• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ultimate Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sora247_2009

Will Sprite for food!!
Years
  • Well, I did alot so I'm not gonna post it all. Basically, i got to Celadon, and went straight to Saffron to get Hitmonlee. 3 badges right now.

Team:

Primeape lv36
    Lonely Nature
    Cross Chop
    Karate Chop
    Aerial Ace
    Dig

Hitmonlee lv26
    Hardy Nature
    Rolling Kick (Soon to be Rock Slide)
    Hi Jump Kick
    Brick Break
    Focus Energy

myrrhman

Challenge God
    Years
  • I finished off team galactic up on stark mountain, and then killed palkia. I sorta wanted to catch it too... oh well. then i did some stuff and headed to sunnyshore.
    Went in the final gym and fairly easily beat all the trainers inside. But, I'm going to cry because my team is incredibly underleveled, and I don't think i'm going to be able to make it past his Octillery.

Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2011
    I did some stuff. Got through rock tunnel, beat some trainers and now I'm in Celadon. Team Rocket soon. Joy.
    Team:
    Pidgeotto LVL 30
    Raticate LVL 31
    Jigglypuff LVL 28
    Clefairy LVL 30

Years
  • After a long time with no update, i'm back with a large one.

-caught a spearow to trade for farfetch'd
    -went to vermillion and got cut
    -skipped surge
    -rushed through rock tunnel
    -headed to celedon and bought lemonade, water, a pokedoll and a water stone (got TM 13)
    -cut through saffron on thw ay back (got TM 29)
    -beat ghost tower, got pokeflute
    -beat snorlax on silence bridge, got super rod
    -beat other snorlax, took bike path the fuschia
    -caught a staryu, which i eveoleved right away
    -went into safari zone and got HM 3 and 4
    -went back to vermillion
    -beat all the trainers on the route to the east
    -beat surge with a level 23 starmie
    -went down bike path again, this time battling all the trainers
    -beat koga
    -surfed to cinnabar, beat blaine and revived kabuto, which i stopped training shortly after
    -beat erika
    -cleaered out silph co. and got lapras
    -beat koji, sabrina and Giovanni
    -got through victory road
    -starmie swept Loreli and Bruno, blastoise swept agatha, starmie took out lance, withg help from lapras, who stalled dragonite
    -rival's alakazam kept using recover, but eventually fell
    -cleared kanto in 9 hours, 55 minutes.

Final Team:

Starmie (lvl 57)
    -Surf
    -Thunderbolt
    -Psychic
    -Ice Beam

Blastoise (Lvl 54)
    -Surf
    -Strength
    -Earthquake
    -Dig

Kabuto (Lvl 33)
    -Scratch
    -Takedown
    -Harden

Lapras (Lvl 15)
    -Water Gun
    -Growl

went on to johto only to find that none of my gen II games work anymore. so i started on heart gold

-started with totodile
    -ran the egg errand
    -beat rival
    -got to violet city.

current team:

Totodile (Lvl 11)
    -Scracth
    -Leer
    -Water Gun
    -Rage

myrrhman

Challenge God
    Years
  • Woohoo! Volkner was a lot easier than I thought. I beat him on the first try, without needing any healing items. So then I got the last two TMs I needed, got another heart scale, and went through Victory Road. It was pretty tough, but I made it through, healed, and beat Rival. So, I started suicide training on the elite four, spending all my money on revives and hyper potions, challenging Aaron incredibly underleveled, beating dustox, blacking out, fight him again, etc. etc. I got to Bertha a couple of times, and my team is gradually getting stronger. Empoleon learns Drill Peck in 3 levels, which will make Aaron much easier, because Heracross is my main problem. Right now, I send out Gyarados, lower his attack, switch to Wingull, die to Close Combat, bring Gyarados back out, switch to Bibarel, die to Close Combat, and then bring Floatzel out to battle.

