• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Using a mouse with your left hand

Years
    I'm a natural leftie, but I use a computer mouse with my right hand. However, I've now got a broken right arm so I'm adjusting to using a mouse with my left hand.

So do any of y'all here use a mouse with your left hand, or have tried it in the past? How did it feel compared to using a mouse with your right hand?

Lucario

Hardly active since 2017!
    Years
    I'm left-handed but use my mouse with the right hand, just habit I guess.
    I prefer to use a trackball to a mouse actually, and with a trackball I'm ambidextrous.

Years
    I swap sometimes if my right hand gets too cold or something. My left hand is pretty slow though compared to my right. My right is better for fine, precise movements, while left is better for stable, large-scale stuff (like riding a bike one-handed).

Years
    I just tried to mouse with my left hand and it's not impossible or anything, but I'm not that good with it and I wouldn't want to do this normally. I think I'd rely on keyboard shortcuts a lot more if I couldn't use my right hand.

Years
    I swap sometimes if my right hand gets too cold or something. My left hand is pretty slow though compared to my right. My right is better for fine, precise movements, while left is better for stable, large-scale stuff (like riding a bike one-handed).
    Oh, interesting! Do you go into the Control Panel as well and change the handedness setting every time you witch back and forth as well?

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    I avidly await the day when gaming mouses that are moulded specifically for left-handers become more widely available...
    if i recall correctly, both steelseries and razer provide a couple of left-handed and ambidextrous mice. i'm not sure of their availability in stores though. the fact that there's a scarcity in left-handed mice is very disappointing though, but i guess it's kind of understandable from a business logic standpoint...

LegendChu

❤ CAREFREE, BUT CARING ❤
    Years
    I'm left-handed, so trying to use a mouse with my right hand is nigh impossible. Not only do I become much slower at moving the mouse, but I can never get the mouse to go specifically where I want it to.

I avidly await the day when gaming mouses that are moulded specifically for left-handers become more widely available...
    if i recall correctly, both steelseries and razer provide a couple of left-handed and ambidextrous mice. i'm not sure of their availability in stores though. the fact that there's a scarcity in left-handed mice is very disappointing though, but i guess it's kind of understandable from a business logic standpoint...
    I'm naturally left-handed & don't have any problems using the mouse with my left hand. The main thing is that its ur right index finger that u mostly use for a left click, so u just gotta train ur left middle finger to do that job.

I think there's one by Logitech as well, can't recall the model right now, but afaik left-handed gaming mice are available online, but I suppose they are quite expensive as compared to a normal mouse.

Pika Pika :chu:

Years
    Well welcome to all of us lefties here, when I try to use the right hand for it, I can't, it feels too awkward.

I'm left-handed, so trying to use a mouse with my right hand is nigh impossible. Not only do I become much slower at moving the mouse, but I can never get the mouse to go specifically where I want it to.

Just curious, but are y'all from families where lefties are a majority? In my case, I'm the only left-handed person in my whole close family, and even then I was trained to use a computer mouse in my right hand.

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
    Years
    I can't go left myself. I'm part of the average majority.

I am sorry to all you lefties for laptops though. I can only imagine how horrible that is...

shadowmoon522

Master of Darkness & Light
    Years
    • Age 33
    • PA
    • Seen May 27, 2024
    i swap back and forth at times while in the midst of multi-tasking. there has been times when i've used a mouse in the left hand, a nds lite in my right, my right foot being used on a gamecube controller and 1 stylus in my mouth being used on both the nds lite and my 3ds.

yrmrku

Yer-Mur-Ku
    Years
    • US
    • Seen Feb 8, 2017
    I grew up using a mouse with my right hand so it just feels natural. Also most games/programs are set up with your left hand to hit hotkeys so you'd have to reprogram all that or sit to the right of your keyboard (which is difficult for laptop users such as myself).

Just curious, but are y'all from families where lefties are a majority? In my case, I'm the only left-handed person in my whole close family, and even then I was trained to use a computer mouse in my right hand.

I think a lot of people in my family are left handed. For me it's easy to trace where I got the genes because my dad is left handed and my mom's mother is also left handed, though my mom is right handed so she's only carrying the left handed genes instead of displaying them.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
    Usually I tend to go with right hand if it comes to using my mouse. At times I would try to use my mouse with left hand with curiosity, but then, using it with right hand feels more natural for me.

Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    Go to settings/control panel and change the mouse button settings to use as a left-hander.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Apparently I can use a touchpad quite fine (on a mac) with my left hand, but I have a feeling that if I would switch to a mouse, it would be really tricky to keep track of buttons and stuff haha.

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
    Aw, it's not so bad. Sometimes I use my laptop's touch pad and buttons for navigation - with my left hand. Using my left hand with my mouse isn't so bad on the days where my right hand gets too cold either. Though, it does get a little weird sometimes indeed. </3

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I always use my mouse when my right hand, but for the sake of this thread I just clicked around PC using my left hand instead, and it's... nearly the same. Except that once I had to click on smaller links, or the little thread reply arrows, that was a little tedious and took me a couple of clicks. ;;;

I do remember farming in an MMO once, where my right hand got tired of clicking, so I used my left hand. That's usually about the time where I realize that I've played the game too much and need to go do something else w/ my day, though.

Back