• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Wardrobe/Customization & Hair Options Discussion

~Platina's Jason~

Platina Fan to the 9th Degree~
    Years
    I do see what you're saying and I guess that does make sense but. I'd just rather have customization. And tbh I see what you're saying as almost like if someone said "I'd rather not have had the option to be a girl in FRLG/HGSS because there wasn't that option before."
    I don't understand how that comparison works. Could you explain?

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
    Years
    I hope they bring this back! I'd definitely like to see some summer-type clothes since we'd be in Hoenn. Hopefully we can remove hats, too, and also have some decent looking haircuts for the males.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    If anything, I think we'll definitely get more customization rather than less.

I'd like to see more wardrobe choices for both genders, but I especially felt sorry for the male player characters in X and Y, because they got even less choices than that girls. Soooo I hope that changes with the upcoming games.

If they don't have trainer customization, or if they keep the outfits as limited as before, I'll be super surprised. Especially since X and Y customization was the first time they'd ever done something like that with a Pokemon game, so that leaves a lot of room for improvment. I feel like the remakes are a good playing field for them to try out different customization and wardrobe changes.

Something that would be cool to see would be including outfits that matched, or at least referenced May and Brendan's original outfits from RSE.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    Yeah, it would be cool to see the remade Brendan/May and not customizing them, but at least change of clothes is something necessary. And the skin colour, to avoid racism. But is it really going to be so bad with a few change of clothes? I don't really think so.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    I don't understand how that comparison works. Could you explain?
    You're saying you don't want customization because the characters are too iconic to change. But adding girls is also a change to iconic player character options, is it not? Red and Gold are iconic characters. Adding the option to be someone else is a change to that. But they were added to appeal to a more diverse audience. Girls often want to play as girls, it's easier to self-insert that way. And Pokémon is the player's own journey.
    Brendan and May are widely loved. Adding the option to customize them will be a change to that. But they're still there, they'd be the base model, the opposite-gendered protag would be in the story as the base model. But customization gives even more of a way to self-inset. That's just really important- how many people of different skin tones, hair colors, fashion senses are playing Pokémon now? So many. And they often want to see themselves reflected in the character they're playing as.

And it's not like Brendan and May would be gone. You can totally just play as their default designs. But customization appeals so much to people that it would be silly not to have it.

~Platina's Jason~

Platina Fan to the 9th Degree~
    Years
    Well yes your reasoning makes sense. I never denied that. It's just that I would personally prefer to stick to the default because of the iconicness and that for me that overules the desire to make the characters look like me. -Shrug- Just answering part of the question the thread proposed.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    And that's fine. I'm just saying, even with customization implemented, there's no reason you have to use it if you don't want. So it'd probably be better if it were there and people with your opinion could choose not to use it rather than it not be there and everyone who absolutely adored it and looked forward to seeing it utilized more be denied a very popular option.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    Haha, yeah. I don't feel bad about it either way, just that customizing ourselves and our Secret Base together makes it get that customisation feel. But then again, I'm not hardpressing for wardrobes either.

Killjoy

"He was a laser fish."
    Years
    No hats, no masters

I very much enjoyed the direction they took customization in x and y, and would be happy with just a few more options. As was said some simple things like the ability to take your hat off would be appreciated, as I don't generally wear a hat in year life.

More options for bags would be nice. For instance, I was hoping the X and Y character would have access to backpacks as well as their satchels.

As well as just a few more outfits, expecially for the male

εcho.

The silver ninetales
    Years
    More options for guys.
    More clothes in general.
    HATLESS OPTIONS.

I really enjoyed the customization feature in XY so I hope they keep it in Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire.

I like what the previous poster suggested about backpacks as well as satchels/purses as well.

Kyrul

Long Live The Note
    Years
    I want the option for no hats.
    Oh, and tattoos. I see 10 year olds wearing those fake tattoos all the time, so it's cool.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    Since Kalos had some inspiration from France in their clothes I hope they use clothes used in Japan (hopefully Kyushu since that's what Hoenn is base off of). Maybe the girls will get Lolita dresses...
    I sure hope that we boys get more hair styles...I liked changing it up.
    Also if they change the default clothes of the player characters from the original then I hope they sell the original clothes from Emerald and from Ruby and Sapphire's (maybe a blue version of these ones, so that those who are playing as May and who are into Pokemon special can dress up May like Sapphire)

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    I really hope customization remains. It was introduced mostly for the PSS, and since gen 3 had no touch-screen, I don't see why they can't just re-use the PSS, Amie, and Super Training (unless they want to exchange Super Training for something new but what that could be I have no idea--maybe Contest related?).

The PSS is really great. I don't want to see it go and I don't see why Game Freak would remove it after they worked so hard on it. As a result, I can't imagine character customization leaving, either.

With that being said, I really hope we get more clothing options, and more ways to mix and match. And I can understand their reasoning for wanting hats always on but I think an option to remove it would be more worthwhile. And just...more of everything. More hat types, more hairstyles.

And it would be so cool if in the more tropical areas you got swimwear and such. Aaaaah! Excitement!

