• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What do you like/not like in a username?

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
    I don't really like user-names with countless numbers in them nor do I prefer extremely long ones that has been squeezed into one word.

Some of them, I can tolerate, but others tick me off.

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
    I like short, simple ones. Humourous ones can be ok but then everyone has different definitions of what humour is, so that's one that's open to debate.

As has been mentioned, numbers/symbols etc are ok as long as they're not excessive. But meh, usernames honestly don't annoy me all that much as I don't read into them really.

I don't like mine much, and it will be changed to something else at the earliest opportunity (Next month, I believe).

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
    I don't like numbers in most of them... ESPECIALLY ones with their Diamond and Pearl friend code in them (I mean SERIOUSLY).

"Strange" characters in a name are fine by me, as long as they don't over do it.

I also hate people who overuse decoration characters like x\\!!!~*~*~*~PRETTY POKEMON MASTER~*~*~*~!!!//x

And people who desperately try to think of a cool name like FIRE SNOW PSYCHIC EON MASTER

Some that have a reference to Pokemon are pretty bad. I don't like Pokemon Master [insert crappy name here]. MILLIP!

ALL CAPS and a l l s p a c e d o u t and aLtErNaTiNg CaSeS are annoying to me.

And any username that was thought of by me. They all suck.

/done lol

Stunky

Ew a furry. Kill it.
    Years
    I don't like numbers in most of them... ESPECIALLY ones with their Diamond and Pearl friend code in them (I mean SERIOUSLY).

"Strange" characters in a name are fine by me, as long as they don't over do it.

I also hate people who overuse decoration characters like x\\!!!~*~*~*~PRETTY POKEMON MASTER~*~*~*~!!!//x

And people who desperately try to think of a cool name like FIRE SNOW PSYCHIC EON MASTER

Some that have a reference to Pokemon are pretty bad. I don't like Pokemon Master [insert crappy name here]. MILLIP!

ALL CAPS and a l l s p a c e d o u t and aLtErNaTiNg CaSeS are annoying to me.

And any username that was thought of by me. They all suck.

/done lol
    I agree with this post.

Also, readable words are nice. No one knows how to pronounce Xmmmagyo or something like that.

Years
    • Seen May 24, 2009
    I hate when people just steal names from other people who have already existed. Just who do they think they are anyway?

Shem

Bored...
    Years
    Well, for my own names, i refuse to have numbers. I'll just as soon not sign up than have a number in my username!

But I don't mind it in other peoples, what really bugs me, is when people just slam their fingers in into the keyboard (like this augfsulfhwthp;aseghiwu) and use that garbage as their username, granted, you don't see that too often.

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
    I'm not too fond of unnecessary numbers or when people use those weird letters to spell out their usernames. Good luck logging in.

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    I'm not too fond of unnecessary numbers or when people use those weird letters to spell out their usernames. Good luck logging in.

It's because we the people of the weird characters have Alt and our Keypads. Best friends like Ketchup and Fries :3.

Anyways. What makes a name good? It is good if:

• It is a word unheard off
    • It is pronounceable in many ways
    • It matches personality of the user.
    • The name is owned by someone from the staff.
    • It simply looks good but meets none of the criteria above.

An username is NOT good when:

• It uses a number in representation that the name is taken
    • The casing is WTF
    • If it has too many words
    • If it's so long it breaks the legacy style border
    • If it has ANYTHING to do at all with a Pokemon (I'm looking at you, Lucario), unless it looks good.
    • It is similar to a name an awesome member had.
    • Or in a special case when it just looks bad without the above criteria, those are rare and actually depend on the person

Amaruuk

[span="letter-spacing: -2px;"][b]└──[/b]►[/span]TY
    Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    Things I do like in a username:
    • It's simple and to the point
    • It's pronounceable
    • It could possibly make sense as an actual name
    • If it's kinda long, it can at least be shortened for a nickname

Things I don't like in a username:
    • Fancypants s p a c i n g
    • Underscores_instead_of_spaces
    • ɭϙϙƙ ɧϙῳ əʌɪʇɐəɹɔ ȶɧɨȿ ɨȿ!

Her

Years
    • Seen today
    I hate when people just steal names from other people who have already existed. Just who do they think they are anyway?

I think of myself as a lovely person, thank you.

As for me, exceedingly long usernames are really annoying. But, if they're somewhat good, I can make an exception.

Aurafire

provider of cake
    Years
    If it has the word "pokemon" or the preface "poke" in front of something and any combination of numbers, chances are I hate it. =/

Also, those ones with the weird characters or *~(username)~* are kind of annoying. Other than that, not many usernames bother me.

Charliezard

A wild shroomish appeared!
    Years
    I don't like them strange symbols that are ment to look cool? Also, any username that you can tell is ment to look cool but just isn't...
    I do like a bit of humour...Cuz I like to laugh and all. As long as it's funny or cool it's fine. Most usernames are just eh, not good but not bad :P

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011

Especially those based on 19th centuary Oprah Composers ;]

I really dislike some of the usernames that end in "Sama" "Chan" "kun" etc, dunno why, I guess it just kinda irks me off.

Years
    Y'see, if your username is like "Pokemon12" I'll be okay witht that, but if it's like..."Pokemon18437875," it's kinda confusing and makes my head hurt. ^^;
    If it's like "Pokemon12000000," I'll be okay with that too.

Honest

Hi!
    Years
    I hate ones that are a sentence as well "piplupisbetterthenchimcharandtutwig" For real....its real annoying.

Another thing I realized is that members that's name start with a capital are usually people who stay here. Lower-case, there probably here for Shiny Gold. xD

Magician Of Ice

Berry & Contest Master @-,-'--
    Years
    Only pet peeve I have with names is a bazillion numbers. TruePokeFan, FanOfZePokez, PokeFanNumeroUno, Fan2URPokes, I don't care how the frig it's spelled, but if it's PokeFan1649376593 or 2654834634FanOfZePokes6392374593 it messes with the ocd -.-() .

Back