• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What does it take to be a Pokemon Master?

Eight.Bit

May
Years
  • Okay so I've played many, many pokemon games over the years of my life. I've completed pokedexes, caught many legendaries, tons of stuff. I have tons of merchandise too including stuffed animals and drawings and posters.
    This forum makes me depressed though, because these people know so much about everything. Like every single freaking height and type and eye color and they have trillions of Pokemon and shinies and they're involved in groups... it just makes me feel bad and now I must ask, what makes someone a Pokemon master? Do you HAVE to be that good, or am I good enough already? Because these people are so determined, omfg... -_-

Black-Tigress

Exclusive Shiny Hunter
    Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2017
    Just do what you love, and feel satisfied with your accomplishments when it comes to Pokemon..That way, you'll always be a Pokemon Master - deep in your heart...

...so sorry for the sappiness..lol..
    See me, I've caught at least One shiny..I can now die in peace (hopefully not anytime soon..) knowing that I've finally caught a different, rare colored Pokemon..I feel accomplished enough to call myself a Pokemon "Master". Many other people will probably disagree (like, 99% of em..), but I don't! ..sorta.

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    In my group of friends, being a "Pokemon Master" means being unbeatable on the original Nintendo 64 "Pokemon Stadium".

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Aside from what has been mentioned above, I believe Pokémon Master is also some sort of a self-proclaimed title based on your accomplishments, and whether if you're satisfied with them and whatnot. I could be wrong, but I hope I'm not!

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2020
    In my opinion, Pokemon Master is someone who has a great knowledge and understanding of each of their pokemon's capabilities and limits. And are able to execute their strength to the fullest potential. And also an understanding of your opponent's pokemon. also showing confident in a battle, knowing what to do against your opponent's team and a pokemon master does not get discouraged from mistakes or defeats. They aim high and go far.

Margaery Tyrell

Growing Strong
    Years
  • You're a Pokémon Master if you believe you are! Regardless of skill or veteran years, what matters is your heart. :3

Lmao, that's the sappy, but still truthful answer. There aren't really any Pokémon Masters, but I think its up to you to determine whether or not you deserve the title.

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
  • I believe a Pokémon master is someone who has been able to get the most out of their Pokémon's potential and earns their respect and trust while being a very successful trainer as well, most likely a champion of their respective league.

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
    Years
  • Befriending all kinds of Pokemon!

Meeting all kinds of Trainers around the world!

Filling at least the Regional Dex! (Cause lets face it it's next to impossible to get a Mew these days.)

Guiding your trusted companions to victory!

And most importantly.... Having fun!

That's what makes a Pokemon Master. :)

Years
    • Seen Jul 4, 2015
    Someone who has a mega-arceus, and already created a multiverse.

Nah. Pokemon Masters are just fairytales.

Years
  • At least as far as the Pokemon universe is concerned (the hypothetical one, not the one we play in the games), I've always assumed that being a Pokemon Master was an unattainable goal, as one of the requirements was to catch at least one of every single type of Pokemon. Seeing as how there are many legendaries that have never been caught, I don't think anyone in that world can lay claim to the title of Pokemon Master.

If we're going by the games' standard, I would say that you become a Pokemon Master once you've completed the National Dex, and become the Pokemon League Champion. With the advent of things like the GTS and wireless trading, it's a lot easier to become a Pokemon Master than it was in a game like Emerald, but doing both of those things is still a grand feat compared to everyone else you come across, so I think it's only fair that you're considered a Pokemon Master after completing them.

Splash

But nothing happened.
    Years
  • The first step of being a pokemon master is accomplished by winning in the E4 using only a magikarp..
    What does it take to be a Pokemon Master?

Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2022
    IMO. A Pokemon isn't some career or something like what the character Ash thinks. A Pokemon Master is a Pokemon Trainer that has great knowledge of Pokemon. They have love for their Pokemon. They have great experience when it comes to Pokemon Battling. Many years of experience. Put those together and you have a Pokemon Master.

