• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Unpopular opinions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
    So there used to be a thread like this here:
    https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=339527
    Apparently it seems like it was revived but during the time I was off the forum. But it's still more than 1 month old so better idea to make a new thread. So basically, what are some unpopular opinions you guys have?

I'd like to point out that we should not go out of our way and bash others just because we disagree with their opinions. Also, do not give out an opinion that could possibly offend many people, like "everybody who hates this game is an idiot" or stuff like that. The best idea is to just try to make sure your opinions or replies don't offend others. I'll try do the same for my own. Here they are:

1. Gen3 is meh. I don't know, I just find it meh. I do like it for introducing tons of useful features like abilities and natures, the fact that everytime I go to the internet I keep seeing way too much hype for this gen, and I've seen so much until I got sick of it, so now I find the gen to be just meh.

2. I don't understand what's so amazing about Lucario/it's line. I used to like it, but my taste for it has been going downhill lately. As much as I liked to write for my Riolu in JBGD, he really wasn't special in game. I was thinking he'd redeem the line for me, but no, I think he probably just made me less fond of them. He was fast and that was it; he couldn't really hit hard for the KO, he didn't have much of a moveset, and his defenses...*shakes head*. I'd say it makes Alakazam seem like a tank compared to it, but no, that's an understatement. Think of the frailest object you can think of and imagine it was ten thousand times more fragile than that. That's how worthless my Riolu's defenses were. Did I meantion he also refused to evolve? Well, I can't say the Lucario line is totally worthless, it's just that I can't see how it can be like "THE BEST THING EVER" or whatever hype it gets.

3. I think XY is way overhated. It's a first version game, of course it will have some issues! The only thing I didn't like about it was the plot and that's all. Everything else about it was great. It had solid variety, interesting gameplay, and everything aide from plot and maybe characters was workable for me. Definitely my 2nd fav game in this series.

4. I like the Cyndaquil line but I think it's way too massively popular on this site. While Typhlosion is still relatively decent to use, I've always found it outclassed by almost every other Fire mon due to not having any decent coverage options aside from Shadow claw(It does learn a lot of decent STAB moves but for other types not so much). I mean we have Swift and....Rollout. That's why I've always prefered picking Totodile over it. It gets so much better coverage options like Crunch and Ice fang. Let's see how long Typhlosion lasts against a Dragon...

5. Gen6 by far had the worst mons. There are plenty whom I like of course, but many, many others that I don't.

6. The moving Gen5 sprites were cool I guess

7. I don't find Leafeon cute. Most of the other Eeveelutions are cute (tho Jolteon and Umbreon are more on the 'cool' side), but I just don't find Leafeon cute. It looks like a cross between a scarecrow and an ailien, that ran into a laef pile. I dunno, for some reason I don't like it's design, and I don't think it's as adorable as the other members of it's line.

8. Gen4 isn't that bad.

9. I don't think Milotic needs a mega tbh.

10. And now for what I think is the least popular out of ALL these opinions: I think the female playable characters are getting worse. For some reason everyone says they are getting better but I don't see that. Or at least, they were getting better until BW1 which had the last female protag I liked. Bw2 onwards I felt it went downhill. I strongly dislike the female protag of that game's design, I think it's those hair balls that tick me off. But I decided to just pretend she didn't exist...and then SM happened. Just no. Gen7 has hands down the ugliest female protagonist ever. It could have saved the decreasing quality, but nooo, it didn't. That's so sad.

I tried hard to not make these opinions seem offensive. I'm really sorry if anybody got offended by these posts, I don't mean to offend anybody on this site.

AliceBlaze

Shiny Collector
    Years
    - Red/Blue/Yellow are my least favourite main series games. I enjoy FireRed/LeafGreen a lot more and I even have more nostalgic value for them than the originals.

- I enjoy Voltorb Flip more than the traditional game corner. In fact, I don't miss the game corner in the new games.

- I don't mind Pokemon based on inanimate objects. In fact, Klefki is one of my favourite Gen 6 Pokemon.

- Delphox > Greninja.

- Johto is one of my favourite anime arcs and I don't mind filler episodes.

- I want a new Pokemon Ranger game.

- I'm not sure if this is unpopular or not, but Gen 6 is my second favourite generation after Gen 2.

- Some people may not notice this, but I don't like what some of the music in HeartGold/SoulSilver sounds like with the GB Sounds. I think some music such as the National Park theme sounds better on the original GBC games.

_ I'm looking forward to the Sun/Moon anime more than I did for the XY series when that was first coming out.

- I like some of the background music used in the 4Kids dub of the anime and movies.

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    Many people hate Miltank just because of Whitney's Miltank. But putting Whitney aside, I think Miltank is actually a really cute Pokemon. The problem lies with Whitney, not with Miltank.

