• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Verizon iPhone release

Gerri Shin

  
Years
  • Today in a press release at 11:00 AM EST Verizon announced that they would be carrying the Apple iPhone 4.
    Verizon iPhone release
    • The iPhone 4 will be available for pre-order by the current Verizon customers on Feb. 3rd 2011 and available to the general public on Feb 10th 3011
    • the Verizon iPhone will contain all features the current AT&T model has, with the exception of the SIM Card.
    • The Verizon Model will work on the CDMA infrastructure.
    • Models Available: 16GB will cost $199, 32GB will cost $299
    • The Verizon model will differ slightly from the AT&T model, in that the Verizon model will be able to function as a WiFi hotspot for 5 other devices out of the box.
    • The chrome bezel around the outside has been tweaked slightly to work better for the CDMA network
    • As far as color choices go, it appears that black is still the only option.

I will update further as more information becomes available, until then, feel free to discuss.

Please try to ignore those who troll this thread simply claiming that the iPhone is a waste of time/money/etc…

Last edited:

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    I'm sure the hacker community is already looking into ways to unlock the CDMA iPhone and activate it on Sprint and other regional CDMA carriers. Unlike AT&T iPhone's that are unlocked for T-Mobile, an unlocked Verizon-branded CDMA iPhone will work over Sprint's (and any other U.S. CDMA carrier that offers 3G service) 3G EV-DO network.

As for me? I'm sticking with Android for now. Maybe next year's iPhone will offer the features I want like video calling while not on Wi-Fi and Adobe Flash support.

Years
  • Maybe next year's iPhone will offer the features I want like video calling while not on Wi-Fi and Adobe Flash support.

I highly doubt the flash support will happen, unless they have already stated.
    Apple say, if I remember correctly, that they feel there is a security risk in putting Flash support on hand-helded devices. So iPhone/pad/touch and so on.​

jasonresno

[fight through it]
    Years
  • I want one. I need SOMETHING that has internet access that I can use at work. I've had an iPod Touch (32gb) for almost two years now and I love it. I just hate that all the places I wanna use it don't have wifi available.

Draci.Kun

Hungry Like the Wolf<3
    Years
  • It's about time.
    I have no problem with the iPhone itself...but I /do/ have a problem with AT&T's service.
    I think AT&T is going to go downhill after Verizon gets the iPhone...and such with Verizon if/when other companies such as Sprint and US Cellular get it.

In my personal opinion, AT&T and Verizon are the worse companies out there. My uncle got an iPhone like a year ago and he loved it, but he had to switch his phone company to get it, and within a month went back and got an Android phone because of AT&T's cruddy services...aren't they the ones with that a la carte crap?

Anyway, I'm kind of wondering how this is going to work out. I still doubt that Apple products are going to have flash any time soon, so I'll stick with my Android. Maybe next year, if things work out in the consumer's favor, I might think about getting it...I have to say that the prices aren't bad at all. So that's going to be a selling point.

I guess all we can do is sit and wait.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    I highly doubt the flash support will happen, unless they have already stated.
    Apple say, if I remember correctly, that they feel there is a security risk in putting Flash support on hand-helded devices. So iPhone/pad/touch and so on.​

That's funny.

Android has had Flash support ever since 2.1 Eclair was launched on the Nexus One and I've yet to hear of any security issues.

Steve Jobs just hates Adobe. I won't let his personal vendettas hamper my consumer experience.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    That's funny.

Android has had Flash support ever since 2.1 Eclair was launched on the Nexus One and I've yet to hear of any security issues.

Steve Jobs just hates Adobe. I won't let his personal vendettas hamper my consumer experience.
    Android is Android. This is Apple, and the iPhone. Things work differently in that playing field.

Flash support is a major downer in the Mac OS operating system, from my experiences. Though rare, the only time my browser crashes is because of Flash problem. I don't think he has any vendettas against Adobe, considering the fact that they proudly provide creative output with the Creative Suite, etc. It's just Flash that has a problem, and if you have or have ever used a Mac long enough to know, Flash is a hitting point in the operating system. If they can't manage to get it working properly on a desktop, or high power portable device like laptops, what makes you think they'd get it to work properly in iOS? C'mon now...

Anyway, I am super stoked for this. I want one, so badly. I don't know if I'm going to wait until the next release. I usually get an iPhone every other year when they perfect a newly introduced generation of the phone. I suspect that iPhone 4 will become iPhone 4G in the future, or some variant of the sort.

Silver

Kyle
    Years
  • Android is Android. This is Apple, and the iPhone. Things work differently in that playing field.

Flash support is a major downer in the Mac OS operating system, from my experiences. Though rare, the only time my browser crashes is because of Flash problem. I don't think he has any vendettas against Adobe, considering the fact that they proudly provide creative output with the Creative Suite, etc. It's just Flash that has a problem, and if you have or have ever used a Mac long enough to know, Flash is a hitting point in the operating system. If they can't manage to get it working properly on a desktop, or high power portable device like laptops, what makes you think they'd get it to work properly in iOS? C'mon now...

