• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Underrated Pokémon

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
Years
  • Underrated

The little guys, out of the spotlight for the most part, and rarely ever selected due to various reasons.

With 493 Pokémon species in today's game, there are various selections trainers make for their teams. With so many species running around, there has to be overrated, or over hyped Pokémon... Along with others that get thrown under the rug that really have the potential to do well in battle or whichever you wish to use them for. XD So, I decided to revive Jeremy's topic on underrated Pokémon and see which Pokémon PokéCommunity thinks are underrated.
    Underrated Pokémon

Shaymin

Even though Shaymin is like "Hack! Hack! Hack!" on Wi-fi, Shaymin is an absolute monster on ShoddyBattle. Many people shy away from Shaymin due to being a grass type. But they really just haven't seen it destroy the OU metagame yet... Why? Simple, Choice Specs Seed Flare. A 40% drop in Special Defense, doubling Seed Flares power and making Shaymin much much better than Celebi, as Celebi has the simple Leaf Storm which only gets weaker. Even though the Choice Specs set is the only thing Shaymin has going for it, it's one huge ticket. I'm a heavy Celebi user myself, rather known for using it. However, Shaymin is the epitome of awesome, and I love using it. XD Being able to OHKO loads of the overused metagame is amazing to put it simply. Seed Flare is nothing to be underestimated with such a punch it can pack, not to mention Hidden Power [Fire] dealing with others.

Underrated Pokémon
    Azumaril

I've always thought Azumarill was better than everyone else thought. People look at it's base attack, walk away. "meh..." Huge power is a great ability, has to be one of the best in the game for that matter. It lures bulky waters in battle, so as long as they're removed, usually have a relatively easy and fun time picking things off with Choice band or possibly sword dance passing over to it with Gliscor, etc. Has great physical S.T.A.B and incredible attack. Which, for me, is music to my ears. XD Also, Azumarill can take a hit too, having base100 HP. Focus punch substitute Azumarill isn't a fun package to deal with either. Always loved a choice banded waterfall or Aqua Jet. ;D Both of these are BL tier, but I still think they are underrated in today's metagame anyway.

So, which Pokémon do you think are underrated, and why?

Asura Nirosuki

Shes a good person~
    Years
    • Seen Nov 12, 2014
    I actually raised up to a 72 Azumaril, Its defense was greater than its attack power which was a disappointment for me. I feel as though no one cares to use the 4 trading pokemon Machoke Kadabra Hunter Poilwhirl list goes on. Hunter was my favorite to use of all of them.

Glaceon_

Here today, [i]gone tomorrow...?[/i]
    Years
  • totodile

because hess so cute but no one seems to like the poor guy :(

Totodile is actually among my favourite Water Starters; I think I'd hold it higher than Squirtle, in my list. Of the four Water type Starters, the only one I don't like is Mudkip.

I concur on the Azumarill part, though. Azumarill is awesome, when it has Huge Power; it can be quite devastating, and actually, I took on a friend of mine with my Azumarill (which by some stroke of luck, had its Max Attack Power) and almost took on their entire team with just Azumarill. It was scary, seeing the little guy do so much damage.. XD; Granted, Azumarill is slow, but its pretty strong, with pretty decent defenses, as well as Base HP to boot.

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
  • I actually raised up to a 72 Azumaril, Its defense was greater than its attack power which was a disappointment for me. I feel as though no one cares to use the 4 trading pokemon Machoke Kadabra Hunter Poilwhirl list goes on. Hunter was my favorite to use of all of them.

Not finished evolutions are actually great examples of underrated Pocket Monsters, so I agree. On your Azumarill, if it had Huge Power, it doesn't show the boost on the stat sheet, just to note.

Glaceon_ said:
    Totodile is actually among my favourite Water Starters; I think I'd hold it higher than Squirtle, in my list. Of the four Water type Starters, the only one I don't like is Mudkip.

I concur on the Azumarill part, though. Azumarill is awesome, when it has Huge Power; it can be quite devastating, and actually, I took on a friend of mine with my Azumarill (which by some stroke of luck, had its Max Attack Power) and almost took on their entire team with just Azumarill. It was scary, seeing the little guy do so much damage.. XD; Granted, Azumarill is slow, but its pretty strong, with pretty decent defenses, as well as Base HP to boot.

