• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen What annoyed you the most in R/B/Y

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
Years
  • Replaying Yellow for the first time in at least ten years (and probably more), the limited item storage is probably annoying me more than anything. It's annoying being in the middle of a dungeon and getting "No more room for items!" Especially so when you have nothing that you can really toss without losing something valuable.

Second most annoying thing would probably be the limited movepools of Pokemon. Seriously...look at Scyther's movepool, or Aerodactyl, or Venusaur, etc. Most Pokemon have garbage level up learnsets in RBY, but I've kind of adapted to that and changed my mindset to make better use of my TMs. But for some, like the ones I just named, even TMs don't add much to their options.

DarkDoom3000

Super Pokemon Eevee Edition
    Years
  • Shitty movesets for a lot of pokemon, Psychic having basically no weakness, Item limit, HMs being locked to your pokemon FOREVER.

HyperJono

Fanfic Writer, Pokeshipper, Lover of Pokemon
    Years
  • Things that really annoyed me about Red, Blue and Yellow were
    1. Having to open the menu to use every HM/TM move
    2. Limited item space in bag and pc
    3. Step limit in the safari zone
    4. moves like wrap, bind, fire spin etc

I found them annoying when i first played Pokemon Red as a 6yo and now after 15 years of playing Pokemon they have become even more annoying now that I'm used to the mechanics of the newer games

AliceBlaze

Shiny Collector
    Years
  • - Wrap, Fire Spin, Clamp etc.

- Sleep because of fact that you can't move on the same turn you wake up and your opponent can make you sleep again on that same turn.

- Limited space in the bag and PC. I like how you can put key items in the PC, but some of them are only used once so you're stuck with them throughout the whole game thus taking up space.

-You can't rematch trainers so if you've beat them all but you still need exp, you have to fight wild Pokemon which makes level grinding long and boring.

Years
    • Seen Sep 2, 2016
    Having to carry around something that can learn cut and strength. Wouldn't be so bad if the moves had use in battle but they don't. I usually carry around a slave sandshrew that can learn both so it's not too bad...Cut is pretty pointless lets be honest.

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    - Movement speed. It's SO damn slow. I think this is the worse part about these games. The most irritating thing to me, really. Particularly when I accidentally went the wrong way and have to backtrack.

- Wrap and moves of that nature, as other people have said. I just cannot move and it's so unfair.

- Lack of move deleter... it makes everything feel so permanent and kind of stressful, really. Particularly when teaching HMs.

- Ugly back sprites. Sometimes, my Pokemon just looks like this giant indistinguishable blob that looks nothing like the front sprite. (It's particularly bad in Yellow, where the front sprites are actually good.)

HyperJono

Years
  • Yeah alot of the Gen I back sprites look pretty bad but so do some of the front sprites especially the sprites for exeggcute
    exeggcute-color.png
    and exeggutor
    Spr_1b_103.png

DigitalMewtwo

Somewhere on the digital spectrum
    Years
  • What annoyed me the most in Generation I is the 20-slot single-pocketed Item Bag. I always hated that you'd collect so many items that you'd have to keep going to the PC and deposit unused items, or sell or dispose of them at some point as well, as even the PC item storage was limited in capacity.

Other things I don't like about this generation:
    *The fact that you had to manually switch boxes before the current one became full, and on top of that, having to save every time you did so.
    *Trapping moves making it completely impossible for you to attack, oftentimes sealing your fate if you were slower than your opponent since trainers would constantly spam this move if they had it (especially in the Celadon Gym).

I hated all of those too. The manual switching of boxes was the worst. And trapping moves, hated that.

Add in when moves missed. Swear it happened more often in R, B and Y.

CJoE

スマイルは無料で? ?? �� �� ��
    Years
  • What annoyed me the most is when I almost finish my dex then I was googling on how to obtain Mew which only obtainable using the glitch and after all that hard work, I gave up on that ☆☆☆

Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2019
    The only things I hated were the Bag limit and no move deleter, everything else is fine.

- Movement speed. It's SO damn slow. I think this is the worse part about these games. The most irritating thing to me, really. Particularly when I accidentally went the wrong way and have to backtrack.

- Wrap and moves of that nature, as other people have said. I just cannot move and it's so unfair.

- Lack of move deleter... it makes everything feel so permanent and kind of stressful, really. Particularly when teaching HMs.

- Ugly back sprites. Sometimes, my Pokemon just looks like this giant indistinguishable blob that looks nothing like the front sprite. (It's particularly bad in Yellow, where the front sprites are actually good.)
    The front sprites were changed in the western release while the backsprites were left unchanged from the Japanese version that's why they look nothing alike

Years
    • Seen Jun 7, 2016
    I pretty much agree with many of these grips, but mostly I just hated not being able to use surf or cut or whatever by pressing A on the target object.

Years
  • just gonna echo that item cap... I swear i never had that problem when i played 20 years ago. but my current playthrough of blue it's really killing me! especially since i'm aware TMs aren't reusable in this game so i save them for pkm i'm sure i'm gonna use which takes up a ton of space. and you gotta boot them up to see what they are for.. and many of them are so useless.. whirlwind? teleport? freaking egg bomb? get outa here..

Jetfire

أربعة ملوك السماوية
    Years
  • Paying 500 for Magikaep. 500 is a big deal during the beginning of the game.

HyperJono

Years
  • just gonna echo that item cap... I swear i never had that problem when i played 20 years ago. but my current playthrough of blue it's really killing me! especially since i'm aware TMs aren't reusable in this game so i save them for pkm i'm sure i'm gonna use which takes up a ton of space. and you gotta boot them up to see what they are for.. and many of them are so useless.. whirlwind? teleport? freaking egg bomb? get outa here..

With the TMs and there single use best way to fix that since most of them you can only get one of them you use the mew glitch. Best fix for single use item

Back