• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Unpopular opinions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatsTakao

Hiya!
Years
  • Ever since gen 3 the rival characters of Pokemon has become more and more intolerable for me. I'm genuinely sick of the whole friendship approach that Pokemon has the characters take and I want more rivals like Silver and Green who were assholes. Sun and Moon along with XY took it to a whole new level tho, imo. The first few parts of the games were flat out awful and made me not want to play. I don't want NPC friends; especially not if they're awful and poorly written characters.

The new EXP share is awful and take the challenge out of the game but I don't turn it off because I still need a reasonable way to train new Pokemon I add to my party. I wish they had just made it an EXP All and kept the old EXP share.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • - I prefer Bulbasaur to Charmander. It seems like Bulbasaur gets severely overlooked when compared to Charmander, a Pokémon that feels overrated to me to begin with. I say this because 90% of the time, people tend to prefer Charmander as a first choice followed by Squirtle. Bulbasaur is kind of like the runt of the litter of these three but I really don't see why?

- Gen IV is my favourite of all the gens, mainly for the Sinnoh games. I've seen a lot of split opinions on DPPT, most of which seem to slate the games for "ruining Pokémon" essentially when I feel that they were a positive turning point in the franchise. The changes were on a larger scale from what we'd seen before, but I feel like a lot of the changes that fourth gen introduced molded the games into what makes them even greater today.

SketchWorld

Beyond the darkest depths of death lies eternal li
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2018
    i like mega evolution, barely use it, but i don't see any problem with it
    don't know why but everyone seems to dislike it

lucario, sylveon and gardevoir are overrated (THERE, I SAID IT!)

generation 4 wasn't that bad

i hate eevee, it's not even that cute in first place

generation 5 has the best starters

a dolphin pokemon would probably have a terrible design

incineroar looks like it was changed from fire/fight to fire/dark just to please the fans

Last edited:
    Years
  • generation 5 has the best starters

I can definitely get this one, because people always seem to frown down upon the Unova starters for somehow having worse stats than other starters, and Serperior for being a Meganium that's fast. I know they're horrible competitively (except for Contrary Serperior) but their designs aren't that bad.

Years
  • incineroar looks like it was changed from fire/fight to fire/dark just to please the fans

As far as I know, the Fire/Dark typing was actually based on the fact it's a heel wrestler, and I do like it when Game Freak digs extra deep when it comes to Pokemon designs and their types. I can see why it's confused for Fire/Fighting, but I definitely praise Game Freak for what they did when they came up with it.

Eden

Right you are, Ken!
    Years
  • Generation 3 is my least favorite generation all things considered. I barely like anything about it (except for the region, lore, the new Pokémon, and the Battle Frontier.) In fact, I didn't even like Hoenn much until OrAs came around to change my mind.

Also, Gen IV is one of my favorite generations. In fact, second only to Generation II. I don't consider either one to be the best, however. That title for me goes to Gen V.

Years
    • Age 22
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    - I think Sun and Moon should have never been made. (there's too many Pokemon already..)
    - Mewtwo is horribly overrated and I don't get why it's more popular than Mew.
    - I think the ancestor of Pokemon is Mew, not Arceus
    - Leafeon is the best eevelution and Umbreon is overrated
    - Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games are better than most of the main series games.
    - Pokemon Ranger games are underrated
    - Decidueye has a stupid name
    - The sun and moon anime style is much worse than the original style
    - Ho-Oh is better than Lugia.
    - Professor Rowan is my favourite professor
    - Cynthia is the best Champion
    - Gen 3 has the best starters
    - I don't get why everyone loves Lucario, Charizard, Zoroark and Gardevoir
    - Raikou, Suicune and Entei are not dogs.

Years
  • I don't really have much strong feelings towards 3rd gen. I think it's mostly because I didn't play through these games when they first came out but I think the single player campaign was really lackluster. Team Magma and Team Aqua made no sense and the two rivals were poorly implemented.