You'll probably get flammed by raging mudpuppies... (kidding)

Agreed, Azumarill is a force, people just shy away from those stats when it can fit given the right team. :D

Another underrated, even though it's in the overused tier, would be Suicune. Suicune is debated as overrated and underrated all the time, I'm one of those that think it's underrated. CMcune can destroy teams not prepared for it. Not to mention it's move pool overall is excellent with all the sets it can carry.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Underrated Pokémon

Shaymin

Even though Shaymin is like "Hack! Hack! Hack!" on Wi-fi, Shaymin is an absolute monster on ShoddyBattle. Many people shy away from Shaymin due to being a grass type. But they really just haven't seen it destroy the OU metagame yet... Why? Simple, Choice Specs Seed Flare. A 40% drop in Special Defense, doubling Seed Flares power and making Shaymin much much better than Celebi, as Celebi has the simple Leaf Storm which only gets weaker. Even though the Choice Specs set is the only thing Shaymin has going for it, it's one huge ticket. I'm a heavy Celebi user myself, rather known for using it. However, Shaymin is the epitome of awesome, and I love using it. XD Being able to OHKO loads of the overused metagame is amazing to put it simply. Seed Flare is nothing to be underestimated with such a punch it can pack, not to mention Hidden Power [Fire] dealing with others.

I, myself don't use any legendaries when I'm constructing my team online. As per in game, I tend to use the main legendary of the game only (except with gold and silver versions). -- Anyway, I think the main reason people tend to favor Celebi over it, is the fact that Celebi has two types to it, which helps. Where as Shaymin is only a grass type, and can lose to poison moves easily. Celebi, on the other hand can hold it's ground against poison type moves.

I think tauros is underrated, simply because its a normal pokemon and its first gen

I'm going to have to agree with that one. I don't see many people using Tauros, it got outdated when Miltank came into the picture; which I agree with. Miltank is far more used than Tauros and seems stronger to me, along with the ability to recover it's HP when using Milk Drink.

I tend to like normal types, though, due to the fact that many of them (slash, stomp, etc.) are rather powerful when brought up to power using something such as swords dance.

totodile

because hess so cute but no one seems to like the poor guy :(

Most people end up starting with Totodile, due to the moves it can learn. I mean, slash is just powerful, and I tend to use that a lot during the games I play. Due to the moves that can boost it's power, I don't think it's really one of the ones that tend to be underused as much as not keeping it as a base evolution. I mean, many people would rather have it's evolution set, which to me is still a Totodile anyway, due to the fact that it's still kinda the same thing. Plus, sometimes the little guys/cute Pokemon are the ones some people tend to favor nowadays. XD

Anyway, in my opinion, all of the old Pokemon are starting to get Underatted lately with all of the strange new species being created and added to the newer games. I mean, to me, the newer Pokemon don't even look like Pokemon anymore, they just look like creatures. But, of course, that's just one person's opinion. But, that could be one of the reasons so many people are favoring the newer ones, along with the move sets they are bringing and how some of them SEEM to be unbeatable at some points when you're fighting against one of them online or off. XD I myself prefer the first and second generations over the later ones. I can't think of any in specific, but most of the flying bugs (Beedrill, Butterfree, Beautifly and Dustox) seem to be the ones most underatted lately.

revelp8

My mohawk is on fiiiyaaaa!
    Years
  • Nidoking is verily underrated as such. even though his stats aren't all that great, given proper EV training and IV breed, in the atk and speed accordingly, he can compete in OU tiers.

Same goes for Flygon. that levitate ability is so overlooked and it outclassed statwise by Chomp. but regardless, at least flygon can learn FLY. useful in game ^.^ and well, if you can pull off a fly in WFC battle, props to you :)

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Farfetch'd/Kamonegi/カモネギ. It's a sword-wielding duck, what's not to like? Although I like it without an evolution, it's one of the very few non-legendary first generation Pokemanz not to have one. I don't actually know for sure but I'd hazard my reckoning that it has higher attack and defence stats than most birds (maybe not their respective third evolutions though). It's also an endangered species (see Pokedex entries), which explains why it's relatively rare in the first place. T_T

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
  • I, myself don't use any legendaries when I'm constructing my team online. As per in game, I tend to use the main legendary of the game only (except with gold and silver versions). -- Anyway, I think the main reason people tend to favor Celebi over it, is the fact that Celebi has two types to it, which helps. Where as Shaymin is only a grass type, and can lose to poison moves easily. Celebi, on the other hand can hold it's ground against poison type moves.

