• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen What did you name your Pokemon, your rival and yourself?2.0!

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
  • Basically the previous thread grew old, dusty and rotten, so here's a brand new thread to discuss what you called your Pokemon, your rival and yourself in the fourth generation games as a collective bunch! (DPPt and HGSS)

In my diamond savefile I called my rival Lucas, as irl that's the name of one of my best mates, myself Nathan, again, that being my irl name and I didn't nickname my pokemon. Similarly to Diamond, I didn't nickname any of my pokemon in HGSS; My own name remained unchanged but my rival changed from Lucas, to Silver, since the name Lucas just didn't fit with Silver's personality and design so I just went with his general name. c:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    In Pearl and Platinum I can't remember if I named the rival Jun or Jyun (either way they're pronounced the same), because I looked at him and thought "yeah he looks like a 'Jun.'" Imagine my surprise when I later checked online and discovered his default Japanese name is the same!
    I also named my Pokemon after whatever I thought suited them! Sometimes they are real names ("Danny" for Luxray), sometimes they'd be more descriptive ("Cosmos" for Palkia). This is what I do for most of my games.

In SoulSilver I named my rival Silver, and I named my Pokemon after whatever I had named them in Crystal--regardless of how bad they were (and thus marks the return of Bull the Tauros). I wanted to feel like I was playing Crystal again, so I tried making everything as similar as possible (and suddenly, Draco Meteor Jirachi).

And I always name the player character after myself. I honestly don't see a reason as to why not (for myself, at least).

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I named myself as my real name (Matthew) and my rival as Barry, Jun and Jaden on different save files.

Zephele

✧ leave it to me!
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2013
    For Pearl and HeartGold, I named the protagonist either my own name or the default name; more often than not, I use my own name. And because I lack creativity, I named my rival Barry and Silver respectively.

As for my Pokemon, I hadn't started nicknaming them yet when I played through Pearl. Though I did have a Garchomp named Chompy. When I got to HeartGold, I used random names that I thought suited the Pokemon.

After my first playthrough, though, I stuck to 'themed' names. So far, I've had: names of characters from the Ace Attorney series, names starting with the first six letters of the alphabet (lame, I know. I ran out of ideas) and names using the zodiac signs.

PaxAmericana

Resident Peacekeeper
    Years
  • For HG/SS, or any other game for that matter, I usually name myself my real name, Aaron.

For the rival in HG/SS, most of the time I will name him Silver, which I am fairly certain is his official name.

I don't, however, nickname my Pokemon.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • For Platinum:

I named my character "Lisa" and the rival "Terry".
    My Pokemon:
    Empoleon - "Richter"
    Jolteon - "Victor"
    Crobat - "Ashley"
    Dusknoir - "Shari"
    Flygon - "Kimberly"
    Persian - "Lisa" (yeah, same as my trainer, but...)

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    I named my character Seth, my rival Chazz, my Infernape Hades, and my Palkia GringoKiller (GrngoKllr) on my previous run in Platinum.

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
    Years
  • (Seriously, Curious, enough the posts, half of the 4th Gen Forum is filled with stuff from you... -.-)

Anyway, As I always have...

Me: Tim (My real name)
    Rival: Always Ben (based on the trouble I had with the NPC "Ben" in the card game Hearts back when I had no internet.)
    POKeMON: Never nicked name them.

Haseyo

쏘쿨
    Years
  • I usually name my rival after a friend, so every time I win I can say "Hey _____, I just owned you again!"

Since I restart my files often it really doesn't matter. At least in B2/W2 you can still talk / battle your rival daily so the name can be more...useful, rather than "that guy / girl you bump into every so often until E4."

I name myself either Sheed (adding as many E's as possible, since people love to stress that when saying my nickname) or Haseyo.

Last edited:

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
    Years
  • I can't exactly remember what I named my character but I named my rival Billy, lol idk why and I named my first Pokemon Hydro and it was Piplup.

Skillah

Pokemon Fan since 2001.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2022
    Lets see.

in D/p I named myself Alex and my Rival Wil. (Because my bestfriend at the time was Wil. :P)

In Soulsilver I named myself Carlos (I thought it was funny xD)

And I named my Rival Alfonzo. Because that name still cracks me up.

Years
  • My name in both HG and Platinum was my real name (Brendan).

I named my rival Silver in HG.

Some Pokemon names off the top of my head:
    Scizeaux (Scizor - Pt)
    Czar (Empoleon - Pt)
    Geada (Froslass - HG)
    Mila (Ninetales - Pt)
    Azure (Azumarill - Pt)
    Scarhino (Heracross - HG)
    Nordique (Wailord - HG)

Years
  • In SoulSilver,I named my character Lyra because I was to lazy to think of a name. XD I named my rival Eddie,after my friend who always got everything I wanted before I did. Stupid Eddie. And I named my Chikorita Baron. I wanted to get a girl so that I could name it Bailey.

Years
    • Seen Aug 1, 2012
    I named my character in both Diamond and Pearl C-Dub (big surprise there) and my rival Seth, because he looked like a boy I used to be friends with named Seth.
    I rarely nickname my pokemon, unless I have multiples of them. I bred two pikachus together and I swear they made an egg every five minutes, so I named the babies Chuchu, Spark, etc.

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2012
    I always name myself Dominic. 4th Gen games were no exception! I keep the rival names as they should be: Barry and Silver. I don't nickname Pokémon, ever.

Pinta77

On diamond, i named me "Evan", my pokemon "bad egg", and my rival "wally." I thought it was wally from r/s at first :x

Back