Salzorrah

[font=Montserrat][b][color=#66CC66]g[/color][color
    Years
    > More hats and bandannas
    > More hairstyles
    > More contacts
    > More clothes
    > Option to remove hats

I love customizing my avatar in XY so I would love to see it in ORAS :33

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
    Some wardrobe options that I would like to see implemented are:

-An option for Brendan May's Ruby/Sapphire outfits (red-based headbands, yellow bags) and Emerald outfits (green headbands, shorts+pants for Brendan, green bags)..

-Team Magma outfits and Team Aqua outfits, of course..
    Wardrobe/Customization & Hair Options Discussion
    Maybe even Team Rocket for nostalgia purposes?

-an option to have outfits that resemble the Ruby/Sapphire Poke Maniac cosplayers, CoolTrainers, Pokemon Breeders, and Pokemon Rangers..?

-Although really minor, an option to make Brendan's "white mass" look more like actual hair than a hat..

-An option to make May resemble her Pokemon Special/manga counterpart, Sapphire:

-maybe some clothing options from Pokemon Colosseum/XD that Wes, Michael, and Rui wore? They are fellow beloved Generation 3 games, after all:

-hatless options.

-all of May's wonderful, wonderful dresses and outfits from Pokemon: Advanced Generation saga and onwards. Seriously, they practically foreshadowed customization in Ruby/Sapphire remakes. XD

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2017
    Oh~ho this a subject I could talk about for days.
    What I'm going to say here will probably end up echoed numerous times over generations until every single feature I want appears (Whether that's realistic or not.)

The minimum improvement I want to see is very simple.
    -Hatless option.

-Unnatural colored hair and eye options.

-Different eye styles.

-Clothing in at least 9 base colors for each outfit. The primary colors, secondary colors, black, white, and brown. Preferably the addition of turquoise and pink since they have been used extensively throughout Pokemon. They recolored 700+ models for shiny Pokemon. I think the team is capable of doing this.

The more extensive stuff that is, in all honesty, unlikely.
    -Different eyebrow styles. This one's just unlikely. But it could be a nice touch.

-A separate layer for jackets and undershirts.

-I want access to every art asset, save maybe the gym leader's clothing. I don't see any reason we shouldn't be able to wear the clothes the NPCs have. The assets are RIGHT THERE. Take advantage of them.

-No gender exclusive clothing. This is really more unlikely than it is extensive. But just remove the gender exclusivity. Options are always good to have. There's no reason to limit people.

-A much greater variety of cuts for the clothing. If GameFreak would make it so players dictated how clothing looked rather than having pre-made sets the Pokemon world would be astronomically better. Just give us a bunch of different cuts and let us take care of the color and design.

-A dyeing system for clothing (and hair if we can't get unnatural colors at the start.) You don't necessarily need to give us the entire hex spectrum of colors. But if we could at least modify clothing to match closer to the the colors we want them to be that would be great. Bonus points if we can dye every part of the clothes (such as the patterns) rather than just the base color.

-A component based system for hair. A bang portion, back portion, and auxiliary (ponytails, pigtails, and cowlicks.) With a system like this more pieces is infinitely better. But even if it's just three bang portions, back portions, and the auxiliary examples I mentioned it still comes out to a lot of variety. Also, there is no need to gender lock any of this stuff.

-The ability to create the textures for the clothing like you can in Animal Crossing: New Leaf. This one is probably not going to happen. That's the type of feature that should probably be saved for a 100% new title. Don't care. I'd like to see it. The great thing about this is that even if you don't get the exact cut of clothing you want to see you can at least try and fake it. No tuxedo? Take a long sleeve shirt and draw on it to look like one. If it can be shared via QR code, that's even better. (I do understand that since the game uses two models for the player this would be difficult. But they could just make a formula to resize whatever you draw.)

-Take the good from the Mii Creator. Let us mess around with stuff like the spacing between our nose and mouth, the angle our eyebrows are at, how big we want our eyes (Especially since Valerie has massive eyes), and all that jazz.

Years
    I kind of wish it wouldn't come back for this installment, mainly because it's a remake of RSE. But on the bright side, they can add the outfits from Emerald! (I'm guessing they'll be using the Ruby and Sapphire clothing)

Although, I would be happy with being able to customize Brendan. It'd be cool to take his hat off, finally. xD

Chibi-chan

The Freshmaker!
    Years
    Why would anyone want to customize May and Brendan's outfit...they're so perfect already....

If you take a look at what they wear, you'll see that it's highly tailored to Hoenn's conditions. Unlike X/Y, where the weather was just nice all around, Hoenn's conditions are extreme, hence May's 'underarmor' and Brendan's pants tucked into his shoes. If there are new outfits, I really wouldn't want them to be cute and frilly; that doesn't fit with the environment. If there is clothing customization, they should be outfits that are consciousness of the climate of Hoenn. Something that's cute, but durable and can get dirty. It's important for me at least that if there was clothing customization, it wouldn't detract from the immersion.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    Player customization

I've searched around for a thread pertaining to this feature but it seems that there is none! Or at least, none that I saw. Forgive me if there is already one!

Anyway, XY introduced an innovative player customization feature. This is something that I quite enjoyed doing, but I still felt lacking, to some degree. Is it possible that they're going to introduce a similar mechanic?

I would love for this feature to make a return. As I've said earlier, I absolutely enjoyed tailoring how my player looks like. I think it'd be a great addition to the already amazing games.

Back