• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What happened to Gym puzzles?

Years
    • Seen May 26, 2016
    In the earlier games, these puzzles could be very tricky. The 8th gym in RSE (actually, a lot of the Hoenn gyms had tricky puzzles), the last few gyms in Johto and Kanto as well. But it seems the 4th, 5th, and 6th gen games have little to no puzzles at all. What happened to them? I for one enjoyed them very much.

Years
  • I agree :| There are plenty of tricky gyms in IV and V (I haven't got X and Y yet) but not like they used to be. The hardest ones were Snowpoint, Sunyshore, and Driftveil in BW2 (Driftveil is the least challenging of the 3) Everything else is just "Battle Trainers, Move on."

Hatsuharu

☆ princess of despair ☆
    Years
  • I'm honestly not sure, although I do remember having a lot of facepalm moments back in games like Crystal with all of those puzzles... I do agree that the gyms are seeming to go more in favor of looking nice than packing a puzzling punch.

Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2013
    I didnt like them too much, just a touch frustrating when I just want to go in and get a badge

Murkrow

Nasty Plotting
    Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2023
    i wish they can put in some zelda-esque tricky puzzles in gyms, atm they just keep getting more trivial with every gen

i think one of the worst theme is skyla's in bw and bw2, the whole gym is literally a safety hazard.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I really didn't like the gym puzzles, so I'm not at all sad to see them gone! What was in the Cilan/Cress/Chili gym is enough for me. Step on this, step on that.

The most frustrating puzzle ever has got to be Lt. Surge's in Vermilion City. I never understood how to do that systematically, I just randomly checked every trash can until I found something. And then I didn't understand what "right next to" meant, because it wasn't to the right so you could just as well pick wrong. Auugh. Good riddance, I say.

Years
  • I didnt like them too much, just a touch frustrating when I just want to go in and get a badge

I enjoy the change of pace. Or at least I did, it was a nice break from the game itself. However, I am not sure if the puzzles are easier, if we have simply grown use to them, or if we now as adults have grown smarter... which would be good thing.

Years
    • Seen Sep 14, 2017
    I have a love/hate relationship with puzzles. . . I love solving them but not how long it sometimes takes me to solve them LOL. There was that one Kanto Gym, I don't remember which one, but the with the neon spinning tiles, that one took me forever to figure out, and the Dragon Gym in Pokemon Black where you had to climb around the dragon and make parts of it's body move. Those were annoying. . . but fun >.>

Years
  • I have a love/hate relationship with puzzles. . . I love solving them but not how long it sometimes takes me to solve them LOL. There was that one Kanto Gym, I don't remember which one, but the with the neon spinning tiles

Getting the first one was a little bothersome but after figuring out how the mechanics worked the other two, at least for me, happened without fault. On a slightly unrelated note, the puzzle itself was more challenging than the gym leader.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I am only two gyms into X&Y, so I can't really comment on the challenges there, although the first two were rather easy. (But then, what region doesn't have two easy first gyms puzzle-wise? Hoenn's the hardest just because of the lack of light until you beat up some trainers. But yeah, I agree that they seem to be slowly getting easier overall, and I don't think it's just me not playing as a kid now. =p

But the puzzle can't be too based on luck. Then it stops being enjoyable and just becomes a matter of guesswork. I'm looking at you, Surge.

Years
  • I kinda agree. Usually later gyms challenge me but now pretty much all the gyms seem to just "guide" you subconsciously to the leader.

...and there's the Olivine gym.

Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2016
    Well, there must be something there if there's to be a challenge and keep your interest up. If every gym were like Brock's, Erika's or Jasmine's gym, then it would have been boring.

That said, not every gym must have puzzles. It depends.

Ashandarei

Siswai Aman
    Years
  • As a primarily end game player who generally prefers to blitz through the story I don't mind the lack of any true puzzles. In reality though, I probably still have scars from Vermillion City as a kid.

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2017
    I personally really like puzzles being a part of the game. But that's said, for the people who want them to be optional why not just bring back the trick master? While I personally like the gyms having them, for world building purposes, I wouldn't mind losing them if we got a nice comprehensive trick house instead. The people who want to breeze through the main game get what they want and the people who like solving puzzles get what they want.

Years
  • I think it was really just us getting older and more smarter. But I do honestly feel some of the later gyms have a more straightforward path, not that all gyms have to have puzzles though.

Years
    • Seen Feb 20, 2024
    I used to love puzzles in Pokémon Gyms despite Surge's (still) annoying trash can one. But as I played and played, I grew tired of them. Becase it's not just gyms... sometimes there's puzzles in caves too and in various places (Mirage Tower, I'm looking at you >.> stupid bike maneuvers and stuff :V) So, after playing and playing and laying, you kinda get bored of them. And some of them are so silly that you have to figure them out all over again whenever you play .-.

Back