Sora247_2009

Will Sprite for food!!
    Years
  • I have now aquired 5 badges. Poliwrath, so far, has been a massive asset to the team, completely solo'ing Koga's gym with Psychic. I'm planning on storming Silph with Hitmonlee later on tonight. Shouldn't be to hard.

Team:

Poliwrath lv42
    Sassy Nature
    Surf
    Secret Power
    Brick Break
    Psychic

Comments: Amazing so far. Planning a Sub-Punch for him utilising Sub and Focus Punch, plus 2 coverage moves, most likely Surf and Psychic.

Hitmonlee lv40
    Hardy Nature
    Rock Slide
    Hi-Jump Kick
    Strength
    Foresight

Comments: Ghost and Flying killer thanks to Foresight and Rock Slide. Pretty good so far, sure to be a massive asset against Agatha.

Primape lv41
    Lonely Nature
    Cross Chop
    Brick Break
    Dig
    Aerial Ace

Comments: Main fighter. Was amazing in the begging, and still is now, largely thanks to having the most powerful fighting move in my team, Cross Chop.

Nathanyiel

It seems you lost the game...
    Years
    • Seen Oct 23, 2012
    Suicune, the point of the challenge is to play through a game in EVERY generation in order. You have to start with Red, Blue, Firered, or Leafgreen.

I don't have time for a huge update, but I just got to the Ice Path and caught a Jynx. My team is a Piloswine, Lapras, and said Jynx.

Aquerex

A New Beggining
    Years
  • Um...it seems that I started my challenge with the wrong type, not realizing it until after Mt. Moon, so I'll just switch types, if that's Ok...

I was supposed to start with Bug type, but I started with Poison instead. My bad.

So anyways, I figured I should post a team update with my mistaken type.

Zubat | Lv 11
    -Leech Life
    -Astonish
    -Supersonic

Beedrill | Lv 15
    -Fury Attack
    -String Shot
    -Poison Sting
    -Harden

Ivysaur | Lv 16
    -Tackle
    -Sleep Powder
    -Vine Whip
    -Bullet Seed

Nidoking | Lv 17
    -Peck
    -Rock Tomb
    -Double Kick
    -Focus Energy

I've also obtained a total of 20 Pokemon so far to try and get the Exp. Share later on. I'm not using the non-poison type Pokemon, I caught though (duh)

myrrhman

Challenge God
    Years
  • All right guys, this is it. I beat the elite four after about 15 suicide missions. My team is still a little underleveled to be fighting the champion, but here we go.

I healed and revived everyone except Empoleon, who is barely under 1/3 health to activate his ability (which, strangely enough, is the first time I have used his ability.) Spiritomb was faster than me, but it used Embargo, and my surf took it down to about 2/3 health. I switched to Floatzel. It hit me with Psychic. I killed it with Waterfall.

She was sending out Roserade, so I switched to Gyarados. Extrasensory, Flamethrower, Energy Ball, Flamethrower put it at 1/3 health and me almost dead. I healed and she switched to Gastrodon. I switched to Whiscash, and she missed with muddy water. I hit with Earthquake to do 1/4 damage, and she hit with Sludge Bomb to do a very little bit. We traded Earthquakes and had about the same health left (a bit under half). I used Aqua Tail to try to do a little less damage, unfortunately it put Gastrodon in the red and she hit with muddy water to put me at 7/192. She healed and I used Earthquake. I healed and she used Muddy water, which dropped accuracy. I missed with EQ, she hit with Sludge Bomb, I hit with EQ, she hit with Stone Edge, I missed another EQ, and she killed me with her own. I didn't think she was low enough for Empoleon to one hit with Surf, so I sent out Floatzel, who froze with Ice Fang. Gastrodon thawed out that turn (I hate how the game cheats like that) and almost killed me with muddy water. I sacrificed Floatzel with a Waterfall (gastrodon has the tiniest sliver) and she killed me with Stone Edge. Empoleon finished it off with Shadow Claw.

