• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] Was the Essentials Wiki taken down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damien.aspiring.fandev

Chapter 16 A New Dawn { ||:^❩ )
Years
  • ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦
    Essentials fan-dev Maruno said:
    I don't know if there's anything for me to say. Do what Marin says and don't try to find download links here. It's best not to even talk about downloading Essentials here, really.
    Don't let this put you off game development. It'd be a shame if that's all it took to stifle creativity. You knew what you were doing when you started/got interested, and this event doesn't change anything.
    Thus wrote fan-dev Maruno!
    And now...
    We could say that takedown... wasn't very effective!
    images
    images

LeinadWorks said:
    If Nintendo continues this, they won't have a fanbase who loves Pokemon anymore, Nintendo's turning into Konami 2.0 at this point.....
    Actually, from what I understood, either it's Nintendo of America, which is a division,
    or either it's The Pokémon Company International, which is a subsidiary...
    I wish whoever took action at least deigned the other involved parts of consultation... but I could've gotten it all wrong ;)
    STILL, the engine will live on, just without updates(methinks) and not linked to in here!
    Let us celebrate by playing play trumpets, Kalosian horns, pianos, sawtooth synths, clarinets, celestas and whatever stereotypical instruments come to our mind!
    FL said:
    So, it's okay to do this (and request wikia dumps) by email?
    Oh, hey fan-dev FL!
    Since it doesn't involve Pokécommunity in any way, my guess is that it's perfectly fine! (not sure if it implies any risks)
    I can't exactly help however, last time I tried to upload a project it gave me an extimated 16 hours, followed by an "upload failed" message...
    7513615036.png
    latest

Well, no surprise I couldn't share an Essentials project with someone else...
    Actually, perhaps I oughtn't type about this... but I just wrote regard my unability of doing anything, so it ought be fine, right...?
    ...uh, I'm not getting redacted and warned, am I...?

❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦

IlligalBeagle

Beagle Goddess
    Years
    • Seen Aug 1, 2020
    ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦
    I don't know if it's viable, and I might turn out a bit impertinent, but...
    I'd like to propose the partially recognized insular country of Niue!
    tumblr_m0rrc3UeqP1qfzjwwo1_500.png

Still... about the whole fan-games business... we still don't know whether distributing
    Essentials-based fan-games will count as distributing Essentials and thus result illegal,
    but if it WILL, someone might still find a way to get around that much like with rom patches, who knows?
    Or maybe an alternative will arise, just like someone hypothesized already!
    When a star goes down, thousand others show up!
    Gonna add a quote from thy partner on PMD:R&B RTs
    pikachu-lets-be-positive-and-keep-moving-33164815.png

One thing I wonder... why can't I access the MAIN page of Pokécommunity?

I think I am liking this country. Let us start here. I know we aren't really supposed to be talking about this, but I really think that this is important. I have literally never heard of this place (I have heard bits and pieces of Yugoslavia though) so this is pretty good. If it doesn't work out, we can always try one of the 200 extra countries listed when your videos get taken down and it is said which countries you are banned in and you have literally not heard of half of them (who knew Sony was so sensitive about My Hero Academia music).

No, I don't forgive you for being paranoid. I can understand it on some level, but the amount of fear some people seem to have is simply astounding.
    Do you always fold when things get hairy? You may only have done this (as in making fangames) as an exercise for future projects on your own, but there are certainly creators out there who do not want to make anything different simply because this is their passion. If all of us, either as creators or fans, would handle this the same way as you, Nintendo, and indeed all companys, would have already won.
    If you are not willing to take risks, your life will always be mediocre (and this goes for any part of life).

And I agree. Awkward quote pictures, ENTER THE SCENE!
    Spoiler:

Edit: Put this is a spoiler for the picture is really Hugh.

Last edited:

Damien.aspiring.fandev

Chapter 16 A New Dawn { ||:^❩ )
    Years
  • IlligalBeagle said:
    I think I am liking this country. Let us start here. I know we aren't really supposed to be talking about this, but I really think that this is important. I have literally never heard of this place (I have heard bits and pieces of Yugoslavia though) so this is pretty good.
    Well, New Zealand is responsible for its defense and foreign affairs, the Niuean are
    New Zealand passport holders and one or two representatives are shared, but
    that seems to be about it(idem for the Cook Islands).
    Niue has recognition from 11 UN member states, despite not being a member or observant.
    I was also going to propose the two Guyanas, but they're on a vivillon map,
    plus one used to be a French oversea department and is under French sovereignty,
    thus I wanted to play safe ;). [What do I know, maybe Guyana(sovereign) is actually viable?]
    As for Yugoslavia, well... that's a former federal country located in the Balkans' area,
    whose federal states separated. At least, I think, I oughta check.
    IlligalBeagle said:
    Edit: Also, I am really sorry for its hugness. Didn't kow it was this big and not sure I can shrink it down. Not trying to be spammy...
    Ah, it's okay! Nothing that a spoiler can't resolve! (on my phone it looked normal 'tho...)
    Also, Hughness...
    Spr_B2W2_Hugh.png

Uhm... I might be getting a bit off-topic... but the issue is mostly solved, right? Things will go on!
    We can still go on with our developments!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 30, 2022
    No, I don't forgive you for being paranoid. I can understand it on some level, but the amount of fear some people seem to have is simply astounding.
    Do you always fold when things get hairy? You may only have done this (as in making fangames) as an exercise for future projects on your own, but there are certainly creators out there who do not want to make anything different simply because this is their passion. If all of us, either as creators or fans, would handle this the same way as you, Nintendo, and indeed all companys, would have already won.
    If you are not willing to take risks, your life will always be mediocre (and this goes for any part of life).

