• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen What do you think of Game Chat?

jessluvstolaugh

Video game maniac
Years
  • Game chat can be helpful so that you can actually communicate with the person you are trading with. (Instead of naming your pokemon YES, NO, SORRY, or THANKS) But I don't like to use it because I have had a lot of... bad experiences. Since I am a female, I get a lot of creepy weirdos trying to flirt with me through the game chat (get a life, mkay? lol) And, not unlike xbox live, people can be pretty rude, annoying and arrogant lol. But I don't mind game chats con mis amigos lol. What do you think of Game Chat?

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    I turn it off before I ever start my journey. When I want to trade or battle someone, but then the GameChat window shows up, I'll NOPE and let them send the trade/battle request.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    Back when Game Chat was first introduced in Gen IV games, I've heard weird things such as 'throw out the trash can' or something like that. {XD}

Nowadays, I don't have the Game Chat, I would expect the other trades to do the same as well for the sake of both parties' privacy. :)

Years
  • Game chat can be helpful so that you can actually communicate with the person you are trading with. (Instead of naming your pokemon YES, NO, SORRY, or THANKS) But I don't like to use it because I have had a lot of... bad experiences. Since I am a female, I get a lot of creepy weirdos trying to flirt with me through the game chat (get a life, mkay? lol) And, not unlike xbox live, people can be pretty rude, annoying and arrogant lol. But I don't mind game chats con mis amigos lol. What do you think of Game Chat?

I think its a feature that has no real use. Yeah of course it becomes bothersome having to name Pokemon specific answers but its better then having to warn off a creep. It was just over all a bad function and could be taken out for something that's more of use to players. I've maybe used it once or twice when X/Y first came out but it was because it was getting too frustrating when the other person didn't understand what I was trying to say. All I can say is it was nothing but awkward for me and the other person. Gamefreak is constantly trying to invent new ways to make kids communicate better with each other but game chat was an overall disaster. I personally don't think allowing someone to speak to someone else they don't know that's all the way across the world was the best way to go about it. I mean allowing to kids to talk to people over Wifi during heat of battle like Xbox Live is one thing but kids making complete conversations with the other person during trading is a whole other thing. It should have been a PM system instead if they were going to test those waters.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
    Years
  • I used it once and then turned it off. I just don't want to chat with strangers. I arrange all my trades in advance anyway.

jessluvstolaugh

Video game maniac
    Years
  • I turn it off before I ever start my journey. When I want to trade or battle someone, but then the GameChat window shows up, I'll NOPE and let them send the trade/battle request.

Well yeah I do that too but on some occasions, the other person would keep declining my offer and sending me more requests. Even after I make a comment like: "NO GAMECHAT" they keep trying! Then at that point I just turn off the wi-fi lol

Years
    • Age 31
    • He/Him
    • Ohio
    • Seen Dec 12, 2020
    I think it could have its uses. But when it comes to 99.99% of my trades and battles they are all pre-planned. And if I really want to talk to some of my close friends I play with I just talk to them on Skype anyways haha.

KillerTyphlosion

Champion
    Years
  • Well I would rather have something like a normal chat where you type things than a voice chat. Trying to get pokémon you want when someone is randomly trading you is irritating and most people don't like the voice chat so a messenger like feature would totally rock.

Years
  • Tried it once. Was trading with some kid (couldn't have been more than 13). He could clearly tell by my voice that I was much older. He asked me my age and I replied truthfully (24). He then asked, "Aren't you a little old to be playing Pokemon?" I gave my short answer of "Yeah, I suppose, but I like Pokemon." After that trade I immediately disabled Game Chat. That was just a little too weird for me. I mean I know Pokemon is a technically marketed towards kids, but it has A LOT of adult players too.
    Any ways I prefer setting up trades online and not just picking some random passerby. It's quicker that way. And all I gotta do is type, no talking involved. Quick, clean, & painless.

oshimas

소중한 이 내 맘 모두 나 그대에게
    Years
  • Being female, game chat isn't exactly safe. Lots of really thirsty dudes and whiny kids. I've had many experiences with sexism, from being told to "go back to the kitchen" to having people claim they own me. Voice chat is a toxic thing for women, at least with randoms.

omg. That's horrible. I didn't know that there were guys like that being sexists out there still.
    The first thing I do with any new game is turn off game chat, since I don't see the point of it at all and I usually set up trades or battle online. Typing is much more easier and there's still that bit of privacy on each person's end too.

Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2022
    Well I would rather have something like a normal chat where you type things than a voice chat. Trying to get pokémon you want when someone is randomly trading you is irritating and most people don't like the voice chat so a messenger like feature would totally rock.

Yeah, I reckon a bog-standard Skype/Facebook Messenger type chat would be so much more worthwhile. Game chat just feels really creepy somehow!!

Maybe only allow Game Chat for people you actually have registered as a friend?

SkittyScatty

SkittyScatty
    Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2015
    The idea of game chat is cool but since this is a game that is targeted to a younger audience I don't think it is appropriate. I am glad they let you choose if you want to use it or not. I personally don't use it but if people like it then they should definitely go for it!

jessluvstolaugh

Video game maniac
    Years
  • Being female, game chat isn't exactly safe. Lots of really thirsty dudes and whiny kids. I've had many experiences with sexism, from being told to "go back to the kitchen" to having people claim they own me. Voice chat is a toxic thing for women, at least with randoms.

Yeah, ditto. Just as I was saying before, there are a lot of perverted/mean people out there.

Back