Celebi is used for it's sheer versatility, not typing really. Celebi has an extreme amount of versatile movesets, which Shaymin does not.

Poison easily defeats Shaymin you say? There are few poison type Pocket Monsters that even out speed SpecsShay first off, let alone hidden power fire (standard on the set) shreds them apart too. So really, it's not poison type weakness, it's an extremely limited move pool and that Celebi outclasses it in every regard except Choice Specs.

Anyway, Generation one Pocket Monsters being underrated, I agree in a way. However, a good amount of forces in the metagame pop up there; Gyarados, Gengar, Starmie, Dragonite.

Speaking of Celebi, due to all of it's weaknesses type wise, it seems to be underrated for the most part in the past. However, it's usage has soared over the past year, so it's not really underrated now.

Pookachu

Chuck Norris
    Years
  • Scizor is pretty underrated. Its ability to U-Turn, which gains STAB, physical Pursuit and the trait Technician makes it a very useful Pokémon in the 4th generation. Also, it can Baton Pass away stat uppers such as Iron Defense, Swords Dance and Agility. (Use some Magnezone or other things to harm Skarmory)

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Celebi is used for it's sheer versatility, not typing really. Celebi has an extreme amount of versatile movesets, which Shaymin does not.

Which is due to it having a second type. You see in Shaymin's movesets it only has normal and grass type moves that are learned in leveling up, it only has four TM moves that are types other than normal and grass type moves. Whereas, Celebi can learn so many other types, as can so many other Psychic types.

Poison easily defeats Shaymin you say? There are few poison type Pocket Monsters that even out speed SpecsShay first off, let alone hidden power fire (standard on the set) shreds them apart too. So really, it's not poison type weakness, it's an extremely limited move pool and that Celebi outclasses it in every regard except Choice Specs.

Looking at some facts, yes. Even thought they both have the same resistance to poison type moves, Celebi has a psychic type as well as a grass, therefore, even though Shaymin can learn.. one actual useful psychic move, Celebi's are stronger due to having that psychic attribute at it's disposal.

So, all in all it works both ways. Sure Celebi is weaker with other types. The only fact of it, is the fact of poison species, which was the only one I mentioned. Along with that, I'm only mentioning the moves, not the weaknesses. Celebi is weaker against so many other types, but it can also cover those in which Shaymin cannot. (which is my main point. XD)

There, met half way. XD
    Be happy. XD

~ Of course, it would help if I actually used Shaymin and Celebi... *sigh* *cough*

Anyway, Generation one Pocket Monsters being underrated, I agree in a way. However, a good amount of forces in the metagame pop up there; Gyarados, Gengar, Starmie, Dragonite.

Out of most of the other generations out there, there are less of generation one species being brought into battle of any kind lately. Yes, I agree that Gyarados and Gengar are being used more than many others, but those two are included in many of the later generations. XD

Glaceon_

Years
  • You'll probably get flammed by raging mudpuppies... (kidding)

Agreed, Azumarill is a force, people just shy away from those stats when it can fit given the right team. :D

Another underrated, even though it's in the overused tier, would be Suicune. Suicune is debated as overrated and underrated all the time, I'm one of those that think it's underrated. CMcune can destroy teams not prepared for it. Not to mention it's move pool overall is excellent with all the sets it can carry.

Bring 'em on, I say. I can take them! XD

Yup. My team isn't the most amazing, (in the battle I used it in, I had to put two Water types into it; including Azumarill, because I've got such a small set of Pokemon) but it fitted in it quite well, but with a bit of tweaking, I'm pretty sure an ultimate team can be dragged up. Even its speed works at an advantage; allowing it to throw up a Sub, to prepare for Focus Punch, the next turn. Even though fast can be good, slow ans steady wins the race, as they say. XD

For comment on lower evolutions, I can agree; no one really uses them, because they usually don't play a lower-field battle front; like first stage evolution only. I'm planning to do one with a friend of mine, one day. Fighting with nothing but the basics sounds like a fun way of making yourself versatile with a situation.