I still like gen 1. I do agree that the meta game is a lot more clunker than the later games (it was expected since GF were very inexperienced back then), but I don't think it's as unplayable as people make it up to be. I like the map design and how every time you finished a cave, you feel farther away from home. However, by the end of the game everything feels connected. I also like how you have some freedom in how to complete the game. It makes the game feel more adventurous. Most people play the game in the expected order but you can finish the S.S Anne before battling Misty if you really want to. I think this sense of freedom in it's game desgin really works well in how free from building a team is.

That being said, I don't really have that much nostalgia over gen 1 Pokemon. There are some I really love, like the Bulbasaur line, Butterfree and Sandslash but I don't have that much nostalgic feeling for them tbh. It's probably because I played the gen 1 games a lot as a kid, so the novelty of nostalgia rubs off.

Although I have nothing against plot related games as a whole and some of the gens that were plot focus are great games overall, however, I do think Pokemon is a bit awkward when they put a greater emphasis on story. It feels like the gameplay and the plot are separate entities. The game play focus so much on raising monsters and customization but the plot usually revolves around caring about an important NPC or being some kind of counter argument aganist a evil team's philosophical beliefs. But in the end of the day, I care more about raising my Pokemon more than anything the plot cooks up. I don't think a bigger plot can't work in Pokemon but I can see why it comes off as awkward for me. Pokemon are blank slates and your team varies from playthrough, through playthrough, so it's hard to have a plot surrounding them.

I think Alola forms were miss opportunities mostly because they put a lot of focus on making most of them funny and they limited themselves by making them 1 gen only. I won't be surprise that Game Freak add them to make up with the limited number of Pokemon they made for 7th gen as well as trying to appeal to nostalgic fans.

I think Pokemon is running out of ideas, not necessary because the designs are bad but because they don't introduce as many Pokemon pre gen as they use to. I think they introduce too much Pokemon in 5th gen that Game Freak pretty much burned themselves out.

Last edited:

Kyzy

Big Cat
    Years
    • Seen Mar 2, 2017
    >Generation three is boring. As all hell. Everything from it is just... meh.
    >Sinnoh is awesome. The music, the legendaries, everything.
    >Salamence's design is boring but it isn't THAT bad.
    >Garchomp is actually ugly.
    >All the Pikachu clones are bad.
    >Typhlosion really isn't that cool to look at.
    >Pokemon contests and Poffin making were fun to me?! BRING EM BACK

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • -Sinnoh is the best region
    -Noivern > all other dragon types (in terms of design)
    -I believe there are too many megas
    -Using legendaries is not fun and only good for collecting
    -Pokeball > all other balls

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • Generation 3 is my least favorite generation all things considered. I barely like anything about it (except for the region, lore, the new Pokémon, and the Battle Frontier.) In fact, I didn't even like Hoenn much until OrAs came around to change my mind.

Also, Gen IV is one of my favorite generations. In fact, second only to Generation II. I don't consider either one to be the best, however. That title for me goes to Gen V.

>Generation three is boring. As all hell. Everything from it is just... meh.
    >Sinnoh is awesome. The music, the legendaries, everything.

Gonna say that I totally agree with these. I mean it's not that I think gen3 is the worst ever, but I don't think it's as amazing as what everyone says.

Years
  • I think Alola forms were miss opportunities mostly because they put a lot of focus on making most of them funny and they limited themselves by making them 1 gen only. I won't be surprise that Game Freak add them to make up with the limited number of Pokemon they made for 7th gen as well as trying to appeal to nostalgic fans.

This is one I'm on board with. Limiting the Alolan Forms to 1st Gen only was clearly Game Freak catering too much to nostalgia and fanservice, citing the 20th anniversary and Kanto's "well-recognizable" label as an excuse. There were so many ideas I loved to have see get used, but never happened.

