• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Weirdly popular HGSS pokemon

Years
  • Lately Ive been looking at other HGSS teams and Im seeing alot of Heracross and Mareeps. I kind of understand Heracross is an amazing bug type but I still don't get why everyone just has to get one.

-Can someone tell me when did those 2 get so popular or why you love them enough to be on your team?
    -Also what pokemon do you think is getting oddly popular in HGSS?

Dooonerz

@JackDonnellyy
    Years
  • Yeah man, I agree about the mareep idea, it seems like many many people have mareeps/flaffies/ampharos' and i dont really see why. In my opinion there are many other electric pokemon (such as magnemite and electrode?) that easly beat those pokemon

Years
  • Well i can see where your coming from, but the reason is that these pokemon weren't found in other games or were really rare or weren't found till late on in the game.
    But along with your theory i've seen a lot of togikisses (hope i spelt it right :P) around.

Panfisha

BIGGLYPUFF?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2021
    Mareep because they're great to have early on, especially against Falkner. And especially since people used them when they played the original GSC, they want them more.
    And heracross not only cause its super strong, but also cause you can find the consistently, unlike the honey trees in DPPt. I use it cause it learns brick break at lvl 19, which is great for beating whitney.

Teh Blazer

Divider of Zero
    Years
  • When G/S/C came out, Ampharos was my favorite Pokemon and I always made sure to have one on my team. Now, with remakes, I just wanna relive my younger years and get an ampharos, for old times. But Heracross, I dunno, it looks cool.

Stantler seems to be a good Pokemon, but never gets the chance to actually thrive since recently it was hard to find. Now in Hg/Ss, Stantler is relatively much easier to get and to show off its skills.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Yeah, I think it's due to availability.

For example:

Code:
    - Mareep: Only available in Hoenn Safari Zone, post-Elite Four, when it's hard to train. Now available common as much to fight Falkner with for your first badge in Johto!

- Stantler: Like Mareep, only incredibly rare.

- Heracross: Available in LeafGreen, but rare. Even rarer in Sinnoh (yet Barry has that AND Munchlax). Commoner in Johto.

- Remoraid: Fairly easy to find in 3rd Generation, albeit post-E4. Common as muck in Sinnoh. Suddenly rare in Johto, so less common.

- Marill: Common in 3rd Gen. and Sinnoh. Suddenly rare in Johto, so, becomes less used. However, due to being Johto's equivalent to Pikachu, its' value increases and many people also search for it.

At least, that's my opinion. :D

Years
  • It's because they 're relatively easy to get... and Ampharos has both the nostalgia factor and usefulness factor going for it as well. It's much better than Magneton or Electrode because it can both take a hit and isn't quite as slow as molasses, while still being able to dish it out with it's special attack stat.

xxChazxx

It's Been a While
    Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2016
    Heracross and Mareep both became wildly popular for me in G/S/C. I always had a Heracross and a Mareep evolution on my team.

That is, until I found out about Scizor.

Years
  • For me, it's about completing the set. I use Mareep because it seems like a starter pokemonn to me, and since my first playthrough is usually with all 3 starters, it just fit nicely onto that team. As for Heracross, I don't know.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Lol.

I rued the day I evolved my Sunkern in Kanto. I loved kicking ass with the official "weakest pokemon created", by BST.

I tend not to run a generic team because I have fancy tastes.

imevil

Biggest Scyther Fan
    Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2016
    i dont understand the ampharos love. I mean hes good but really. Would me Loving Scyther, Charmeleon and Gengar be wierd at all. I also like Sunkern for some reason. But not as much as those three

empty streets

Ace trainer ★
    Years
  • I use Ampharos as my permanent team member. I prefer faster pokemon, but Amparos is one of the strongest electric types and it has high defenses.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • As for Ampharos, it's for the same reason I use Raichu in Kanto-based games, Manectric in the Hoenn games, and Luxray in the Sinnoh games. They're pretty good, dependable electric-types that you can catch early in the game. :P

As for Heracross, who knows? I've personally never used one in any game ever. Shocking, I know. :o

juxta

3181 0814 1066
    Years
  • Don't get me wrong, the last time i played pokemon was gold and silver.
    And i loved ampharos and heracross. They were just amazing to have back when the choice of pokemon was limited. But i still will always have a steelix or scizor on my team if the game has gold silver or crystal in the name

Years
    • Seen Oct 14, 2014
    I managed to get my hands on a heracross in Diamond, and since thenI loved it.
    so i picked one up in HG.
    Mareep, not a big fan of it, dont know why.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Just wondering, does anybody else use Hitmontop??

Mine was the only thing (apart from Donphan) able to take out one of Red's pokemon, and unlike Donphan vs. Pikachu, Hitmontop wasn't immune to Lapras' and Snorlaxes attacks, but that monster SpD, coupled with decent Defense and Attack, was brilliant. However, I rarely hear mention of it..

Back