Garchomp time. I tried Gyarados to drop its attack, and Giga impact did not kill me. I used Ice fang twice, almost killed it, and he healed with his berry. But, I froze him with the second Ice Fang. Amazingly enough, he didn't defrost, and I had enough time to revive Floatzel and Whiscash, as well as to heal Floatzel, Whiscash, and Gyarados. With everyone save Empoleon at full health, I finished it with an Ice Fang. 3/6 down.

I was typing this instead of paying attention to who she was sending out, so I kept Gyarados out, expecting her to send out Roserade. She sent out Lucario instead. It did slightly under half damage to me with Dragon Pulse, and I did the same with Flamethrower. Psychic put me in the red, and flamethrower put it in the low yellow. I healed off right before Aura Sphere, which did a third of my health, and after Dragon Pulse took me to under 1/3, I killed it with Flamethrower. 2 left

Milotic. I was waiting for this. I sent out Floatzel to combat it. I was thinking that hopefully, I will be able to drop its defense if I use Crunch enough. But I forgot that I only had 2 left. Damn. I got a critical hit with my first one though, which did 1/3 damage to it, and it did the same to me with surf. I used it again to put it at half, and it failed with a Mirror Coat. I used a Max Ether on Crunch (for some reason I didn't have any normal ones) and it got a critical hit and froze me with Ice Beam. With 23/171 health left, I felt it was appropriate to use a Full Restore, but I didn't have any, so I settled for a hyper potion for now. It used Ice Beam again. I healed with an Aspear Berry and took another Ice beam. Finally I got to use Crunch, which finally dropped its defense. Surf put me at 24 health. I hyper potioned up again and it failed again with mirror coat. And then crunch got Sooooooooo close to killing it. It used Aqua Ring to heal a bit. And then a Full Restore. Ugh. Crunch dropped defense again. The next crunch did almost half health, but I took a crit surf. Aqua Ring put him at just under half. Hmmm. I went for it without healing and paid the price. I put him in red without killing him, and he killed me with surf, and Aqua Ring took him out of red. I sent out Gyarados hoping to outspeed it or for it to do something stupid, but it didn't and Gyarados died to Ice Beam. Then I did what I should have done instead and sent out Bibarel. Used his life to Revive Floatzel. For some reason, Milotic used Mirror Coat on Bibarel. Damnit, its just getting health back from stupid Aqua Ring. I tried to see if I could get off a Rock Smash to drop its Defense, but it killed me. Hmm Hmm, back to buisness. Floatzel was snt out and once again failed to kill milotic by a sliver. But this time, surf didn't kill me, and I was able to kill it with the next crunch. Phew. Just a partially damaged Roserade left.

She sent out Roserade, I used Ice Fang, and killed it. GG Cynthia. Thank god I'm done with this Challenge.

Final, Champion Team:

Caesar, the level 57 Empoleon @ Mystic Water

Surf, Shadow Claw, Steel Wing, Drill Peck
    Constantly kept at under 1/3 health throughout the final elite four run, so his surf move, powered by Torrent combined with the mystic water, was strong enough to one hit Lucian's Bronzong.

Riptide, the level 54 Whiscash @ Rock Incense

Aqua Tail, Earthquake, Rock Slide, Rest <--never got a heart scale to replace with Zen Headbutt, which is really the only reason I got Whiscash
    Although he never learned one of his moves, he was vital both in beating the hardest Gym leader (Volkner) and the elite four (especially Aaron's Beautifly and Vespiquen).

Hydra, the level 50 Gyarados @ Wise Glasses

Ice Fang, Flamethrower, Surf, Thunderbolt
    Even though he wasn't the best Special Sweeper, with his Attack Stat being double that of his Special Attack, he did his job, and he did it well. In fact, he one hit almost the entire Snowpoint Gym by himself. The Wise Glasses really helped.

Motor, the level 53 Floatzel @ Fist Plate

Focus Blast, Waterfall, Ice Fang, Crunch
    Definitely the MVP of my final team. Fast enough to outspeed everyone save Lucian's Alakazam, he was also strong. Won the game for me with his top notch performance against Milotic.

