• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen What changes would you make in HG/SS

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
    If you were in charge of the company, before the games are released to the public, what changes would you make? (if any :P)

If it were up to me I would put in the option to turn off your pokemon following you. :]

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 19, 2021
    Attack animations.

I hate how Nintendo had to copy the animations from Platinum(no, not D/P) and couldn't just make their own animations for the game.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
    Not sure if you get this later, but the features from D/P/PL's PokeGear thing would be nice (where you can check PokeHistory, how much your Pokemon likes you, the time, if your Pokemon laid an egg, etc.) Sure, it wasn't in the original G/S/C series, but it'd have been nice. I'd have put it anyway.

Ellie

Sweet Punch!
    Years
    I agree. I wish HGSS had more of its own animations, too. At least they changed Hyper Beam, Thunder, and Psychic.

I would give HGSS another battle facility or two that wasn't in Platinum. I already have Platinum and beat three of the facilities.

Well, that's so that Pt and HgSs have compatibility to share the BF information and stuff.

If I could make changes, I'd do what the TC said and turn off the Pokemon following option, and I'd change the Frontier so it appeared on the same island as DPPt, since having the exact same people in 2 different locations doesn't really make sense. I'd also have the Sevii Islands accessible, include Blue and Kris in the game, and a whole bunch of other stuff =P

Years
    Make the Hoenn and Sinnoh Leaders, mabye the other E4 champs and such battleable, but with some stuff changed (in logical terms, they would replace some other trainers to make room in the game, it being approx 122 MP, 6 MP isn't much extra to work with) and they would have some restrictions seeing how it wouldn't be their time at the Indigo Plateau (i.e. Cynthia may still have a Togetic) just small cameo battles, not all out remakes, but the general idea of pre-R/S/E/D/P/Pt.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
    I'd lower the encounter rate chance, actually. Without intimidate, you encounter a Pokemon every like 3 steps >:| and with Intimidate in spot one, it's about five - still really high and really annoying, especially if you're poor. Not exactly easy to make cash for a while, too, since you can't rebattle trainers whenever you want for $$$ ><

I'd also change the female sprite; I'd make it classier and she'd be blonde. I've always wanted a blonde female starter >:| but they always put brown or unrealistic colours like blue (which is supposed to be black?)

When do we get a blonde one! I'd like to play with my hair colour lol /sob

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
    For me I'll be same about the keeping or releasing Pokemons out to follow you, but with the option of your Pokemon, you can choose which one to follow you instead of having to have the FIRST one following.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
    I agree. No more brunettes or blunettes. We need a blond playable character. Same with red hair. The girl in Colusseum doesn't count because we can't play as her. I want to play as a red headed female for once in Pokemon. (The writers just had to take out Misty out of the anime. I liked having someone in the anime that looked like me. :( I couldn't even enjoy watching those episodes because my stupid neighbors had too many lights at Christmas time and the power kept going out making me miss months worth of episodes and KidsWB just had to keep changing the time the episodes went on. I didn't get to watch the anime again until 7th grade. (I started watching in fourth grade, but I missed nearly two years of episodes.) I was able to watch again once Ash was in Ecruteak City.

Even though I'd rather play as a red head in Johto, I'm glad Kotone isn't a red head, because many people dislike her for "replacing" Kris or for "looking like Mario."

lols someone should hack Emerald and use the Harvest Moon girl sprite; she's blonde and it's the same style :PPP just hafta edit her a little and make her smaller lol!

Brendonwii

Gooby pls
    Years
    Mine would be also the battle animations and the 252-493 sprites all the same a bit of a let down.
    Also they should of made the game a little bit harder. :/

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
    I'd change the Battle Frontier Brains to different people with different Pokemon (if possible, an actual change of facilities would be nice). I'd also make the "Compe Ball" colored like the Park Ball in the anime (the green version that has a design resembling a butterfly/moth on it). The fact that the Compe Ball is now a normal Poke Ball with a Poke Ball symbol on it irks the heck out of me - it seems so redundant.

Also, I'd switch in Leaf for Red if the player character was Kotone - it sucks that only Red gets to be in HGSS when he has a counterpart that's missing.

I'd add in a Fame Checker, so I can see the updated 'battle' sprites of more people like Daisy and Bill.

Lastly, I'd add the Sevii Islands in there (to see what has changed and how Lorelei and Agatha are doing), plus Seals and Ball Capsules to be used for in-battle eye candy, since the Apricorn Balls don't have a stylish entry.

The great thing is that the American versions of HGSS can still have changes to them from the Japanese versions. It's happened with the Trainer Hill in Emerald and the Emerald Battle Tower 'Apprentice'. Here's hoping... :)

EDIT: And let's get a Kris cameo! Professor Elm's assistant, tag battle, something! She wasn't in Crystal for nothing...

Last edited:

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
    Here's hoping the female sprite is changed to a blonde!

