• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Type Matchup Roundup!

Are you satisified with the new alterations to the Pokémon type matchup chart and other modificat

• Total voters

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
  • I like how Poison, Steel and Fire Pokemon got some love (Poison and Steel are strong against Fairy, while Fire resists it). But then again, Steel got nerfed this time around, since they're no longer resistant to Dark and Ghost, making Jirachi, Metagross and Honedge fear Pursuit. Ghost Pokemon, especially Gengar, may become more prominent this generation.

I also think the Fairy type is a good way to keep Dragons in check, but I didn't like how they resist Bug, considering that Bug isn't really the best attacking type.

What I didn't like about the type chart is that Ice Pokemon didn't get changed at all; they're so defensively weak and another resistance wouldn't hurt, IMO.

Years
  • I am pleased with the changes made; however, grass needed the resistance to fairy! Fire, with few weaknesses and more type-strengths, shouldn't have been the only one to receive the additional resistance, though certainly I would be fine if BOTH grass and fire attained the fairy-resistance.

The immunity to status powders if great and all, but hardly anything AS significant as a resistance to another type.

The downgrade on steel resistances with a major plus granted the additional resistance to fairy, and the changes to electric types immunity to paralyze status was a great addition.

I voted for indifferent.

Shrew

is a Shrew
    Years
  • I am pleased with the changes made; however, grass needed the resistance to fairy! Fire, with few weaknesses and more type-strengths, shouldn't have been the only one to receive the additional resistance, though certainly I would be fine if BOTH grass and fire attained the fairy-resistance.

Agreed. Fairies are frequently depicted as creatures that live in harmony with nature, so not only does it make sense that fairies wouldn't want to harm their home, but it would have been an appropriate boost for Grass.

Given that Steel was already the best defensive type in the game, I was worried when I heard the rumors that they'd have the advantage over fairies months ago. I'm really glad Gamefreak took away 2 resistances in exchange for 1 resistance and 1 supereffective. They put a lot more thought into it than I anticipated. :)

Do you guys think Ghost types will still be affected by Pursuit's special effect? I think they will, but a youtuber was saying how he hoped otherwise.

Jimmyray

Bish Bash Bosh
    Years
  • 3 changes to the steel type and still the concept of water rusting metal is not taken into account...

Other than that, glad steel's resistance to dark and ghost has gone, I never quite got that. Metagross and Bronzong will suffer from that. Fairy matchups seem a little random, or just made to balance the game a bit. I like what fairy is super-effective against, but a lot of the others don't make a lot of sense to me. It will make it very interesting nonetheless.

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
    Years
  • I don't agree with the powder and the spore resistances for the grass or the paralysis resistance for the electric type. Let me explain, koff~

In this wonderful world we call Earth, there are a thousand thousand organisms that feed off of others. Mushrooms spread spores to survive, mosses are parasitic and kill off trees, while mistletoe is pure evil; and there are hundreds of other plants that kill each other off in droves, koffi~

The reason why you rarely see this bloody battlefield is because it is a slow battle. Taking as little as a season to a number of decades. Other plants harm other plants by seeding, spores and reproduction. So it doesn't make sense to me to negate an entire chain of moves.

Also, electric type immune to all paralysis? Please no, koff~

Years
    • Seen Dec 7, 2013
    I think the new matchups are great! Kind of... If only they made Fairy types a little bit less OP, than maybe I would like it better xD.

Years
    • Seen Sep 30, 2020
    Super-effective against Dragon-type, Fighting-type, and Dark-type Pokémon, all extremely common types with powerful offenses and some defense, so that should get those guys out of the way.
    Not very effective against Fire-type, Poison-type, and Steel-type Pokémon; now we can have more defensive uses for these guys, and fire-types may have a nicer use.

Weakness to Poison-type and Steel-type moves, 2 of the types that have the worst coverage, giving such attacks an actual use. Very nice.
    Resistance to Fighting-type, Bug-type, and Dark-type moves, considering how common close combat and other fighting type moves as well as u-turn, this is a nice bonus.

Immunity to Dragon-type moves, that should make Stab Outrage much more manageable, or at least worth a lot of laughs when they get stuck on outrage to a fairy. Hallelujah.

All and all, I'm really liking the fairy type. It definitely should make some changes

Also immunity to spore and stun spore with grass types... it's about time.

Though a stealth rock nerf would be equally as nice, and removing ghost type and dark type resistance from steel? Poor Metagross and Bronzong...

This definately should change the metagame a bit. By how much exactly, your mileage may vary.

Back