Oh...okay? Well, I guess that's one way to look at it. No, I wanted to develop fan games for probably the same reason everyone else here does, but I also feel like Nintendo should reap some consequences of their actions against their fans... but if no one else feels the same, then...okay, I guess. I just feel like it's kind of unfair for Nintendo to try to make fans feel like they're doing something illegal by making games Nintendo wouldn't ever make themselves and giving the franchise extra popularity in the process, only for Nintendo to come back and get them for copyright infringement.

Sigh, I'll probably continue working on my fan games, too, but it will be a disappointment if anything else happens.

Last edited:

IlligalBeagle

Beagle Goddess
    Years
    • Seen Aug 1, 2020
    It doesn't seem that Fandom has given the Content Dump...
    I think there was something in the terms of service thing that said that they won't give it out if it violated copyright though and that wiki did sooooo they probably aren't going to give it to us anytime soon.

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
    Years
  • I know this is a lot of work, but could we not just take out all the references to Pokemon and stuff in the kit, replace them with custom assets and call it a "Monster battler starter kit" or something? The only thing Nintendo has the rights to here is the Pokemon themselves, art assets, and the name "Pokemon". I'm not mistaken here, am I?

They don't own the concept, or else things like Yokai Watch wouldn't be able to exist.

Last edited:

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
    Years
  • It might be, but that's kind of an anti-argument IMO. That's like saying "Having nothing is better than having something."

BadSamaritan

Gone Fishin'
    Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2023
    I know this is a lot of work, but could we not just take out all the references to Pokemon and stuff in the kit, replace them with custom assets and call it a "Monster battler starter kit" or something? The only thing Nintendo has the rights to here is the Pokemon themselves, art assets, and the name "Pokemon". I'm not mistaken here, am I?

Relatively defeats the purpose of making an easy to use kit, when you have spend half your time locating resources to make it work in the first place.

They don't own the concept, or else things like Yokai Watch wouldn't be able to exist.

They do own the concept, the concept of Pok?mon. Monster battling =/= Pok?mon.

It might be, but that's kind of an anti-argument IMO. That's like saying "Having nothing is better than having something."

It's not an anti-argument, because you made the assumption the only two options here are doing the kit like you suggested, and it not existing at all. When in reality, a third option of doing what we already are, i.e. keeping essentials as is but not providing download links, is better than both. It's how Rom hacks have worked on this site well before essentials took off, and needless to say that community is still thriving and well.

Last edited:

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
    Years
  • 1: Doesn't defeat the purpose, it just kind of complicates things. Keeping what's ours available is for the best. Yeah, we could just keep Pokemon Essentials as is and make it hard to obtain, but that STILL defeats the purpose, when we could just remove the offensive (copyright wise) material.

2: You knew what I meant.

3: It's an anti-argument because our current "option" is still infringing on their Copyright, AND is bypassing a DMCA request. There would inevitably be a community effort to mod Pokemon back in through mods, yes, and that's all well and good, but to keep the base kit that inaccessible because of that is silly.

Anyway, this is really up to Maruno above all else, I just felt it's important that the idea be put out there.

SpartaLazor

Doofus Lunarius
    Years
  • It's kinda pointless to just take out all of the Pokemon content from Essentials at this point. Even if it was taken down, you can still easily find copies of it on the internet. Why bother having to go through all the trouble of putting the assets together again when I can just as easily get one of the original copies that already has it all done?

IlligalBeagle

Beagle Goddess
    Years
    • Seen Aug 1, 2020
    Mhm. Though is we were once again giving it a more public face, we could change it (because I haven't been able to find those copies that you speak of anywhere)

Amyrakunejo

Philosophical Pagan Femme Fair Gynesexual Gamer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2020
    It's really just plain sad that the fans are essentially given the finger for wanting to promote the products of their beloved franchises with fan-made products, but that's the greedy, avaricious state of mortal-kind we currently see, but it won't last, I can guarantee you this much.

And of course, we still have everything we need, just harder to acquire, for now.

Don't worry, my fellow devs, gamers and fans; we'll see the end of the anti-fan corporation tactics, just be patient and let us, the Resistance, do our diligence.

SpartaLazor

Doofus Lunarius
    Years
  • Don't worry, my fellow devs, gamers and fans; we'll see the end of the anti-fan corporation tactics, just be patient and let us, the Resistance, do our diligence.

You're making this unnecessary more dramatic than it needs to be. The takedown sucks, sure. But everything's still out there. Games are still being made. Things are nearly the same as they were before.

We don't need a bloody revolution or anything.

BadSamaritan

Gone Fishin'
    Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2023
    You're making this unnecessary more dramatic than it needs to be. The takedown sucks, sure. But everything's still out there. Games are still being made. Things are nearly the same as they were before.

We don't need a bloody revolution or anything.

Thank you. I'm getting really tired of this supposed "anti-fan" narrative some users on here are trying to paint.

They do realize that Nintendo/TPC has allowed more fan-games/hacks of Pok?mon to exist, than any other IP in history, right? But hey, let's focus on the 1 or 2 they shut down each year, 90% of the time being related to money/ads.

If literally any other series from any other publisher, inspired the same amount of fan-games that Pok?mon does, you'd see the exact same thing, If not worse.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back