + Bluetooth by default.

Oh, and did we mention that you can easily add a second HDD or SSD easily later on? It has a free 2.5" slot. :)

For reference, this is the GTX 965M and how it fares in games, and this is the GTX 950M Night and day. :) The CPU is a bit old, but still very powerful (Intel is good at that) :)

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    We have a Pavillion m7640n that's still tanking on after around 10 years. It's only now starting to suffer from hardware failure. The DVD drive doesn't read DVDs, only CDs, and the multi-card reader is completely dead. I think the RAM is also starting to die, as the computer is slow as **** for whatever reason.

What I'm thinking I'll do with it is when it does die on my mother, I'll replace the desktop for her, and take this one, try replacing some of its parts, and turn it into a Linux fileserver/host for use around home.

Indeed...

Though one does wonder if he should get an Asus ROG instead, considering that he's getting a whole lot more out of that. Then again, I guess I'm a bit more value-minded than normal.

Years
    I think it's unfair how HP products for the average consumer only fail after less than five years; that's how my old Windows 7 laptop was at least. Toshiba does a great job though considering how my laptop has now held on for a solid two years.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Oh, definitely. I had an HP tower that lasted 10 years from 2001-2011. The reason it's no longer with me now is because its power supply died.

Was the power supply custom? :)

Though one does wonder if getting a new machine might be worth more at this point, though.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Yay finally i got a plan to buy Geforce 750 Ti at RM 700.

You should save just a little bit more and get a GTX 950. Why?

This.

turn it off and on again

Does it sound expensive? Judging from the price lists here, it's not much more expensive. Expect to pay around 200 ringgits more, but in exchange, you get a much more capable card, and it even gives you more features!

Just want to make sure about one thing, though - what's your current power supply?

killer-curry

Oro.........?
    Years
    Hmm ok... Well because I still need to save for buying laptop for about Rm 2000 to Rm 3500 so I would buy this.

Furthermore, I will go to college so I would not go back often to home. I would not bring it to my hostel cuz it's freaking huge.

Btw the power supply is 165 W Max.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Hmm ok... Well because I still need to save for buying laptop for about Rm 2000 to Rm 3500 so I would buy this.

Furthermore, I will go to college so I would not go back often to home. I would not bring it to my hostel cuz it's freaking huge.

Btw the power supply is 165 W Max.

Oh dear. 165 watts? That must have been a pre-built by an OEM - was it one?

Either way, I think you're much better off spending that 700-900 ringgits towards your future laptop and make it a proper gaming laptop. Maybe a GTX 950M/960M/965M laptop makes more sense now.

I think there's a bunch of Asuses and MSIs that you can get for around that price point that exactly fits the description of a GTX 950/960M...

Last edited:

killer-curry

Oro.........?
    Years
    It's cooler master brand anyway. The power supply 360W by the way. The seat locker blocks the info

Yeah the performance for those cards are quite relatively same as 750ti. I guess I would go for 960 for desktop cap

Last edited:

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    It's cooler master brand anyway. The power supply 360W by the way. The seat locker blocks the info

Yeah the performance for those cards are quite relatively same as 750ti. I guess I would go for 960 for desktop cap

Yeah, I guess that might make sense.

What video card is already in your desktop, and while we're at it, the rest of the components? Just thinking about whether you should upgrade your video card and power supply, or just get a laptop that may or may not be more capable than your current desktop.

killer-curry

Oro.........?
    Years
    I guess I told before but nvm let's put it again.

Processor: Intel Core i5 750 2.67 Ghz ( OC 3.2Ghz actually it can be pushed to 3.6ghz but I currently using stock cooler so no.)

Motherboard P7P55 LX ASUS

Graphic card Radeon HD 6670

500GB Western Digital HDD

One external fan

Huge case

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I guess I told before but nvm let's put it again.

Processor: Intel Core i5 750 2.67 Ghz ( OC 3.2Ghz actually it can be pushed to 3.6ghz but I currently using stock cooler so no.)

Motherboard P7P55 LX ASUS

Graphic card Radeon HD 6670

500GB Western Digital HDD

One external fan

Huge case

Hmm, the system is indeed just a decent video card from running every single game at good settings. Why not just save a little bit more and get a 950 or 960 of the soured-up variety? Something like the Asus Strix, GIGABYTE Windforce, or MSI Gaming. Should look obvious from their looks that they have nicer cooling. As for the laptop, perhaps something decent enough from Asus will work more than well enough.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back