And honorable mention to my two HM Slaves

HM Slave 1, the Bibarel

Rock Climb, Cut, Rock Smash, Strength

HM Slave 2, the Wingull

Fly, Defog

finally, I am on the Champion board.

GrassGiant

Grass Fan
    Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2014
    I've defeated the Elite Four of Emerald. I'm now uploading the videos and I'm gonna do my "normal" kind of updates the day they'll be all uploaded.

raekuul

Team Anorith Grunt
    Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2017
    It just occurred to me why all the flying monotypers have a Ninjask in their RSE Championship party. If you'll excuse me, I've got a nincada to train.

Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2010
    Just started, using Poison types. Playing on Red.

Current team:

| PLUNT | Level 13
    Tackle
    Growl
    Leech Seed
    Vine Whip

| MARY JANE | Level 10
    Poison Sting
    String Shot

| UNBADGER | Level 9
    Tackle
    Leer
    Horn Attack

Just beat Brock. I didn't have anything to take him with, so I set up a Leech Seed on both of his pokemon, and growled them down until they fainted. I gotta grind my Beedrill and Nidoran now.

Last edited:

Sora247_2009

Will Sprite for food!!
    Years
  • Well, my Kanto run is almost over. Thanks to Poliwrath, the E4 (minus Lance) and gyms 5, 6, 7, and 8 were a breeze. Right now, I'm saved infront of Lance, on my ~5th attempt (damn Aerodactyl).

Team:

Poliwrath lv60
    Sassy
    Surf
    Focus Punch
    Blizzard
    Substitute

Primeape lv57
    Lonely
    Cross Chop
    Earthquake
    Overheat
    Double Edge

Hitmonlee lv57
    Hardy
    Hi Jump Kick
    Return
    Foresight
    Rock Slide

Comments: So far, it's been a really fun run, and should continue to be with Lance. Poliwrath has been the MVP by far, with Hitmonlee being the LVP because of Primeape doing his job better. However, Hitmonlee has still been an amazing pokemon, saving me a number of times with it's good speed, and access to Foresight.

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2023
    Haven't updated in a while, since it took so long to train my friggin Mantine

-Tempo evolved
    -Went through the Lighthouse
    -Got a Sharp Beak from Monica, which will definitely help against Chuck
    -Surfed to Cianwood on Totodile. Surprisingly I didn't encounter much Pokemon
    -Battled Eusine. He was actually tough because of his Electrode. It knocked out Zangetsu and Kazeshini with it's stupid Thunder. Tempo was actually able to beat it because of Pidgeotto's Sand-Attack and because Hypnosis actually hit it! Haunter was a breeze, in fact it killed itself with Curse :P
    -Defeated Chuck. It was easier than expected since I thought Primeape's Rock Slide and Poliwrath's Hypnosis would get annoying. Turns out Zengetsu took out Primeape with one Wing Attack and Poliwrath didn't even use Hypnosis.
    -Caught a Mantine! (With my last Great Ball actually)
    -Grinded Mantine to use against Steelix
    -Beat Jasmine. Steelix was surprisingly easy for a Mantine 3 levels lower than it. It fainted after 2 Surfs. The Magnemites, though, were very annoying for Zangetsu, who mangaged to defeat them thanks to Confuse Ray.