Yeah. Though I've not really seen a lot of people use Alakazam, despite it having great speed and Special Attack. Could be a candidate for underratedness.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Underrated pokemon.

Relicanth : - Few people realize HOW scary a CB Head Smash is from that thing.

Zapdos : - Needs more credit, its one of the few pokemon thats actually NEVER let me down, it can also take one hell of a beating, an awesome baton passer, hell it can even sweep with Metal Sound. (Yes, that means it beats Blissey =D).

Machamp : - Sure its slow, but it can run a scary CB set and a very good rest-talk set.

Hariyama : - Again, a very underrated pokemon, it can be a nuisance with Knock off, Whirlwind, Toxic, Force Palm etc.

Gallade : - A pokemon with a whole array of support options thats often overlooked. Its Choice Band set, is again scary, it literally has no counter

Porygon 2 : - Is awesome, Recover and a whole array of annoying moves, such as Discharge etc. Trace is an awesome ability and few people realize how well this thing counters Gyarados AND Heatran to an extent.

Mamoswine : - Why dont more people use it ? Ice and Ground are ridiculously good STAB moves, its more than capable of severely hurting alot of things.

Spiritomb : - Totally outclasses Dusknoir IMO, its a really cool pokemon and few people give it the credit it deserves as a spin blocker.

Kingdra : - Again, why dont more people use it ? It can quite literally tear things apart in the rain.

Ill probably add more later, but thats if for now =p

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Yeah. Though I've not really seen a lot of people use Alakazam, despite it having great speed and Special Attack. Could be a candidate for underratedness.

Wow, where were you where they don't use Alakazam? I've seen a lot of people use one and crush three Pokemon. Provided it's got the right item, stats, etc. to go with it, I think Alakazam is one of those Beach Boy listed as well, seeing as how you stated about it's special attack. I don't think it's much underatted as it is underused. XD

That doesn't make much sense unless you read it about two, or three times. XD

Glaceon_

Years
  • Wow, where were you where they don't use Alakazam? I've seen a lot of people use one and crush three Pokemon. Provided it's got the right item, stats, etc. to go with it, I think Alakazam is one of those Beach Boy listed as well, seeing as how you stated about it's special attack. I don't think it's much underatted as it is underused. XD

That doesn't make much sense unless you read it about two, or three times. XD

*shrugs* Not seeing it in BeachBoy's post, and generally, when I've come across the odd battle on hosting sites, I've not really seen them used, but like you said; it likely became less overused, and I'm just playing the funny head, and somewhat mixing underused with underrated. XD; On top of that, there are a lot of Dark types out there, which spells trouble for any Psychic type; especially one with such low Defense as Alakazam. Weavile, as one, would definitely make quick work of any respective Alakazam.

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
  • Glaceon_ said:
    Bring 'em on, I say. I can take them! XD

I don't really think you can take the majority of PC... Or the entire mudkip fanclub for that matter. ;x

Which is due to it having a second type. You see in Shaymin's movesets it only has normal and grass type moves that are learned in leveling up, it only has four TM moves that are types other than normal and grass type moves. Whereas, Celebi can learn so many other types, as can so many other Psychic types.

Looking at some facts, yes. Even thought they both have the same resistance to poison type moves, Celebi has a psychic type as well as a grass, therefore, even though Shaymin can learn.. one actual useful psychic move, Celebi's are stronger due to having that psychic attribute at it's disposal.

So, all in all it works both ways. Sure Celebi is weaker with other types. The only fact of it, is the fact of poison species, which was the only one I mentioned. Along with that, I'm only mentioning the moves, not the weaknesses. Celebi is weaker against so many other types, but it can also cover those in which Shaymin cannot. (which is my main point. XD)

There, met half way. XD
    Be happy. XD

~ Of course, it would help if I actually used Shaymin and Celebi... *sigh* *cough*
    Mmm... kinda getting off-topic but just to defend...
    I disagree in a way... Yes, psychic attribute adds to it's versatility of moves. However, Celebi is heavily knocked for it's extra psychic type. Having a dark type weakness, and the major problem with that? Pursuit. With the extreme popularity of darkness out in the overused metagame, Celebi is actually put off many times for having such a weakness. I'm a heavy Celebi user, I know how threating pursuit is, and it's cost me various times unfortunately.