Anyway, I am super stoked for this. I want one, so badly. I don't know if I'm going to wait until the next release. I usually get an iPhone every other year when they perfect a newly introduced generation of the phone. I suspect that iPhone 4 will become iPhone 4G in the future, or some variant of the sort.

This is exactly the reason why the iPhone won't have flash, I'm glad I didn't have to type it all out. :D

Anyways, I already have an iPhone on ATT's network, and it's not bad at all. If anything I'll be interested to see how Verizon handles the flood of new 3G customers when the iPhone launches for them.

Also, as much as people ***** about ATT's network it really isn't that bad. I get perfectly fine speeds and talk clarity. Sure it can get slow in super metropolitan areas like NYC, but think about it, you have hundreds of thousands of people on the network, there's no way it's gonna work perfectly in that scenario. I'm 99% sure that verizon will suffer the same problems that ATT does in regards to the iPhone.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 4, 2018
    Steve Jobs has wrote thoughts on Flash a while back which can be found here. Personally, if the plan rate are any better I might convince Mom to try Verizon or something(for the iPhone), as we have AT&T as our current provider in mostly just our house and they aren't anything but good I could tell you that, their service is ridiculously inconvenient for me at times. My sister has used an AT&T phone and she never liked their service nor customer support, I actually couldn't agree more with her.

Koi

Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2023
    It's about time.
    I have no problem with the iPhone itself...but I /do/ have a problem with AT&T's service.
    I think AT&T is going to go downhill after Verizon gets the iPhone...and such with Verizon if/when other companies such as Sprint and US Cellular get it.

In my personal opinion, AT&T and Verizon are the worse companies out there. My uncle got an iPhone like a year ago and he loved it, but he had to switch his phone company to get it, and within a month went back and got an Android phone because of AT&T's cruddy services...aren't they the ones with that a la carte crap?

Anyway, I'm kind of wondering how this is going to work out. I still doubt that Apple products are going to have flash any time soon, so I'll stick with my Android. Maybe next year, if things work out in the consumer's favor, I might think about getting it...I have to say that the prices aren't bad at all. So that's going to be a selling point.

I guess all we can do is sit and wait.

I thoughts are exactly same with you. Unless iPhone gets flash, I'm sticking with my Android.

Years
  • So they're only just offering the iPhone on Verizon? Why did Apple restrict themselves to a single phone network? I know that you can get one with every phone network here in Australia, and it's been that way for a long time.

I suppose the prices are where we pay for it. Our dollars are basically at parity and the 16GB iPhone 4 is $859 from the Apple Store. :( Although that works on all networks.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    I'm also waiting on any word on whether or not Verizon will offer unlimited data for the iPhone 4. If they do, I'm sure more AT&T users will be jumping ship to Verizon.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I'd assume so considering your phone would be able to be used as a hotspot itself for other devices.

shot571

is it $200 after a contract or is it like a one off payment? :S $200 would be too cheap wouldnt it

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    That's the price of the phone. The phone is separate from the payments to the phone company. It's a one-time payment.

Silver

Kyle
    Years
  • That's the price of the phone. The phone is separate from the payments to the phone company. It's a one-time payment.

I think he's asking if it's a discounted price that comes with a two-year contract/two-year extension. Which is what it should be. The iPhone 4's retail price without a contract is $599 and $699 (for 16GB and 32GB respectively).

@shots: Yes it should be that it's $200 with either a new contract or a 2 year extension of your current contract (if you have Verizon already).

Peeky Chew

Master of Palettes
    Years
  • I don't even live in America, but when I heard about it I was still excited. It's really great that people can finally get a good signal!
    Now this has happened, it won't be long until Sprint and T-Mobile are. That's what happened here in England at least

AadmM

I AM THE BRAINWASHAAAA
    Years
  • I was soooo friggin' happy when I heard this. Totally unsurprised, but happy nonetheless. I've been wanting an iPhone since the beginning, and now's my chance to get one.

Of course, Apple will probably release a newer, updated model later this summer, so anyone who gets one now won't be able to upgrade for quite a bit longer. But I'm willing to make the sacrifice. At this point, anything's better than nothing. I just wanna get my hands on one :P

shot571

I think he's asking if it's a discounted price that comes with a two-year contract/two-year extension. Which is what it should be. The iPhone 4's retail price without a contract is $599 and $699 (for 16GB and 32GB respectively).

@shots: Yes it should be that it's $200 with either a new contract or a 2 year extension of your current contract (if you have Verizon already).
    yeah thats what i meant. thanks. well guess i gotta wait for a good deal out in the uk :/

Back