Team:

Zangetsu - Lv33
    Holding Sharp Beak

Wing Attack
    Confuse Ray
    Air Cutter
    Bite

Tempo - Lv25
    Holding Quick Claw

Fly
    Confusion
    Shadow Ball
    Hypnosis

Kazeshini - Lv29

Twister
    Fly
    Gust
    Quick Attack

Mantine - Lv32

Surf
    Wing Attack
    Blizzard
    Water Pulse

rew_s11

ERROR 404
    Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2016
    Update on my dark challenge:

- caught murkrow,trained it
    - beat all kanto leaders
    - caught sneasel,trained it
    - beat red

Final team:

Lv 70

flamethrower
    nasty plot
    crunch
    shadow ball(yes I should have given dark pulse to him)
    Lv 67 - MvP
    payback
    return
    screech
    confuse ray

Lv 68

Focus Punch
    Ice shard
    Avalanche
    Torment

Lv 68

wing attack
    psychic
    dark pulse T.T
    sucker punch

Also I won't upload red battle cause it took 46 minutes

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2010
    - Caught a Zubat in Mt. Moon
    - Beat Rival
    - Bulbasaur evolves
    - Nidoran evolves twice
    - Beat Misty
    - Taught Nidoking Bubblebeam

Misty wasn't so bad, I just wish Starmie would have kept hitting itself in confusion instead of killing my Zubat.
    | PLUNT | Level 20
    Tackle
    Growl
    Leech Seed
    Vine Whip

| MARY JANE | Level 18
    Poison Sting
    String Shot
    Fury Attack
    Focus Energy

| UNBADGER | Level 16
    Tackle
    Bubblebeam
    Horn Attack
    Poison Sting

| DENNIS| Level 14
    Leech Life
    Supersonic

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 19, 2015
    Haven't played in a while but So far I have

Went to Celadon
    Got the coin case and bought a Pinsir(Gripper)
    Trained Gripper
    Beat Team Rocket
    Beat Rival01 in Pokemon tower
    saved mr.fuji
    Went to fushcia city to get a venonat
    Called it powder
    Went in Safari Zone and got gold teeth and surf
    Got strenght from warden.
    Saved

Team

Flutter lv.32

Confusion
    Gust
    Sleep powder
    Supersonic

Stinger lv.32
    Twin needle
    Rage
    Brick Break
    Pursuit

Mushes lv.32
    Stun Spore(forgot to learn Spore)
    Leech Life
    Dig
    Bullet Seed

Gripper lv.31
    Rock Tomb
    Brick Break
    Revenge
    Vicegrip

Powder lv.24
    Confusion
    ????(can't remember)
    ????(whatever other moves are it knows on this level)
    ????(Only just caught it so I didn't even check it's moves really)

Aquerex

A New Beggining
    Years
  • UPDATE: 2
    TYPE: Poison
    GAME: Fire Red
    BADGES: 3

"The Cascade Badge!"

-Made my way through Mt. Moon, ANNIHALIATING all the trainers.
    -Caught several more Pokemon to fill the Pokedex.
    -Went to Cerulean, beating my Rival, Blue.
    -Went all around to Bill's, checking out his cool Eeveelutions.
    -Caught an Ekans for permanant use on my team.
    -Used my newly caught Oddish to take out Misty's gym, with the assistance of Ivysaur.
    -Misty Battle! Staryu was actually harder than Starmie. Took several hits with Absorb to take it down with Oddish. For Starmie, I used Ivysaur, using only 2 Vine Whips to defeat it. Easy Badge. =)

"The Thunder Badge!"

-Went to Vermillion City, catching more Pokes for the 'Dex.
    -Beat EVERY trainer on the S.S. Anne
    -Beat Blue again mainly with Nidoking, my semi-overleved killer.
    -Got cut, taught it to a Meowth, along with Flash.
    -Traded my Abra for Mr.Mime, again, for the Pokedex.
    -Lt.Surge Battle! Voltorb was a little threat, taking out my Oddish with a few Sonicbooms. Nidoking took care of him. Pikachu was easy, 1HKO with Brick Break from Nidoking. Raichu was difficult. Spamming Double Team 6 times in a row did NOT help. Eventually beat it with 2 Brick Breaks. Somewhat of a more challenging gym...

NOW
    -Currently heading towards Rock Tunnel.

TEAM

Ivysaur | Lv21
    -Vine Whip
    -Sleep Powder
    -Tackle
    -Bullet Seed

Gloom | Lv21
    -Absorb