• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Wardrobe/Customization & Hair Options Discussion

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    I hope they will. Really do. In fact, what I want is for them to improve it significantly and add way more options. Like glasses or more types of hair. That would be absolutely wonderful. And more clothes for male characters!

They can still have Brendon and May be the default for those types who don't like customizing characters and just want to move on or like their nostalgia buckets. I think that's probably what they WILL do, as a matter of fact.

Years
    I think they'll bring back trainer customization, although I hope they do not. I really want to play as the protagonists from the original games, for nostalgia. If they do bring back trainer customization, it wouldn't be the worst thing though.

blue

gucci
    Years
    I actually don't hope they bring back clothing or accessories. I never really dressed my characters up in X & Y nor did I have much of an interest to it. If they carried this over to ORAS then it wouldn't really feeling like you're playing as the original protagonists, May and Brendan.

Years
    The clothing customization feature is definitely something they can expand on. I'd like to see a large variety of different hats that can be worn, like beanies, baseball caps, headbands, bandanas, top-hats, fedoras, all in different colors and patterns. There could be more unique hairstyles implemented as well, along with more detail-oriented shirts and pants. X and Y's version of this feature left a lot to be desired, imo.

Years
    • Seen Nov 12, 2015
    Hairstyles? Boutiques? Don't let me down Hoenn!

What do you guys think? Do you think we'll be getting options for customization/hairstyles on our characters as much as X/Y or will we be gender locked like previous games? Personally, I hope they add more hairstyles for guys if there is customization because in X/Y there was only 3 while girls got 6 if i'm not wrong. And even if there were boutiques in ORAS, do you think that we'll get as much customization on our clothes like X/Y and more? I mean it's barely been a year since X/Y came out.

Altius

Flygon Fan
    Years
    Sadly, I don't see much use of hairstyles unless you play as a female character.

*Imagines May with other hairstyle*

Okay, maybe at Slateport?

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2017
    ORAS has lots of potential...
    Unlike X and Y where the budget on art assets had to have been seriously stretched, ORAS has the advantage of having lots of its art assets already complete. There shouldn't be too many additional models needed for the Pokemon. So hopefully this means the character customization can get a little bit more attention and resources.

I would imagine they will have character customization. Namely because unlike Gold, Silver, and Crystal the protagonists have two outfits as it is. Rather than deciding on one or the other they can just make both attires an option. And if you're going to go through that effort you may as well go all the way. Especially considering they have the basis for it from X and Y.

4D73R

Trainer Cobalt
    Years
    • Seen Jun 7, 2014
    Character Customization?

Do you guys think that there will be character customization? I'm scared that they won't because:
    1- The developers said that the reason that they implemented it into XY was because Paris was a place of fashion. Could that mean they are taking it out for the other games?

2- In a remake, you would expect to play as the main trainer, right?

3- If they do add more customization, will it be the same stuff or will they add more (if they do add customization, I think they would switch stuff like fedora's and other Paris style stuff)?

4- Could they add a character customization in the beginning like an MMO and to unlock more clothes later?

Maybe it's all over speculation, but I'm nervous about this game with it's aesthetics... What do you guys think? Otherwise I'm excited for the remake, I loved Emerald when I played it. :D

Whitney's Shaymin

Creator Of Pokemon Grace
    Years
    Do you guys think that there will be character customization? I'm scared that they won't because:
    1- The developers said that the reason that they implemented it into XY was because Paris was a place of fashion. Could that mean they are taking it out for the other games?

2- In a remake, you would expect to play as the main trainer, right?

3- If they do add more customization, will it be the same stuff or will they add more (if they do add customization, I think they would switch stuff like fedora's and other Paris style stuff)?

4- Could they add a character customization in the beginning like an MMO and to unlock more clothes later?

Maybe it's all over speculation, but I'm nervous about this game with it's aesthetics... What do you guys think? Otherwise I'm excited for the remake, I loved Emerald when I played it. :D

That's like saying they're taking out mega evolutions because it's a "kalos only" thing, which considering the box art, i doubt (it is possible though :( )

Anyways I hope they add more cloths because I love customizing, plus it would be perfect for contests :P

4D73R

Trainer Cobalt
    Years
    • Seen Jun 7, 2014
    Yeeeeah, I guess it's just me being nervous about the game. I wish they would release a bit more info. The only reason I thought they would take out customization is because it's a remake, that could force you to be Brandon or May. Unless they make Brandon or May the champion and you just start your adventure in Hoenn. :O Dun dun duuuuuuuun!!!

