• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Question: Username changes?

Would you be interested in paying for a username change?

• Yes

Votes: 59 59.6%
  • No

Votes: 40 40.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
  • Although I am content with my current username, from time on other communities, I would certainly be willing to pay a small cost for a username change. Especially if it goes towards a better server which could handle them more easily.

Just one question though for if this actually does get through. Is there going to be some sort of account age limit for this? I mean sure it might sound discriminatory to those newer people, but for those who say, created an account a couple of days ago and want a name change, something like that wouldn't be allowed?

If all proceeds go towards the PokéCommunity funding then I don't see why there would be an age limit in all honesty. I'm sure many usernames are chosen as a spur-of-the-moment thing anyway so I think it's completely understandable that a very new user would want a name change, although I expect that such a user would make an alt account instead of paying for a new name.

NurseBarbra

くら くら?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Feb 4, 2017
    You would have to take into account that $1.00 doesn't equal €1.00 ....
    I say that $1 is a nice amount.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    I'll be willing to pay up to 1 tier cost, nothing more than that. Or less that that would be wonderful, but it doesn't really matter with me. I'm all for helping PC seeing as I'm a regular here.

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
  • It depends how much honestly. But yes, I would do that. It would help PC (in some way at least), plus we would get to change our usernames.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2014
    I think this is a great idea. I would be willing to pay for a name change. Especially because my current user name is too long for people to remember. :3 I hope this does come out.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
  • I wouldn't mind paying at all to be honest. I mean, look at my username. :x I would do anything to get it changed. Anything.

Although I wouldn't go an splash out £15 or something to change it. n_n contradiction ftw.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Just one question though for if this actually does get through. Is there going to be some sort of account age limit for this? I mean sure it might sound discriminatory to those newer people, but for those who say, created an account a couple of days ago and want a name change, something like that wouldn't be allowed?
    I don't see why someone would purchase a username change if they just created the account a few days ago. But restricting it to users who have been a member for X? I don't see the purpose in doing that since the cost would go to the server. If you have the money and are willing to put it forward for a username change that helps a little with server costs, I don't see why you should be restricted. Likewise, that doesn't seem like a very wise business decision. Ultimately, however, it's up for the admins to decide.

Also, for those of you voting yes because you think it will be good in general, the purpose of the poll is to get a clear idea of who will actually be willing to put forth a payment for a change in username. While I'm sure we appreciate your positive responses, we want to make sure that there are people interested in actually doing this. Otherwise the question would simply ask if you think this is a good idea.

But if you can see yourself, in the future, wanting to change your username, put that into consideration when you vote in the poll.

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
    Years
  • Yes, I think limited name changes should be a supporter perk. Maybe supporter 3+?

And instead of having like..a month in between, make it so you can only have a certain number of name changes every so often, once you use that certain number you can't get anymore. That's how other forums do it and it seems to work well for them.

I would pay for a name change as soon as possible. This name is so bland. :(

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
  • Well through a little bit of thought, I would actually pay for a name change, as long as it doesn't exceed say, $5.00 US. Any more than that and it would be really expensive just for one name change. Also if I'm thinking correctly, people who have placeholder accounts for names might have to pay more money to get the name of a placeholder, as they would have to change the name of two accounts.

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
    Years
  • Well through a little bit of thought, I would actually pay for a name change, as long as it doesn't exceed say, $5.00 US. Any more than that and it would be really expensive just for one name change. Also if I'm thinking correctly, people who have placeholder accounts for names might have to pay more money to get the name of a placeholder, as they would have to change the name of two accounts.
    But the placeholder account generally isn't active, and therefore will not put any real stress on the server when it's changed which is the reason why name changes were stopped.

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
  • Personally, no. I wouldn't pay for a change because after a couple of years, I've finally settled on an awesome username that really fits me, and I couldn't ever dream of changing it. maybe on serebii I would cos I'm sick of being Dragon user X and they don't allow alts So myself, I would likely make no use of it if it were implemented.

However, it would always be nice to know that the option is there if I ever did decide to change it. I always like to have options, and this would be no exception, even if it were an option I was unlikely to take.

As well as this, I think it's a good idea for those people who do want name changes, because I feel there are a good few (especially if the number of people asking for them is anything to go by). For them, I think, this system should be put in place. It's reasonable enough to charge a small fee considering the effort and downtime it takes to do name changes, and it would act as a deterrent to those who aren't so serious about it.

So because the question said 'Would you be interested in paying for a name change?' I voted no, but in general I'm all for the idea. *needs to think before voting in future*

EDIT:
    King Cherrim said:
    Also, for those of you voting yes because you think it will be good in general, the purpose of the poll is to get a clear idea of who will actually be willing to put forth a payment for a change in username. While I'm sure we appreciate your positive responses, we want to make sure that there are people interested in actually doing this. Otherwise the question would simply ask if you think this is a good idea.
    Never mind, I got it right. :x

Years
  • I wouldn't mind paying, so I support the idea. Many members want username changes, so this solution seems to be the best, because it won't put a strain on the server.

How much would a change be do you think?

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I wouldn't mind paying, so I support the idea. Many members want username changes, so this solution seems to be the best, because it won't put a strain on the server.

How much would a change be do you think?
    Nothing is set in stone (especially since there's still a chance that this won't happen at all) until the admins take it up a forum and discuss it there, but I personally would prefer it to be at most $5.00. As far as I'm aware, it hasn't been discussed in their "chambers" yet.

Xyrin

WOW REMEMBER THIS??
    Years
  • I wouldn't pay for it but I'm sure many would. A good idea might be a Tier 5 gets one free name change also. But it's just an idea. I say go with it if we can get a better server.

Zet

Years
  • Paying for name changes is something I would like to see but I would say pricing should be no less than $1 and no more than $10.... though paying $10 for a fancy pancy usertitle wouldn't be too bad of an idea.

zZJoennZz

What da!?
    Years
  • Bad idea I think,if this gonna happen it's still damaging the database and hurting PC :D but this is a good idea too for helping PC a better place and get rid of the usernames that doesn't like by users :D

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Paying for username changes? Hmm... To me, it sure sounds like a really bad idea... Having to pay... well, paying supports the servers, but... Even then, there WILL be some downtime caused by the mass username changes...

I just hope that one shouldn't need to pay too much. If username changes are too expensive, it might just as well as not exist. $5 is quite stretching it, huh?

If we are going to allow username changes, how about... making it so that if there are people that don't/can't pay, make it so that their requests take more time...?

I won't pay for username changes.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back