Poison is such a... how do I put this... rare type of use in the metagame due to all the steel types running around. So, it's not a valid reason for a Pocket Monster not to be used. Only use of poison moves out there that are heavily used is... well, Toxic. =/ It can cover some things Shaymin cannot, but in the only selection of the Specs sets, not at all. SpecsShay clearly outplays Celebi in that regard. period.

Okay, back on topic. ;D

D_A said:
    Kingdra : - Again, why dont more people use it ? It can quite literally tear things apart in the rain.

I completely agree, Kingdra is a sheer force (even in ubers) MixDra can shred things in half and I just don't see why people can see it's incredible potential. Agree with most of the others as well, D_A. Though, I see Mamoswine all the time, I don't really think it's underrated anymore. It used to be, but I think people finally realize it's destruction.

On the Alakazam one, I actually somewhat disagree, I'm not really a fan of it to boot. I think it's kinda overrated at this point. I've just seen Alakazam fail so many times in battle I don't really consider it useful. Dark is everywhere. o_o; However, that may just be me. *shrug*

Glaceon_

Years
  • I don't really think you can take the majority of PC... Or the entire mudkip fanclub for that matter. ;x

I completely agree, Kingdra is a sheer force (even in ubers) MixDra can shred things in half and I just don't see why people can see it's incredible potential.

On the Alakazam one, I actually somewhat disagree, I'm not really a fan of it to boot. I think it's kinda overrated at this point. I've just seen Alakazam fail so many times in battle I don't really consider it useful. Dark is everywhere. o_o; However, that may just be me. *shrug*

Well I can fall trying. :x But to save potential problems, for the community, I'll portray peace, while standing by my opinion. :)

I absolutely adore Kingdra! I got my first ever one on my Emerald, when I traded across to Colosseum to evolve it. XD It definitely has potential to be dangerous, despite the other Dragons being much more popular and stronger.

Interesting fact: It was the only Dragon type addition in the Second Generation.
    From glancing, the main focus seemed to be Normal types and Ground types. I've only glanced, though, so.. :)

Yeah; I realised my misunderstanding of Alakazam, with lnn's post. People call it a great Pokemon, but due to there being too much Dark around, and Alakazam's "only" counter for them being Focus Blast, (I think..) it isn't really reliable for use. Well.. at least we've deducted one Overrated Pokemon from the list, right? XD;

Konvict

Embrace The End
    Years
  • BeachBoy said:

Azumarill

I've always thought Azumarill was better than everyone else thought. People look at it's base attack, walk away. "meh..." Huge power is a great ability, has to be one of the best in the game for that matter. It lures bulky waters in battle, so as long as they're removed, usually have a relatively easy and fun time picking things off with Choice band or possibly sword dance passing over to it with Gliscor, etc. Has great physical S.T.A.B and incredible attack. Which, for me, is music to my ears. XD Also, Azumarill can take a hit too, having base100 HP. Focus punch substitute Azumarill isn't a fun package to deal with either. Always loved a choice banded waterfall or Aqua Jet. ;D Both of these are BL tier, but I still think they are underrated in today's metagame anyway.

I keep this little guy in my lineup, and it's got as much HP as my Garchomp and more Attack power than her (after factoring in Huge Power). Until recently I had Empoleon in my crew, but then with Empoleon around I'd have up to 4 Pokemon who go down after an Earthquake (Infernape/Blaziken, Lucario, Empoleon, and Tyranitar if I used him) and 3 Pokemon who go down from Aura Sphere/Close Combat. With Azumarill, not only are these weaknesses absent, it can even pick off the aforementioned Ground types with a Banded Waterfall/Aqua Tail, and most other types with brute force (Double Edge). All that's left would be Ice Punch to deal with enemy Dragons (but then again I've got Dragon Claw and Outrage for that) and he'd be complete.

Last edited:
    Back