Years
    Hoenn is the land of Pokemon Contests. I see no reason why not go by that reason alone. Though wether it should be in or not isnt a simple choice I can give. For one thing I wouldnt change a thing about the current protagonists because their designs are perfect to me as they are; but having the option to personalize anything they give you in these games should never be questioned. I wouldnt change a thing but it shouldnt limit other people who might want to customize them. I might want to recolour them myself at most. This feature has been desired for years and highly utilized online. Instead of fighting clones of yourself we need the option just for some sense of real individuality regardless.

The only problem I have with X/Y's customization was how constricting it was. The clothing offered was pretty generic compared to the other clothing used in the games. Instead of giving us badass clothing like what the ace trainers, gym leaders and rangers wear... we get simple jeans and baseball hats.....smh.

4D73R

Trainer Cobalt
    Years
    • Seen Jun 7, 2014
    You're right. Hoenn's contests will hopefully add more dress styles in the competitions with changing to tuxedos and etcetera. I agree with the thing about XY clothing being restricted. They could have at least added a unique type of clothing like Lucas has a scarf or Brandon has a headband. Something like that would've been awesome. However I'm not complaining about the customization in XY because it was the start of something brand new in the Poke generations. It's better than fighting thousands of protagonists that seem to be your twin (Momma has explaining to do).

Years
    You're right. Hoenn's contests will hopefully add more dress styles in the competitions with changing to tuxedos and etcetera. I agree with the thing about XY clothing being restricted. They could have at least added a unique type of clothing like Lucas has a scarf or Brandon has a headband. Something like that would've been awesome. However I'm not complaining about the customization in XY because it was the start of something brand new in the Poke generations. It's better than fighting thousands of protagonists that seem to be your twin (Momma has explaining to do).
    As much as I want it, it would feel pointless if they dont give us desirable clothing worth the exchange, if the clothing we get at default is better than the clothing they give us it doesn't equate. In how I wanted Customization I would have expected to get clothing from the other players that already preexist, like getting Dawn's hat, or her boots or something. Not just random unpokemonish sunglasses and hates. The clothing in X/Y didnt really make the game look like a pokemon game, but rather more a persona game. Thats not what I want.

4D73R

Trainer Cobalt
    Years
    • Seen Jun 7, 2014
    Yeah, the style does remind me of persona. The clothing styles did lack that pizzazz but hopefully they will add some cool stuff that looks like it could be the new clothing of an ace trainer. The girl's styles to me looked good simply because of the more trainer looking style. That just my opinion, but the boy's looks like we are just Old Navy models. Maybe we will get something better in the future, but I'm looking forward to them bringing back the secret bases (HOPEFULLY). That was so cool. I have a doubt in my mind about it however, I wish Gamefreak would not focus to much on the battling and maybe make games that resemble the life of a trainer.

Princess Diana

the people's princess
    Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Now that they've added it into X/Y, it would seem a bit reductive to remove it in future games. If it is included once again (and I hope that it becomes a regular feature from here on out), then I hope there are more options i.e. the option to remove your hat

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    If we play as Brandon/May, it would be so strange to see Brandon without that white hat imo. :P

i.e. the option to remove your hat

This. It really bothered me that my character couldn't not wear a hat.

4D73R

Trainer Cobalt
    Years
    • Seen Jun 7, 2014
    That's one of the things that nagged at me a bit. You couldn't remove your hat, but for some reason, you could remove your socks. Weird right? Maybe they will change this in the future.

Years
    I don't want anymore generic clothing or generic hair styles. I want clothing from the actual region in the actual game.

- They need to add a colour-slidder. Its ridiculous that you cant really be free with what type of trainer you make. You should be able to make your hair, clothes and skin any colour you want rather than just a few generic standard colours they give you.

- Facial expressions should be an option, the ability to choose your emotion and facial expression is a must. The generic bland face you had in X/y was just creepy to look at, you looked like a doll.

- The clothing options in X/Y was just sad. Men barely had any options for themselves unlike the girls but even their options were really limited. Its the only thing I hate about the idea is that there is barely anything ever better than your own clothing to wear.

Last edited:
    Back