• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

turn it off and on again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
    Really? Shoot. Because I was planning to downgrade to 7 on this laptop and try to dualboot Linux after getting my gaming PC. I really want to get back into Linux soon. I miss it.

Years
    Really? Shoot. Because I was planning to downgrade to 7 on this laptop and try to dualboot Linux after getting my gaming PC. I really want to get back into Linux soon. I miss it.
    There's tons of tutorials out there you might be able to follow on how to get 7 on your laptop if you want to follow those :)

Years
    So my iPod hasn't backed up automatically to iCloud in the past month or so, and I can't figure out why...

Years
    Do you have enough space on your iCloud account for it to back itself up to?
    I have the standard 5GB of space, but my iPod says I have no backups at all, the last backup was Never, and all the apps in backup options say No Data, and the next backup size says 0 bytes.

EDIT: After some patience, it finally gave me a backup size of 2.1 GB, but the backup time itself is now stuck on calculating time.

Years
    I have the standard 5GB of space, but my iPod says I have no backups at all, the last backup was Never, and all the apps in backup options say No Data, and the next backup size says 0 bytes.

EDIT: After some patience, it finally gave me a backup size of 2.1 GB, but the backup time itself is now stuck on calculating time.

You've tried turning iCloud backups on and off already, right?

iOS is dumb about things like that.

Years
    You've tried turning iCloud backups on and off already, right?

iOS is dumb about things like that.
    Yep, and I've re-authenticated within iCloud settings too, alongside turning the device on and off again. Now iCloud tells me that I have 3.3GB of 5GB free, yet when I go to delete an attempted backup (that failed), it won't let me, and the storage doesn't free up.

Years
    Can you delete it through the web iCloud interface?
    I don't even know where I'd find where to do that in the web interface though; I've looked all over.

Oh, and there's this as well:

turn it off and on again

EDIT: Got rid of the ghost space by individually turning off each app to back up then deleting the master backup1. It's now backing up successfully.

Last edited:
    Years
    I guess I can be glad that I usually just do a ROM backup to my SD card when I need to, it's much easier than backing up data to the cloud when so many technical issues can arise like that, especially when Android doesn't really have a plug-in-and-upgrade option like iOS does (Although some phones do). At the same time though, it does the entire device, but sometimes I do want just apps. I'd rather have a full backup though, just in case.
    I usually back up to the computer on occasion, but I just hope that what happened above is just an iOS software glitch and not my iPod as a whole.

Years
    Yeah, I'd assume that's probably a software error. Mine are usually SD card space errors. I am considering a new SD card, but I'm also considering a new phone now that I have a credit card to cover a portion of any new device.
    I'm still kinda eh when it comes to putting card info on mobile devices. I get that it's convenient, but at the same time, how safe is it really, especially now that we have credit cards coming with chips in them for more encryption?

Years
    We use the chip cards here pretty much daily,. I heard from a coworker that everyone still swipes in the US.
    Yeah, there are still quite a few retailers where you have to swipe, but it's becoming mandated for swiping to get phased out in favor of inserting with a chip. Last year it was mandated to all card companies to issue cards with chips.

Years
    I know for the longest time Costco required swiping, even here in Canada. They did it because swiping was actually faster than using chip, and the cashiers are timed with items/minute and guests/hour. Because chip transactions take a slight bit longer, it throws off those numbers. Honestly, I didn't like that because they were sacrificing user security for their own bottom line.

I haven't been in a Costco for a few years now, but I think they finally made the switch not too long ago.
    Wow, that's kinda horrible that they'd prefer quota over security.

By the way, how long has Canada used the chipped cards?

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I'd say about 5-7 years in there somewhere. I'd have to double check, but I do remember my first debit card not having a chip.

Also apparently just not too long ago my cable modem did a major update. I unplugged it twice in the process because I had zero indication of such and I thought it was just the modem being a derp, fortunately that didn't deter it.

Makes me wonder what it'd take to truly brick a hardware device that's trying to update itself these days.

Am I crazy for wanting to add another 970?

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
    In regards to card swiping and chip cards, my current workplace has the new chip card readers yet we do not accept chip transactions. Which I find it so weird because the majority of our customers use chip cards and they had to turn away from us because we don't read chip cards. It kinda hurts us as a business, our company really needs to step up on that asap.

Years
    In regards to card swiping and chip cards, my current workplace has the new chip card readers yet we do not accept chip transactions. Which I find it so weird because the majority of our customers use chip cards and they had to turn away from us because we don't read chip cards. It kinda hurts us as a business, our company really needs to step up on that asap.
    Really, that's causing customers to turn away? I understand it's not quite secure yet, but at least cards are manufactured to be backwards-compatible in instances like this.

Years
    Here, if a chip-based credit card is swiped, it'll just require a signature. However, if you do the same with a debit card and the machine has a chip slot, it'll force you to use the chip. If the chip fails to read and it forces you to swipe, it'll actually decline the card in all cases. It's probably done for security.
    The only retailer I can think of that forces chip-insertion on chipped cards at the credit card terminal is Target. Walmart is compatible with both swiping and inserting. Other than those two, there aren't many more major retailers I can think of that have chip support. I think Best Buy does, but I'm not too sure.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
    Yeah, pretty much. We've had a lot of credit card security breaches here in Houston as well as the rate for identity theft is super high. So people these days are super reliant on secure purchases. It's either swipe or pay in cash, otherwise there's not much we can do until those chip readers can read those types of cards.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back