• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Unova Pronunciation: You-Na-va? or Un-No-Vah?

How is it Pronounced?

• You-Na-Vu

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • Un-No-vah

Votes: 75 65.8%

• Total voters

JP

wut?
Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    I pronounce it "U-no-vah".

"You-Na-Vu" just sounds backwards lol.

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
  • So I decided to look up the new trailer and my face went like "Whattt? What did he just say? Idiot..." I hope they dont pronnounce it like that in the anime. That would just kill it before it even starts. Doesnt Japan give the US like a pronunciation guide or something?

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years

• That's what I was thinking, that people from diffferent languages will pronounce it differently because of their accent, and generally most of the public from that language would be accepting of that pronounciation because that's how they speak. Except in this case, where Americans seem to disagree with the pronouncation.

Either way, You-No-Va for me. As in U-Nova. I think the narrator pronounces it how most of us say it, just says it really quickly. :(
    Lol your post sounds as if you're saying that Austrilian English and American English are two different languages when they are not...yet...( I know you aren't but the use of the words different languages pronounce it differently sure makes it seems like you are)
    How do you get U-Nova from You-No-va? Just wondering?
    I think most of us pronounce it You-No-va so yeah he does pronounce it like most of us are :)

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
  • Lol your post sounds as if you're saying that Austrilian English and American English are two different languages when they are not...yet...( I know you aren't but the use of the words different languages pronounce it differently sure makes it seems like you are)
    I think most of us pronounce it You-No-va so yeah he does pronounce it like most of us are :)
    U-Nova as in Yuh-Nova? Because actually I've been saying it like that xDD whoopsie. So it just You-Nova or Yuh-Nova?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023

Lol your post sounds as if you're saying that Austrilian English and American English are two different languages when they are not...yet...( I know you aren't but the use of the words different languages pronounce it differently sure makes it seems like you are)

...oh, well you know what I mean. XD

U-Nova as in U = You and Nova as in the actual word Nova, which is... pretty much the same as You-No-Va to me. XD;

Years
  • Oh I thought you were pronouncing the U as Ooohh instead of You.

That's how I'd pronounce it. I've studied some French and Japanese and neither language would pronounce a word that starts with 'u' as though it had a 'y' in front of it. Plus:

Spoiler:

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • That's how I'd pronounce it. I've studied some French and Japanese and neither language would pronounce a word that starts with 'u' as though it had a 'y' in front of it. Plus:

Spoiler:
    I know what you mean that why I thought some people prounced it like Oohh-no-vah when they said they pronounced it U-no-vah...
    Well we american's are weird like that with are U's being You's...

Kamitsure-chan

Massive Cynthia fangirl. :3
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Apr 15, 2011
    I seem to switch between oo-no-va and you-no-va. My mind says it you-no-va, but more often than not it comes out oo-no-va. XD

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    I don't exactly pronounce it like either of those:

"You-no-va"

I guess I'll vote the first option though. Not exactly right though.

The Red Chain

There are so many ways to pronounce it, but this one is the only one that really makes any sense to me.

Erufuun

apple bunny lover <3
    Years
  • "You-no-va", definitely. I just said it like that when I first saw it. XD
    It seems the most American for some reason~
    Still like the name Isshu better, though. :c

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
  • Anyone who doesn't pronounce the 'nova' part as 'no'-'vah' is wrong, anyway - seriously, that's just failing at English right there.

TheUnown

Super Lurker
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2015
    In my head, I pronounce it as 'oo-no-vah' xDD. I never even considered saying it like 'you-no-vah' strangely enough =/

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
    Years
  • Oo-No-Vuh, Albeit, the correct pronunciation is probably Yoo-No-Vuh

The other way doesn't sound English, it sounds and follows similar pronunciation rules as Slavic languages (Russian, Bulgarian, etc.) The point of changing it from Isshu to Unova was to make it sound English. :3

Back