• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Question: Username changes?

Would you be interested in paying for a username change?

• Yes

Votes: 59 59.6%
  • No

Votes: 40 40.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lily

◕ ‿‿ ◕ double rainbow.
Years
  • Thread is asking whether or not you'd pay, not if you think it's a bad idea or not. =O

I would pay, should I ever grow tired of the name I have now. Not likely, but I would.

moments.

quixotic
    Years
  • What about people who already have supporter credit but want a name change? I definitely would not spend $15 dollars for a name change given that I already have supportership. If it was cheaper, but still went towards supporter credit, that could work? / Maybe a discount price for those who are already supporters?

Years
  • Food for thought - I've considered something along the lines of this: if you pay for your name, you also get that amount in supporter credit.

How does that sound? So if we price changes at $15, and offered $15 of supporter credit, would you take it up?

That sounds like a really good idea. I have to ask, but would the vouchers being given away in the egg hunt be valid for this?

Also, I'm not sure if I'm technically allowed to post a suggestion of my own, but I think the Tier 6 Supporters ought to be given some sort of privilege pertaining to name changes. It just seems like the price they payed, even if it's to support PC, far outweighs the perks that they've been given.

Gulpin

poisonous
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    Food for thought - I've considered something along the lines of this: if you pay for your name, you also get that amount in supporter credit.

How does that sound? So if we price changes at $15, and offered $15 of supporter credit, would you take it up?

Just asking, but since I have already paid the $15 would I get one free name change (with this idea)? Also, would it be $15 every change plus higher supporter status or could we just pay, say, $1 and add that dollar to the total money we have donated and get a name change?

Years
  • Food for thought - I've considered something along the lines of this: if you pay for your name, you also get that amount in supporter credit.

Sounds blooming fair if I am honest. I would be more inclined to do that if I didn't like my name.​

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • It depends on the cost honestly. It has to be just high enough to deter people from abusing the privilege and just low enough to be affordable for people that really wanted a username change.

As far as generalities go, I'll support it, even if I've no desire to change my username in the future.

Although I wouldn't mind getting two of my accounts merged. XD

Gulpin

poisonous
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    Ok. Well, I thought of an idea that would build on the Supporter status thing along with name changing. So here it is:

Regular Members --> Pay, say, $2.00 for a name change. Name gets listed on donations list. Once they get enough name changes (or donations without a name change plus money with name change) to reach five dollars they will become Tier 1 Supporters.

Tier 1 Supporters --> Pay $1.50 for a name change. They will get a colored username, and access to the Style Testing forum. Once their total donations and donations for name changes reaches ten dollars, they will become Tier 2 Supporters.

Tier 2 Supporters --> Pay $1.00 for a name change. They will get all of the Tier 2 Supporter benefits. Once their donations come to fifteen dollars they will become Tier 3.

And so on. So as the tier rank raises they will get a name change for cheaper (the prices I put are just as an example). Maybe once you reach Tier 5 or 6 they can be free maybe.

Rionix

My girlfriend is a crazy fox
    Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2011
    Either way, I don't really mind. Well, if its implemented, it'll gonna be a good source for site payment but thing is, if its priced quite high, people will hesitate and or not change name at all but instead make a new account...

LightOfTruth

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2020
    As for user-names if you picked the name you wanted at the start you wouldn't need a name-change, Charging them for there own mistakes is a good idea :)

I'm happy with my user name :)

Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Aug 29, 2011
    Nope.
    Still going to crash the server, PC has more than enough money to buy a decent server.

Years
  • I support this if reasonably priced. Especially since then I can return to being called Skii finally. :D

My idea -

$2 (Around £1.20) for a name change for every regular user.

Then half price ($1) for supporters already at tier 3 or higher.

People already at Tier 5 get a one-off free change then pay a quarter of the price ($0.50) for any future changes.

Anyone who becomes a supporter of tier 1 or higher after name changes begin gets one free name change along with their supporter benefits.

Something like that.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • Nope.
    Still going to crash the server, PC has more than enough money to buy a decent server.
    We would turn off the forums during a time when activity is very low. Therefore, the server doesn't overflow with anyone else browsing and loading the forum.

Also, if we had enough money to buy a new server, we would have already. ):

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
    Years
  • Nope.
    You have no idea how much it keeps a large site with constant activity up and running, do you?

I think that most people who are willing to pay for name changes won't. Just because I am willing to bet that most the forum has no way to actually pay themselves.

Most people here are just saying they support the idea. Not whether or not they'd actually do it.

The server load, which can be easily shrunk by either shutting the forum down when they do them all, or doing them in small loads at a time, wouldn't be as much as you think for the reason I already stated.

Last edited:

Thomas

HAIL HYDRA!
    Years
  • Please please please for the love of zombie Jesus. Don't bring back name changes. If the community needs money, we can find another service that could bring in the same amount of funds. I for one would pay not to have this feature back in the community. I am guilty of multiple name changes, but I am glad that we got rid of them. I have been a member for a while, and over the years I've taken a number of breaks from PC long and short. On some of the longer breaks, people would have changed their name 2 or three times and I would return having to relearn who people were, and in some cases not realizing who they were until much later after my return or not at all.

I just think its a bad idea over all.
    *goes to donate moneys to PC*

Gulpin

poisonous
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    Please please please for the love of zombie Jesus. Don't bring back name changes. If the community needs money, we can find another service that could bring in the same amount of funds. I for one would pay not to have this feature back in the community. I am guilty of multiple name changes, but I am glad that we got rid of them. I have been a member for a while, and over the years I've taken a number of breaks from PC long and short. On some of the longer breaks, people would have changed their name 2 or three times and I would return having to relearn who people were, and in some cases not realizing who they were until much later after my return or not at all.

The easiest way to fix this would be to add anyone to your friend list that you would like to know even after you went on hiatus and they get a name change. Or to post after your hiatus in the NU/W section so that they will see you and recognize your username and tell you who they used to be.

Thomas

HAIL HYDRA!
    Years
  • The easiest way to fix this would be to add anyone to your friend list that you would like to know even after you went on hiatus and they get a name change. Or to post after your hiatus in the NU/W section so that they will see you and recognize your username and tell you who they used to be.
    The only way I would support it...is if it was paid and had a long interval time. The price would have to be relatively high for PC user standards (between $10 and $20) and then the time in between username changes would have to be between 1 and 2 years...none of this three month crap like before.

Years
  • Please please please for the love of zombie Jesus. Don't bring back name changes. If the community needs money, we can find another service that could bring in the same amount of funds. I for one would pay not to have this feature back in the community. I am guilty of multiple name changes, but I am glad that we got rid of them. I have been a member for a while, and over the years I've taken a number of breaks from PC long and short. On some of the longer breaks, people would have changed their name 2 or three times and I would return having to relearn who people were, and in some cases not realizing who they were until much later after my return or not at all.

*Uhm*

If you hover your mouse over a person's username in a post, it will physically tell you what their old usernames were, js.

Thomas

HAIL HYDRA!
    Years

• *Uhm*

If you hover your mouse over a person's username in a post, it will physically tell you what their old usernames were, js.
    Woooooow. How did I not know this. But still it doesn't tell you the super old usernames...back before we had a field in our profiles. Anyway, I just think if it comes back, it needs to have a high monetary value, and that the intervals need to be VERY spaced out.

Eeveemaster9

Years of Lies
    Years
  • Please, for the love of kittens...Do NOT bring this back. I think we can all live without changing our names. I, for one, CANNOT live if this site is constantly down or lagging.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back