... I know that's not going to happen... /sad

Here's a question, though: what're they going to do now? Reproduce every game or throw 150 new Pokemon into the bunch? It's getting kinda lame.

If I could make the best change to HGSS... you know what I would do (other than changing the sprite to a blonde?)

I'd make it for the Nintendo Wii HD with stunning graphics (like Twilight Princess or Resident Evil).

Now how awesome would that be! We need something like that lol Why haven't they done that yet? It'd be so easy... and you could play it in mini-DS version, too, but if you stick your card into the Wii, you'd get the stunning Resident Evil graphics version.

Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2016
    I would of got rid of the 3-D graphics nonsense and go back to plain 2-D, that's the reason why I truly don't like Gen IV, make it so you get the GB Player earlier, and make a better sprite for Arcanine.
    What changes would you make in HG/SS

That's unexceptional

Years
    I'm definitely on the bandwagon with all of the people who dislike Kotone's appearance; if I were her mother, I wouldn't be sending someone who looks like a pre-schooler off to conflict angry bikers. >.>

I wish they would've made her at least more loyal to Kris in Crystal. But ah, well, I can dare to dream...of showing up at Gamefreak Headquarters while brandishing a couple thousand rolls of toilet paper...

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
    I would of got rid of the 3-D graphics nonsense and go back to plain 2-D, that's the reason why I truly don't like Gen IV

I really like the 3D they used in HGSS. It's 100x better than Pearl lol The colours are vivid; my only complaint is that Ecruteak seems really empty and the house there is over-used. Meh.

Maybe make some more NPC SPRITES? I see the same sprite next to each other all of the time and it's stupid lol Bikers can have the same sprite but for citizens of towns... c'mon... are they all quintuplits or something?

Harumi Fujyoshi

Ichiban fujyoshi desu!
    Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2015
    I don't have that many complaints but they really should let Kris make an appearance in the game.
    It feels empty without her D:

Blazing Charmander

The Stray Pokemon
    Years
    If no third game to HGSS is ever made (not delving into that), then these are the changes I would make to the games so that they're the perfect Johto games:

- Make Kotone either resemble Kris a little more, or keep Kris in rather than replace her.
    - Give Mt. Moon its BGM back (from what i've seen from clips, it now has the Ruins of Alph BGM).
    - Have a 'RECALL' option for following Pokemon. It's clear that some people prefer travelling without the company of their Pokemon so it would've at least been nice if we had that option.
    - Leaf cameo/battle. It would've been cool for Leaf to get some form of canonical existence in the games that gives her a status on par with Red who's a former/wandering Champion. For example, she could have been a Frontier Brain in what I think should've been Johto's own unique Battle Frontier. Which leads me onto my next point...
    - A brand new Battle Frontier. I have yet to challenge anything on Platinum but the Battle Factory, but seeing that HG/SS has had Platinum's frontier more-or-less copy-pasted over makes the games feel a little... incomplete in my opinion.
    - Completely refurbish the Gym Leader teams, particularly the Johto ones. It's depressing how this was one of the major gripes fans had with G/S/C, but the teams were largely kept the same. However, I have heard that the Gen IV mechanics and movesets make the battles far more challenging, so that I am looking forward to. :)
    - Restore the Crystal encounter habitats (e.g. Hoppip on Route 29, Poliwag on Route 30/31, Phanpy on Route 46, Teddiursa in Dark Cave, Growlithe before the Violet Gym on Route 36).

Of course, having not played either game yet I haven't formulated a full opinion about them, but from the coverage on the internet that i've paid a lot of attention to, these are some of the things i'd like to fix in HG/SS.

Years
    • Seen Sep 12, 2016
    - Brand new Battle Frontier
    - Fix Johto-dex (take out some unrelated Pokemon to Johto like: Charmander etc..., I know some Gen IV Pokemon are included, but Magmortar and some Gen IV Pokemon should be included as well + Wynaut and Azurill)
    - Some place like Slowpoke Well losed their BGM, it should be restore back....
    - Enchance the plot in Kanto.
    - Seperate Elite Four for Kanto and Johto. (Johto can have their own build on Mt. Silver, and the cave of Mt. Silver can act as Victory Road).
    - In D/P/T, the BGM varies between Day and Night, Hg/Ss should also have this feature as well.
    - Pokemon Super Contest: well just my personal favorite! [=
    - Weather should be random each day like Sunny/Rainy/Snow... But NOT Sandstorm/Fog
    - Option to choose if you want your Pokemon to follow you around.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Insert Emerald's Frontier, and screw Platinum compatibility.
    Stronger Elite 4.
    Blue and Kris.(I dunno, double battle in the bottom of Mt.Silver?)
    Either get rid of Gliscor,Mantyke etc. or add them all, specially Azurill and Marill.
    Make Zangoose more easily available.

Back