• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other FULL] Vale Institute of Magic (M) (OOC/SU)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Songbird

Tonight, the marigolds bloom for her.
Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2024
    This is the vague thing again. It would help a lot if you would tell us what it is you do or don't agree with. xD

Songbird

Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2024
    It's no problem to leave the posts up. It's not like they're off-topic. :3

Colony

Poe and Palahniuk's Prodige
    Years
  • @Impossiperiod: It's better, but the history still needs work. Don't worry about compacting the SU. A long, detailed SU is better than a short one that is missing information key to understanding the character. Cadenza is also a bit too broad (what defines mental power?). The line involving "calculated' chaotic" environments still exists, which is still a massive contradiction (are you a starburst candy?).

Impossiperiod

The Impossible Period
    Years
  • @Colony -- I can work on the history some more, I still think it needs work too but time constraints and studying and all. Also, the whole misconception with calculated chaos: it is simply a paradox, a completely illogical and purposefully contradictory play of words for the sake of entertainment. It simply means chaos. She can't handle chaos and when she's in it she is anxious and finds it harder to concentrate on weaving spells as opposed to a calm dueling setting. Also, I find "mental power" to be pretty self explanatory. Well, she isn't a genius but if she is mentally exhausted from a fight she won't be able to decimate an entire room with her finale move, she'll only be able to produce enough to protect herself for a moment or blast away an enemy just to save herself or an ally. I don't think it's hard to understand, though. Mental power would be described in a post if she ever uses the ability and will be built up to show if she is tired or not before the use of Cadenza. Her mental power (concentration and focus on the spell) will be explained both before and during the use of the ability before she ultimately blacks out from it if she is weakened enough mentally before hand.

Songbird

Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2024
    "Calculated chaos" isn't paradoxical. A paradox sounds impossible, but can still be possible. The way you explain it, it's an oxymoron that's there without a good reason.

Also, "mental power" can't exactly be self-explanatory (magic in general fails to explain itself), but from your description you should just be calling it energy. Calling it "mental power" sounds conceited (which is a problem we faced with Mimi and how he worded everything in his sheet) and completely removes any potential for physical consequences (which Colony and I forgot to touch on in our original response). Many of the accepted characters are capable of killing themselves outright for slipping up, and the absolute worst that happens to Yukio from using magic is that she just passes out.

We didn't completely bring this to light either (but it seems appropriate to at least do so now since you have to expand on her anyways), given how you describe her in both the personality and history, Yukio would be utterly useless in an actual fight due to anxiety (because if a mage battle isn't hectic and chaotic in some form, then it's not much of a battle), and there's no development described whatsoever that tries to improve on this.

Lastly, yes, being concise is generally a good thing—I can understand where you're coming from with it in being straight-to-the-point—but don't sacrifice very necessary information and development just to save space.

Impossiperiod

The Impossible Period
    Years
  • @Songbird and Colony -- I will completely revise, revisit, and review all of Yukio's SU and change accordingly. If I haven't been eliminated as a potential candidate for the last air spot I can be expected to repost (after deleting the other SU) come tomorrow evening.

Thanks for the time,
    -- Impossiperiod

Songbird

Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2024
    Don't worry; as long as you're willing to keep pushing for it, you won't be eliminated. :3

Impossiperiod

The Impossible Period
    Years
  • Normally I wouldn't try this hard for forum based RP but you can't get good at making a character without some trial and error. Also, I hope that last comment didn't come off as snarky, I didn't mean it that way. Just overly motivated to make this character and participate in this thread as it has many good RPers in it, better than some from other sites that I have visited.

Colony

Years
  • Don't worry, nothing came off snarky. We're glad that you're so interested. Just take your time and I'm sure it'll be good.

Edit: edited in a Zane post into my previous post. His dark side is rearing its ugly head right now.

Last edited:

Master_Bait

にょろーん~
    Years
  • @Colony: i am. i was just checking, is all. hehe

Spoiler:

ChaosCrystal

黒竜 影
    Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2014
    Funny, i don't know if i actually like Zane's character, or just want to put a fork on his eye =P

Colony

Years
  • I really like writing for Zane. It's different and so much more creative than many of the characters I've created. Who cares if he isn't likable to readers? He's still entertaining, and that's what matters most. ;)

Impossiperiod

The Impossible Period
    Years
  • Okay, I've done the history. It consists of nine paragraphs of full first-person perspective. A monologue of Yukio giving her life story up to the point of determine to attend Vale for her schooling. It sounds right to me right now and I think I've tied up loose ends.

You guys did say the personality was alright? I've done some editing of that too just enough to introduce the fact that she plays the violin. I should be able to post by this evening. Thanks.

Colony

Years
  • Songbird said:
    We didn't completely bring this to light either (but it seems appropriate to at least do so now since you have to expand on her anyways), given how you describe her in both the personality and history, Yukio would be utterly useless in an actual fight due to anxiety (because if a mage battle isn't hectic and chaotic in some form, then it's not much of a battle), and there's no development described whatsoever that tries to improve on this.
    @Impossiperiod: That's really the only thing that needs to be touched on in the personality, mostly because of how it affects Yukio's abilities in practicality. Cadenza still needs to be reworked too. It comes off as a really high level spell, but many of these spells have dangerous repercussions. For example, Zane can suffer internal hemorrhaging if he overuses Vector Shift and Indigo can suffer (what seems to be) third-degree burns if he overuses his Concentrated Flame spell. I could find several more examples, but I'm sure that you get my point. High level spells tend to backfire harder than just passing out. Can't wait to see the monologue and the finished rewrite, though.

Songbird

Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2024
    Okay, aside from what Colony pointed out, we're both glad you're not skimping on the detail this time, but I'm wondering: why does it have to be in first person?

Also, Zane's going to get a lot of injuries anyways, CC, so put the fork away before you hurt yourself, please. :3

Impossiperiod

The Impossible Period
    Years
  • CS OF YUKIO HIGASHI BELOW IN THE SPOILER

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Colony

Years
  • Impossiperiod you are officially Accepted.

@Master_Bait: Continue to work on your SU. Something tells me that there'll be another open spot within a few hours.

«Chuckles»

Sharky
    Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2023
    @Colony, I am unsure whether to leave this RP or not. I have no real idea where to continue since I was under the impression that I was going to battle. Can you point me in the direction of something todo and have the lessons started?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back