• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What generation of Pokemon did you start with?

What generation of Pokemon did you start with?

• Generation 1 (Red/Blue/Yellow)

Votes: 24 58.5%
  • Generation 2 (Gold/Silver/Crystal)

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Generation 3 (Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald/FR/LG)

Votes: 12 29.3%
  • Generation 4 (Diamond/Pearl/Platinum/HG/SS)

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Generation 5 (Black/White/Black2/White2)

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Generation 6 (X/Y/ORAS)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Haven't ever played one of the main series games

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Years
    • Seen Oct 7, 2014
    Pokemon Sapphire was my first Pokemon game :) I eventually went backwards to play part of Yellow and all of Gold and Crystal.

I take it you are not as old as I am then haha.
    Are you enjoying the older games?
    I know the graphics are not as good but I actually prefer the basic graphics as they add charm to the game I think personally.

From the impression I get, alot of younger gamers seem to be into the graphics more than gameplay.
    I think basic blocky graphics are cool (I was born in the early-mid 80's though lol)

Btw, get a Mew using the gameshark or glitch, and team him up with Pikachu if you are playing yellow :)
    That's what I am doing in my playthrough of yellow now.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I also started Pokemon a bit late, as well. But you're still probably older, haha :P I really liked Gold and Crystal, both of which I played before HGSS came out. :] I liked Crystal a lot! Unfortunately my copy of Yellow was corrupted and never let me go far, but I'm planning on finding other ways to beat it soon!

Even though I was into video games well before Gen 3, I never played it, and I honestly don't know why. I only got into Gen 4 after I got a DS for Christmas and a friend of mine showed me his Pokemon in Diamond. I then bought Pearl and loved it, I still do. Another friend of mine calls me a hypocrite for calling myself a Pokemon Fan despite never actually playing a Gen 1 game. But when Gen 1 came out, i was just a toddler! I didn't get my Gameboy Advance until i was at least 4th or 5th grade! (the real irony is that since he's a few years younger than me, when Gen 1 came out, he was either a newborn or not even born yet. So he didn't play them either! Who's the REAL hypocrite here?)

Apollo

怖がらないで
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2017
    I started with Generation 3! My first game was some bootleg hack of FireRed, those are very common in the country I live in, haha. But my first canon game was LeafGreen, although I didn't know what to do - I only reached until Cerulean City. Later on I got Emerald. This time I knew what to do, because I already watched the anime prior.

Aaaand yeah, it is definitely my fave generation. :P

Altius

Flygon Fan
    Years
  • Started with Gen III.

Honestly speaking, it should be Gen II with Pokémon Silver. However I never made it past Elm's Pokemon Lab because I was so young then and didn't care about the text box, so I didn't know I needed to get a poke ball. I did not touch Silver ever since, until the game cart failed when I tried to play it again one day.

Pokémon Ruby was the first version I actually completed. No help, no walkthrough, took months. So yeah, Gen III remains close to my heart.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2016
    My first ever game was Pokemon Red, in Gen 1. However, it's not my favorite gen; gen 3 is.

Years
  • I first played Pokemon Fire Red, then Leaf Green(when I played Leaf Green, I thought it's a whole new storyline :P), then, I played Pokemon Yellow, trying to see the thing where Pikachu follows you ^_^...
    Hahaha, good times, I was high school student back then....

Aoba

yelp
    Years
    • Age 30
    • /vp/
    • Seen Jun 30, 2015
    I started with gen 1 and Yellow version. But my favorite generation is gen 3 or 4, as I really got into Pokemon during those times.

Princess Diana

the people's princess
    Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    We (my brothers and I) had a copy of Yellow that we shared (lol) but the first solo game I had was on Silver.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I started with gsc, gold if we want to get really exact. Basically I was very young when I first got them and I had no idea what it was like or what Pokemon were on it. I was actually very confused when I started playing and couldn't get bulbasaur, squirtle, or charmander. But I got over it and honestly in a way I'm glad I started with those games. I barely knew any of the Pokemon so it was a lot of fun using Pokemon that I had no idea what they were like or what they evolved into.

My favorite generation is the third one though. Emerald is my favorite game and I thought FR/LG was an awesome remake.

Back