• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: VG Music Studio (In Development)

Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen May 12, 2019
Some quick issues:

1. The length of the bars can be extended like Sappy to more accurately represent the volume of notes.

2. Is it possible to add a function so that it can record the playing music into a wave or mp3 file?

3. The boss theme of the original Golden Sun (also in GS2) doesn't play right. In GS2 the track number is 752.

Kermalis

White Hat
Years
Some quick issues:

1. The length of the bars can be extended like Sappy to more accurately represent the volume of notes.

2. Is it possible to add a function so that it can record the playing music into a wave or mp3 file?

The bars in sappy are actually inaccurate since they can extend past the L/R range the UI shows. Here they can't do that, so you have a real sense of how loud the track is compared to how loud it can possibly be.
For recording, it is possible, but I won't do it soon.

3. The boss theme of the original Golden Sun (also in GS2) doesn't play right. In GS2 the track number is 752.

Can you send me a link to what it is supposed to sound like?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen May 11, 2019
As i was looking for a music editor, I'll definitely try this

Last edited:

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
I have noticed that one of the instruments for playing the berry obtain sound effect in R/S, FR/LG and of course, Emerald, doesn't fully play the instrument unlike it does on an emulator or real hardware, same thing with the Pokémon healing sound effect in a Pokémon Center or someone healing the player's Pokémon.

There is one thing to note regarding how GBA Music Studio works, it doesn't use the same "echo" effect with all of the sound data unlike how it does on a normal GBA or on an emulator (I know most GBA sound editors or players lacked the echo effect too). But the "echo" effect could end up being a new feature in the future that could be toggled on or off.

Last edited:

Kermalis

White Hat
Years
I have noticed that one of the instruments for playing the berry obtain sound effect in R/S, FR/LG and of course, Emerald, doesn't fully play the instrument unlike it does on an emulator or real hardware, same thing with the Pokémon healing sound effect in a Pokémon Center or someone healing the player's Pokémon.

There is one thing to note regarding how GBA Music Studio works, it doesn't use the same "echo" effect with all of the sound data unlike how it does on a normal GBA or on an emulator (I know most GBA sound editors or players lacked the echo effect too). But the "echo" effect could end up being a new feature in the future that could be toggled on or off.

The GB instruments are affected by hardware, so they will only sound proper on emulators and the real system. Therefore there is no real sound player that can make them sound as they would on the system; we'd have to emulate all of the necessary parts of the GBA for that.
For reverb: it is coded in, but I disabled it a few months ago due to crashes in Golden Sun 2.

Any possibility for compiled download?

There's a link in the main post.

Last edited:

Kermalis

White Hat
Years
Hello all, I am merging GBA Music Studio with NDS Music Studio into a single VG Music Studio that will possibly support more formats in the future. I have updated the links in the main post.

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
This will be absolutely amazing! Not to mention, the UIs will be improved over time to be suited for the file system-like formats, including the Nitro Soundmaker Data (SDAT) format, to make it more easier to select sequences, banks, wave archives and streams.

Currently, NDS Music Studio's code is designed with the same UI as GBA Music Studio, where sequences are selected via a drop-down box. But in the future, file system-like formats will be using a table next to the main UI to select sequences.

Last edited:

RyuRyuBunny

Your average Gen 4 editor
Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Feb 12, 2024
I need some help building the project, as the .sln doesn't load in Visual Studio and the start button appears as attach. Can I get a full tutorial on how to build the program?

Kermalis

White Hat
Years
I need some help building the project, as the .sln doesn't load in Visual Studio and the start button appears as attach. Can I get a full tutorial on how to build the program?

It is a Windows-only program so you need to be on Windows Vista or higher. You also need the .NET 4.7.1 SDK installed to build it and an internet connection so some dependencies are installed from within Visual Studio. I use Visual Studio 2019 but it should still work in 2017 as far as I can tell, and that's all you need.

Kermalis

White Hat
Years
Does this tool support expanded roms? Like 32mb?

Yes, but nothing beyond that is supported because on GBA the only way to get more space is with a "bank switcher" chip which I do not wish to emulate or detect (not that any official cartridge with a bank switcher chip uses the engines I support anyway)

Years
  • Age 20
  • Seen Oct 30, 2023
I used your tool for a 32 mb rom but it ddn't work. Ik im being annoying but is it normal for the tool to not be able to locate certain files with an expanded rom?

Kermalis

White Hat
Years
I used your tool for a 32 mb rom but it ddn't work. Ik im being annoying but is it normal for the tool to not be able to locate certain files with an expanded rom?

Expanded rom means nothing to the tool at all, you are probably forgetting to edit the MP2K.yaml file to load the proper songtable address.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jul 3, 2020
Question: is the Superstar Saga soundfont currently unusable in GBA Rom Hacks? I don't yet have the means to work with VGMusicStudio (or any ROM hacking materials for that matter), but I've been fooling around with that soundfont for a while with the intention of using it in ROM hacks. Am I wasting my time?

Kermalis

White Hat
Years
Question: is the Superstar Saga soundfont currently unusable in GBA Rom Hacks? I don't yet have the means to work with VGMusicStudio (or any ROM hacking materials for that matter), but I've been fooling around with that soundfont for a while with the intention of using it in ROM hacks. Am I wasting my time?

What do you mean about it being usable? In theory you can insert anything into a GBA rom hack if you have enough space. If you want to talk about it then join the discord: http://discord.gg/mBQXCTs

Back