I don't like Midday Lycanroc that much. It looks a bit plain compared to the more badass Midnight Lycanroc. But the main problem is that the Midday form seems to be getting special treatment over the Midnight form. The Midday form gets a Rock-type priority move and Sand Rush. What does the Midnight form get? Counter and Vital Spirit.

I may have said this one multiple times before, but I absolutely love Incineroar. I was excited for it since it was leaked, yet people complain about it for not staying quadrupedal and for looking too much like Emboar. How does it look like Emboar? Emboar is an obese pig that looks like it can barely move. Incineroar is a big, muscular, badass tiger. About the quadrupedal thing, I don't see why Litten had to stay quadrupedal, and I think people make too much of a fuss about it. The fact that it seems to be getting more appreciation here over the days makes me feel better, but still.

Guest123_x1

I have some opinions regarding the Pokémon franchise that would be considered as 'unpopular'. They are:
    • Generation I is my favorite generation. Even though I know these games are a huge technical mess (MissingNo messing up your Hall of Fame, need I say more?), I have always enjoyed playing the original Pokémon games, and was very happy when they were re-released to the 3DS Virtual Console for #Pokémon20.
    • The anime started going downhill with the increasing fillers in the Johto run, and that decline accelerated once Misty left. Let's not start any arguments about Misty, ok?
    • Oshawott and Popplio are adorable Water starters. I know, everybody's shunning Popplio, and it's continuing after its evolutions have been revealed, but I'm planning on starting Sun/Moon with that cute seal.
    • Charizard is overrated. I never understood why everybody that had started with Charmander back in Generation I bragged about it, since it was at such a disadvantage against Brock and Misty. And TWO different Mega Evolutions? Are you )@(#*in' kidding me?
    • Mega Evolution is an overrated gimmick that was never really needed in the first place. Need I say more?

Years
    I don't really like Generation III. It was a let down for me personally. I don't know why so many people liked it. I take it a lot of people had those games as their first games though. Not my favorite and a bit underwhelming.

Rick Gastly

Memes Straight Outta 2007
    Years
    The famous theme song isn't good, sounds like second-rate Bon Jovi, and I don't even like Bon Jovi that much. Plus i'm only 15 so I don't have any nostalgic connection.

Sun and Moon looks HORRIBLE. Not bad, HORRIBLE. Ash spends years and years going on exciting adventures, saving the world, making friends... and now his biggest threat is homework.

Unpopular opinions!

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    I'm with you guys on Generation 6, although it definitely had its flaws, as a Pokemon game I really enjoyed it and it's actually one of my favourite Pokemon games of all time.

Sun and Moon looks HORRIBLE. Not bad, HORRIBLE. Ash spends years and years going on exciting adventures, saving the world, making friends... and now his biggest threat is homework.

I guess you're referring to the anime? In which case I definitely agree. Like...why?

AliceBlaze

Shiny Collector
    Years
    I don't get why so many people want a Pokémon Snap sequel. That game isn't even that great in my opinion as it gets boring after a while. I think it's better off as a side feature in the main series games like the Poké Finder in Sun/Moon.

Rick Gastly

Memes Straight Outta 2007
    Years
    New Pokemon Designs>Old

Old Pokemon designs were lazy, lazy, lazy. Most were just animals with small tweaks. Examples:

- Vulpix and Ninetales are just foxes with more tails
    - Meowth and Persian are just cats
    - Seel's just a seal
    - Squirtle's just a blue turtle
    - Pidgey, Spearow, and the three legendaries are just birds
    - Rattata's just a purple rat
    - Magikarp's just a fish

I could go on and on forever.

While some designs are still like this today (Litten, Fennekin) most now show much more creativity and uniqueness. They actually look like creatures from another world, and not just animals but slightly different.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
    - Vulpix and Ninetales are just foxes with more tails

- Squirtle's just a blue turtle

Squirtle is part turtle, part squirrel. Vulpix and Ninetails are Kitsune. So it's even less creative than foxes with more tails haha.

Pearl and Diamond are the worst game in the serie (but still good!)
    Gen 2 and 5 are awesome.

Florges

The Garden Pokémon
    Years
    - Out of all of the Pokemon I wanted to get a mega evolution... I really wanted one for Corsola.
    - That being said, I think Mega Evolution is horrible.
    - I don't like any of the Gen II games, including HeartGold and SoulSilver. The only things I like are the Pokemon, Morty, and Eusine. Everything else was extremely boring.
    - XY was fine, even though it was lacking in the story.
    - Misty is overrated.
    - Delphox is the best starter and is one of the few Pokemon that makes sense becoming bipedal.
    - Greninja, Garchomp, and Lucario are insanely overrated.

