• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen What annoyed you the most in R/B/Y

ソラ

Im gonna be the King of the Pirates
Years
  • When I want to use an HM move I gotta go to the menu.
    Also How overpowered psychic type Pokemon are.
    The bag limitations...
    How some Pokeballs can miss Pokemon especially legendaries. Even if they're ultra balls.

COOLTRAINER♂

Speedball 2: Brutal Vanilluxe
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2019
    Misses are just code for a bad attempt against hard-to-catch Pokemon. It's not very clear why which is probably partly why they reprogrammed the whole capturing mechanic in GSC.

Years
    • EU
    • Seen May 31, 2018
    Using the item clone glitch and realizing the master ball was in the wrong spot and you've just cloned a Key item. Rip bag space.

Years
  • Those guys with the Mews.

tumblr_novzwomX2h1us3g8oo1_400.gif
    Really though the trucks with those are the worst.

Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2019
    Bying 50 coins at a time when im going to spend thousands on coins on tms...is there seriously no way around that? It takes forever.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    My biggest annoyance was the bag. It was always filling up, so you found yourself constantly having to sell, store, or toss items. A lot of people don't realize how much of a godsend GSC's bag was in comparison.

Years
    • MA
    • Seen Jun 10, 2016
    Level grinding and the scale being inconsistent
    Flash as a dedicated HM as opposed to TM
    Dragons/Arcanine
    Menu options

Drogan

Master of the Cannons
    Years
  • The thing that annoyed me the most is the thing that usually annoyed me early on in a Pokemon game. Confuse Ray and Supersonic. For some reason, those attacks tend to always hit. Next to that would be an early game trainer with Jigglypuff or Clefairy.

One more thing, catching rare Pokemon at the Safari Zone. How can I miss Tauros, but manage to easily catch 3 Kangaskhan in a row?

Last edited:

Blueredemption

Never stop exploring!
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Oct 16, 2023
    Wrap is really annoying in R/B/Y, lost some battles due to that ;l

Now I have only been able to play Blue version for a little while, and because of this I am not used to the way party sprites worked back then. I was shocked when some of my Pokemon looked the same in the menu... It messed with my in battle switches more than a few times.

Flower

✿ flower keeper ✿
    Years
  • Lance's Dragonite. Brock's Onix... those darn things with their Wrap. Ugggh. >__< I didn't really like some sprites either, for example somehow Game Freak messed up Koffing's sprite, a lot of the Green sprites were wonky... etc. A lot of sprites from Green and others are really nice, yeah, but... Mew... Koffing... Mr. Mime... ehhh.

I was also irked going back to play the games after having not for a long time, that there aren't any kind of Running Shoes, and it's awfully slow up until the time you get the bicycle. ;_; It doesn't make the game unplayable for me, and it's understandable that the games didn't have them since they were the first games (I do believe GSC didn't have the Running Shoes either), bluh. They're still amazing games though. ♥

Dracowyn

Hell's Traffic Accident
    Years
  • Wrap, definitely wrap.

When fury attack/fury swipes/doubleslap/etc get a crit, every single attack within that turn gets the crit bonus. Not fun if you're the reciever.

Also having no way to rebattle trainers and the only way to get some decent exp after you beat everyone is doing the league over and over again.

Eldaryon

Now the secret final Boss of every game you know.
    Years
  • The only thing that annoys me to now is the XP problem you get late in your save, and wrap type moves, these were cancer.

NoMoreStars

Trying
    Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    First, the small bag size. Sometimes I felt like I was spending more time juggling items in my bag and PC than actually playing the game, especially when it comes to TMs. Like, I would get a nice and shiny TM and go to store it in my PC, but oh no! The PC is full! Oh boy...

Second are moves like Wrap and Clamp. While they don't do a lot of damage, especially on physically bulky 'mons, they unnecessarily prolong battles.

Third is the lack of a post-game or trainers stronger than the Elite Four. I'm the kind of person who likes to train their whole team up to level 100 after beating the bulk of the main game. I COULD do it on Gen 1, but wow would it take a lot of time and patience.

Fourth (and this is exclusive to Yellow), I hate how the Meowth, Ekans, and Koffing lines aren't in the game. I mean, I kinda understand why, those are all the Pokemon the Rocket Trio have and it would be kinda wierd to have the same Pokemon as them, but it's just so unnecessary, especially because I really like Meowth.

Fifth and lastly, the Exp. All. I am SO glad the Exp. Share works the way it does in future generations, because the Exp. All is just such an awful item, dividing exp. among all team members until the exp. adds up to basically nothing. I mean, it sounded cool at first, and I spent a lot of time catching a lot of Pokemon, only to learn that the Exp. All is essentially a throw away item and not even worth picking up and WASTING BAG SPACE.

Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2021
    I know this is a very minor complaint, but it always drove me mad how clunky the menu navigation was with your Pokemon. You had to press A to go from their stats to their moves. Then pressing A again kicked you out to your team menu. And you couldn't just push up or down to quickly rotate to other 'Mons on your team. You instead had to go from stats to moves to the team menu again, then select the next Pokemon.

Makes me salty.

Back