• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Was the name change needed? (Isshu > Unova)

Isshu or Unova?

• Total voters

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Since a few people jumped at the chance to reply to the recently revived thread on this, I thought I might as well ask what people thought now.

As you may know, Unova is named "Isshu" in Japan, and what most of us who were around a few months ago called the region. When it was announced that Isshu would become Unova, many fans had a negative reaction.

When comparing Unova to other regions, Kanto, Johto, Hoenn and Sinnoh, only a few letters have changed between English and Japanese, unlike Isshu > Unova, which is a complete change and is said to represent the USA by its name. Adding to that, Unova has different names in a variety of languages that aren't just one letter change, either. I'm not entirely sure whether in previous games the names completely changed for other languages, but in this region it changed for almost every language.

Do you think it was a good idea for the Unova region to have a completely different name to what it is in Japan (Isshu)? Do you think keeping name consistency between different languages matters?

Also! Which do you prefer: Isshu or Unova?

(Remember, discussing how Unova is pronounced goes in this thread)

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
  • When comparing Unova to other regions, Kanto, Johto, Hoenn and Sinnoh, only a few letters have changed between English and Japanese, unlike Isshu > Unova, which is a complete change and is said to represent the USA by its name.
    Keeping the name consistency between the language doesnt matter to me. I like it that it's Unova. It adds on to the uniqueness to the region. But I have to say, Unova was not expected. But then again that applies to everything in Black and White xD

Years
  • I don't really have a problem with Unova, but chances are I am going to keep calling it Isshu for a while.

Nateon

Pokemon Will Be Real One Day!
    Years
  • I prefer Isshu to Unova, to me it sounds like they're saying 'and heres yet another place for our pokemon games'

Kamitsure-chan

Massive Cynthia fangirl. :3
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Apr 15, 2011
    I actually like Unova. It's clear that the games don't take place in anywhere remotely near the other regions, so it makes sense that the region's English name is vastly different compared to the others.

The Red Chain

Do you think it was a good idea for the Unova region to have a completely different name to what it is in Japan (Isshu)?
    Initially I thought the name change was really stupid, but then came the theory for {Un}ited States of {ov} Americ{a}. That's extremely clever. :D

Do you think keeping name consistency between different languages matters?

No, not really. As long as there is inspiration behind a name, I don't mind either way. :3

I don't have a preference, they both have their charms.

TheUnown

Super Lurker
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2015
    Well personally I like when things are consistent so compared to like Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh, it would've been nice if they kept Isshu to kind of follow that trend. However, Unova is pretty unique itself. I guess I have no preferences of one over the other since they both sound appealing ^^;

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
  • Do you think it was a good idea for the Unova region to have a completely different name to what it is in Japan (Isshu)?
    I hated it at first, I thought it was unneeded and I was so used to calling it Isshu. But now, like all pokemon names, I have gotten over it and I love it now XD It makes perfect sense re naming it to Unova, considering this region is like a new start after Hoenn.

Do you think keeping name consistency between different languages matters?

No... I guess not. I mean I'm pretty sure it is supposed to be called You-No-Va because it is an English name and that is how Americans/australians/ english should be saying it. But the Europeans saying differently is fine, because it makes sense in their culture.

.... Oh God.... Honestly, I can't decide. Ask me several months ago it would have been Isshu hands down... but now I can't choose XD They are both awesome names <3

~Ryukaa

total nerd
    Years
  • I prefer Unova over Isshu, really. xD;
    Anyway, I don't really see the problem in it.
    When Unova, I saw the Uno, which was meant to be similar to the I, in Isshu. So yeah, it was a bit of a pleasant surprise. xD;

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I Did like Isshu, I got used to calling it that, but now Unova is starting to settle and I think it's a good name

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Just added a poll.
    /should've done that before

I prefer Unova now actually. I liked Isshu but it just seems weird now. Plus Christmas in Isshu wouldn't have worked that well.

SukoSuNa

Nelson Mac Champ
    Years
  • Uuuunoooovaaaaa!

I really like the name Unova.
    And I didn't really care for Isshu, I never knew if it was pronounced "Is-u", "Is-who" or "Issue".

Also Nova means new. Which is what the whole game is based upon. The new region is said to be very different from all the others.

I don't think its that much of a deal though its not like it makes a difference.

NejiForce

Kh-Fan
    Years
  • I think Isshu is cool I liked it from the begin when I hear the translated names~.~
    (German Einall and US Unova)

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • When it was announced that Isshu would become Unova, many fans had a negative reaction.
    To be honest, every name change, including for every region that has had one no mattr how minor, has had negative reactions from people. I remember the outburst at Sinnoh's for instance - nothing new there. =p

Also I feel something that warrents mention is that Isshu meant 'one variety' or somesuch. Looking at Unova - Uno for one and va for variety! It isn't that random a change at all when you look at it from that perspective.(And that's ignoring the similiarity to United States of America in the name as well, although that's less fitting within Unova itself as the former).

Back