• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Was Platinum worth it?

Years
    Most of us get suckered into buying the third Pokemon game, and sometimes the third game actually offers enough new content, to make them worthwhile. What about Platinum, however, was it enough of an improvement from D/P to be worth your hard-earned cash?

Dr. Montague

FOnewm
    Years
    Personally, I don't feel like Platinum offered much content that Pearl didn't give to me already. The Distortion World was nice, for the 10 minutes you're in there and the few you're there getting the Griseous Orb. The formes, while also nice, didn't provide much for me since I very rarely end up using Legendaries on my team (Rotom excluded), nor could they be used in any form of multiplayer. The Battle Frontier was the addition I enjoyed the most and where I ended up the most after the E4. Including the minor differences (Aesthetic changes such as different trees or random snow, Rebattling Gym Leaders, and updated Regional Dex to hold those evolutions), I still do not think that Platinum offered enough new content, but this could also be that I played Pearl so much that there was too much of the same within the two games.

Years
    Personally, I found Platinum to be a step up from D/P in that it added things that D/P were lacking in. However, I believe that a lot of the things added in Platinum should've been in D/P [sped up surf speed, etc.]

So, yeah. I'd say Platinum was definitely worth it when compared to Diamond/Pearl. ):

HoodieDoodie

The Electric Soldier
    Years
    Yes! I think Platinum was well worth the money. I prefer to have multiple games of the same generation, because I can play them all in a different way :)
    I loved the new features in Platinum, the distortion world was brilliant, and even now I haven't ever beaten the elite four yet, whilst on Diamond I've completed it about 10 times. I don't know why this is, its possibly that the pokemon are harder to train in Plat, or I'm just getting lazier ;/

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Platinum was definitely worth it. I enjoyed exploring the Distortion World. A lot of Pokemon got competitive improvements, such as Scizor with Bullet Punch.

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
    Yeah, Platinum was worth it, totally. It was so far superior to D/P in my opinion that I couldn't not buy it. The characters of Looker and Charon were no huge drawcard for me, but I did find it much better in general. Also, Dawn's winter outfit is much better-looking than her summer one.

Edsbob

TECHNOLOGY TODAY IS INCREDIBLE
    Years
    I only have Platinum. I skipped Hoenn, and I never thought I would pick up Pokemon again until I found Platinum. I also looked into the differences between DP and Pt before buying it.

The Battle Frontier (the whole island really), the Distortion World, your own villa... Yep, I think platinum had enough for me. That's all it takes for me.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    Yes, Platinum was definitely worth it. Expanded storyline, many of the problems with D/P (like sloooooow Surf) were addressed, and I just liked the overall feel of the game better than D/P.

And in Platinum I get to own a large resort villa instead of having to see someone else own one *coughcoughtherichesfamilyinblackandwhitecoughcough*

chaos11011

[untitled]
    Years
    • Age 27
    • MA
    • Seen May 4, 2021
    Yes, Platinum was worth it. Scizor and Rotom became extremely usefull with Bullet Punch and Alternate Forms repsectively. More pokemon where added Pre-Nacional Dex. Surfing issues were fixed, and a much harder difficulty was worth it to.

Years
    Platinum was definitely worth it. It doesn't seem like much from the previews you might see on Serebii or some other site, but it really does make Diamond and Pearl look comparatively terrible. The Distortion World, the extra storyline, the extra battles.. it was better in just about every way to the originals.

s0nido

turn up the engine
    Years
    Well...I didn't actually buy Platinum. :x
    But I have to say, if I did, it would've been worth every cent. Platinum was a major improvement over Diamond and Pearl. Firstly, the game speed increased. I'm not sure if anyone else noticed this, but while playing Pearl, there were always little pauses after every action in a battle. One pause in a battle wouldn't be such a big problem, but a lot of these pauses in the game would accumulate, making the battle drag on unecessarily. In Platinum, however, these pauses were removed, so the game was much faster than the previous games.

Secondly, there were more Pokemon available in Platinum. Diamond and Pearl had a lot of exclusive Pokemon that could only be caught in either game. However, in Platinum, many of these exclusive Pokemon were included in Platinum. Even though Platinum didn't include all of the exclusive Pokemon, the more significant ones such as Palkia and Dialga were really helpful. It was no longer necessary to possess both Diamond and Pearl to have Palkia and Dialga. Furthermore, in Platinum, these two legendaries are found at the higher level of lv70. Though Giratina was levelled down to lv47, the inclusion of Giratina's Origin Forme made up for this.

One major asset of Platinum was the inclusion of the Battle Frontier to the 4th generation games. From Platinum onwards, players were able to take part in the Battle Frontier until HeartGold and SoulSilver. This gave players something to do after the completion of the game. I myself found the Battle Frontier much more engaging than the Battle Tower in Diamond and Pearl.

There were also a lot of graphics improvements as well. In Diamond and Pearl, the graphics were hardly appealing at all, especially the battle scenes. In Platinum, the graphics of the battles was improved. Pokemon back sprites were improved so that the Pokemon mimicked their front sprites' animations.

In the end, I'd say that Platinum was definitely not a waste of money. It was a significant improvement over Diamond and Pearl, and improved gameplay, graphics and overall enjoyment greatly. Overall, Platinum was better, and even with the release of Pokemon Black and White, I'd reccommend people to buy Platinum, if only for enjoyment.

cockatoo777

Pokemon Music Lover
    Years
    For those that didn't get D/P, Definitely.
    For those that did get D/P, I still think its worth it as it contains certain pokemon that are not available/hard to get in D/P.

Diablo361

Trainer of the Dawn
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2018
    Platinum, in my opinion, is the magnum opus of Gen 4, and is in general my 2nd favorite game (behind BW)

It sped up the DP gameplay a lot, it gave a HUGE variety of Pokemon, giving you many options to play with. Made the Galatic story much more interesting. And lots of nifty features.

Definitely the best game Gen 4, and a worthy upgrade from DP

Last edited:

The Nightmare

"I fight for what I belive in"
    Years
    It's not that diffrent from the d/p games it just has better stuff and new legendarys you can find on the game so wasn't really that good to me.

NamelessGuy

<Insert Witty Title Here>
    Years
    Platinum, in my opinion, greatly enhanced the Gen IV experience. Like Emerald in the generation before it, it provided better features and graphics to keep the player interested.

Dark Piplup

This user title is original
    Years
    I guess it was worth it. But my main file is Diamond not Platinum. Platinum gave new Gen. 4 Pokes and the ability to get more old ones. It also gave you a better post game training. Which was really a relief. But I will always prefer my Diamond.

Years
    It wasn't really worth it for me. It felt like everything was just the same as diamond pearl, but i did have a fun time playing the game.

BenjiTheKid

Cooltrainer Benji
    Years
    For people like me who started with Platinum opposed to D/P, I think that it was worth it, yes. However, for people who played D/P first... I honestly don't think it was.

Back