Years
    • Seen Jun 14, 2017
    Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Blue Rescue Team is the best Pokemon title to date. Later instalments in the spinoff series have been let down by weaker plots and lack of interactivity with Pokemon - Friend Areas really did make all the difference; they made it feel like you were actually recruiting Pokemon to your cause, not just catching them and boxing them away - and the world feels much more vibrant and alive without that human aspect to it. Visually its gorgeous and captures the fun-loving essence of the franchise perfectly, and whilst you will be seeing an awful lot of the same rooms, the randomly generated nature of the dungeons prevents them from being predictable.

The gameplay flows better, is more intuitive, and is far more challenging. There is no challenge to mothership Pokemon titles unless you make it yourself through Nuzlockes or similar. In Mystery Dungeon you have punishing 99 floor dungeons with your items removed and your level reset to 1. Even during normal gameplay flow you have traps and monster houses to keep you on your toes, as well as asset management through inventory etc.

Legendary Pokemon give you a tough time and recruiting them requires a serious amount of effort. It makes you earn your rewards. Missions are repetitive after a while, but have about as much variety as the main series of games do in their gameplay, so it isn't a drawback. The postgame is also far more rewarding.

The plot is also far more personal and emotional, as it directly involves you, the player, in your own cause and struggle, rather than throwing you headlong into the same "evil organisation wants to take over the world" plot every mothership title to date has used. It makes you care about the cast. About what happens to you.

That's probably the most unpopular opinion I have. I don't think the mothership titles are bad. Just that the Mystery Dungeon spinoffs are superior, and the first game (on the DS; dual screens made it far easier to do things) was the best because of its mechanics. If they'd have kept Friend Areas in the sequels, or brought them back in Super Mystery Dungeon, I'd change my tune.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
    Don't really feel like Mega Charizard X should exist. Yeah, cool typing and all, but Y seems more like the natural progression for it. I wouldn't be surprised if Y was originally designed with the other two then X was made for nostalgia and marketing.

Years
    While it's the most iconic region in Pokemon, I find Kanto extremely boring compared to the other regions. I also find the original 151's designs not as simple-looking as most other Pokemon.

Gigadweeb

[b][i]The Black Swordsman[/i][/b]
    Years
    Rescue Teams are the best Mystery Dungeon games, and honestly probably the best spinoffs

I like the open-ended feeling you get where exploration rewards you instead of progressing through the main story eg. GtI, SMD

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
    Gen 4 is ridiculously overrated. The Pokedex was poor. The pace was really slow and the Elite Four were terrible. For some reason the games are cited as the most difficult but for me they were the easiest.

I don't get the love for Flygon at all. Same with Typhlosion.

I don't get the hate for the design of Garbador and Vanilluxe in a Generation where Zoroark exists. Zoroark looks plain stupid and worse is treated like a big deal in Gen 5. Gen 5 is my favourite Gen but Zoroark is one of the worst designed Pokemon in the series.

UltimateFrosty08

THE DAB MAN
    Years
    I have some opinions regarding the Pokémon franchise that would be considered as 'unpopular'. They are:
    • Generation I is my favorite generation. Even though I know these games are a huge technical mess (MissingNo messing up your Hall of Fame, need I say more?), I have always enjoyed playing the original Pokémon games, and was very happy when they were re-released to the 3DS Virtual Console for #Pokémon20.
    • The anime started going downhill with the increasing fillers in the Johto run, and that decline accelerated once Misty left. Let's not start any arguments about Misty, ok?
    • Oshawott and Popplio are adorable Water starters. I know, everybody's shunning Popplio, and it's continuing after its evolutions have been revealed, but I'm planning on starting Sun/Moon with that cute seal.
    • Charizard is overrated. I never understood why everybody that had started with Charmander back in Generation I bragged about it, since it was at such a disadvantage against Brock and Misty. And TWO different Mega Evolutions? Are you )@(#*in' kidding me?
    • Mega Evolution is an overrated gimmick that was never really needed in the first place. Need I say more?

I beat both Brock and Misty with Charmeleon I don't know how but I only used one Pokémon and that was the one.

Lemonski

Is already coming for your pizza
    Years
    Even though it seems like many people didn't like it, X is actually my favorite of the games I've played. It's kind of difficult for me to say though as I've only played two games. But still, X was great.

When XY came out I also didn't think that Fennekin was that cute, as the two others were so much cuter. However, I like Fennekin's evolved forms but the unevolved form was something I don't exactly like.

It also came as a huge surprise to me when I heard that many people don't like Oshawott. Maybe it was such a shock because I've always thought it's the cutest of the Unova starters.

Same goes for Popplio. Even though Litten is my favorite Alola starter, I don't understand the hate Popplio gets. It's so cute I could just go and squeeze it!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back