In the real world we are all Pokemon Masters. Since were not in the games or anime. That logic doesn't apply. lol

Colorado290

Lazy Grump
    Years
    • Seen Oct 27, 2015
    It just depends on your text book definition of a Pokemon Master, and there are a few different definitions depending on your media of Pokemon. Some media claim that being a gym leader is being a Pokemon Master, some claim being a Champion (which kind of makes more sense to me) makes you one. Then there's the standard catching all 700+ Pokemon and completing the Pokedex.

I'd like to think that, in game, you are already a Pokemon Master. Think about it, many trainers will claim that they're shocked just how fast your starter and you have bonded, or your skill with a Pokemon. Even Champions who have trained for years will somehow fall to a kid who just got his/her Pokemon 2 days ago.

For this, I'd like to look at the original Pokemon theme song: "To catch them is my real test; to train them is my cause."

So, our protagonist has some gift with Pokemon that apparently is rare within that world, imo anyway. How else could we tame the likes of Mewtwo and Arceus and not have them destroy the world?

Years
    • Seen Jul 4, 2015
    For the anime we know that:
    - qualifying to (all known) leagues is not enough
    - gainig all badges of a region has nothing to do with the title
    - it is distinct from being a trainer
    - it is distinct from being Elite Four
    - it is distinct from being a Pokemon Champion
    - it must have to do something with winning a major pokemon league (qualifying with 8 badges)
    - it somehow must be a more privileged title than winning the Battle Frontier
    - it evidently has nothing to do with catching all pokemons, as Ash barely catches 6 per region
    ---------
    And of course there is the (thick) chance Ash has Dawn-syndrome and the title is just a myth.
    ---------
    In "A Trainer and Child Reunion" Ash states he'll become a master by winning a league, and becoming an Elite Four would even top his dream.

Last edited:

Splash

But nothing happened.
    Years
  • You also need to be the very best like no one ever was. Catching will be your real test.. And to train them is your cause.. You need to travel across the lands searching far and wide.. You need to understand the Pokemon and the power that's inside.. In short you gotta catch'em all..

Stealthfire

Steel-Type Master
    Years
  • I think being a Pokemon master is completely dependent upon what your definition of a Pokemon master is. For me, if I can use my favourite Pokemon and I know I am able to bring out and effectively utilize their strengths, that is good enough. That being said, I volunteer at a children's programme a few afternoons a week. Recently, I met a few kids that were playing Pokemon, comparing their Mudkips and Charmanders and how many badges they had. I gave them some rare Pokemon and a few Beldum I had recently hatched - I breed Beldum a lot, as my favourite Pokemon is Metagross, and, well, more Beldum lead to more Metagross. Anyway, I gave these kids a couple Beldum and showed them my Shiny and Legendary collection, and, to them, I was really a Pokemon master. Taking that into account, it is all relative. A 'newbie' player to more hardened trainers might be a 'master' in reference to others, and someone with a few Beldum to toss around might be a 'master' to a bunch of kids.
    I really have to agree with what others have said on this thread so far - being a Pokemon master is about knowing your Pokemon and knowing how to win - and how to lose - and, of course, knowing how to be the very best. Which, admittedly, is not very hard to do in these games.

Years
    • Seen Jul 4, 2015
    I think being a Pokemon master is completely dependent upon what your definition of a Pokemon master is.

Than I define PM is if you have your starter pokemon.
    20 years of anime was a waste, as in S01E01 Ash fullfilled his dream.

Migit78

Pokemon Master
    Years
  • Filling at least the Regional Dex! (Cause lets face it it's next to impossible to get a Mew these days.)

National Dex always! :P
    Mew isn't that rare, espicially on sites like this.
    Or you can catch it in the original Red/Blue games. It's tricky and a bug, but its doable
    (he's level 7)

Back