I loved the idea of Alolan Forms, it's just that it was executed badly.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I don't like Cynthia. I'll give her credit for being arguably the strongest Champion as far as main series games go, but I don't really like her character all that much. I don't know. She just gives you so many tasks and I feel like I'm her little errand runner. It's been a long time since I played DPPT, so I could be remembering incorrectly.

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 19, 2019
    I like Garbodor. I think it's cute. idgaf
    Agreed, I find Trubbiish and Garbodor absolutely adorable.

Other opinions:

My biggest one currently: I don't want a DPPt remake. I just don't see any reason for it at this moment. Maybe with a new generations of handhelds, but now I don't see any added value of remaking these relatively modern games.

Gen III will always be the 'classic Pokémon' for me. I just think the game's style was best suited for the simple Gameboy Advance. Don't get me wrong, I love the other generations as well and the newer ones definitely brought major improvements, but I feel the game's concept was best executed on the GBA.

I can't speak for SM but out of the first 6 generations of games BW/2 had the best story. Definitely the most serious one and it showed what Pokémon could mean for the older audience. And on the topic of Gen V, I feel should've lasted longer than it did. I'm actually mildly upset about this because it was the only generation that followed a storyline over a longer period; just for that it deserved to get more attention. I feel that it didn't get enough love during its run and has kinda been forgotten since XY came out. Doesn't help that the Wi-Fi Connection was nuked and Nintendo didn't try restoring that. I feel that the generation was prematurely brought to an end. I think too many people were put off by the 'starting fresh'-theme and that's unfortunate.

Finally, I have no issues with the Pikachu clones. Emolga is very cool and I absolutely love Mimikyu.

Years
  • - Gen 5 is My Favorite Gen
    - Not Sure if Unpopular, but Bug is my favorite type
    - Fire Types are Overrated
    - Eevee is Overrated, Same for it's Eeveelutions

Years
  • - Gen 5 is My Favorite Gen
    - Not Sure if Unpopular, but Bug is my favorite type
    - Fire Types are Overrated
    - Eevee is Overrated, Same for it's Eeveelutions

I can definitely understand all except maybe the last one. I always found Fire-type Pokemon to be popular and somehow overrated, especially when I remember XY hype period made people want to use a Fletchling, Charmander and Fennekin all on their team.

Bug-type has become so good with each new generation but 5th Gen was when they really started getting good, so I can see why you love them.

Years
  • Maybe this is an unpopular opinion, maybe it's not. I figure I'd share it here, anyways:

I actually like the direction that Pokemon is going in. It's been six generations of roughly the same monotonous feeling of beating gyms and becoming the Champion that it's refreshing that seventh generation brought about sometihng new, even if only slightly. Culturally speaking, Trial Captains, even if they were a fresh coat of paint, are still fresh and speaking as far as character is concerned, have far better dialogue and depth than I'd argue most Gym Leaders of past generations do. Perhaps this is because of SM being heavily story-based, but I wouldn't be upset in the slightest if this is the direction that Game Freak decides to take the games from here on out.

If anything, I just want more character depth and development. That's all I can ever ask for in a Pokemon game, aside from a good post-game, of course!

I feel the Trial Captains will be an Alola-only thing because of the region's culture and Game Freak wanting the player to be immersed in nature, but I can understand your point so even if we return to standard Gyms next generation, Game Freak did at least try something different that also proved to be more challenging than the Gyms.

Snivy88

Hello Everyone ^^
    Years
  • Ok, I don't know how popular these are, but let's do this.

I love pokeon based off inanimate objects. I don't see what's wrong with the Klink line at all.
    I love Gen 5. And all the pokemon in it, including the starters. I actually like them better then hoenn starters.
    I hated ORAS, but that just be my dislike of the hoenn region, I'm not quite sure why, but I just don't like it.
    I never saw a problem with gen 6's storyline. Though Lysandre was really obvious, I liked his twisted dream of creating a beautiful world.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back