• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen What Happened to Wally?

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
Years
  • You challenge him at the end of Victory Road.
    To answer the question: you first encounter Wally again in Mauville City when he tries to challenge the gym, but he can't, because his uncle won't let him. Then you battle him and he leaves for Verdanturf afterward. He stays there for a while, then leaves. When you're about to leave Victory Road, Wally approaches you and challenges you to a battle. After that, he stays in Victory Road and you'll know if he wants to battle you again via the Pokenav.

As for my opinions on Wally being a rival: I don't think he's cut out for it because he's just too nice.

IIRC, you battle him at the end of Victory Road in Pokemon Ruby/Saphire, but at the beginning in Pokemon Emerald.

Anyway, I didn't really care for him... :\ I don't know, he was just there, in my opinion. I guess it's because you only battle him twice, and the first time is with a Ralts and no other Pokemon. :\

Kip

🔥 Fluffy Fire Fox
    Years
    • Age 32
    • They/Them
    • UK
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    "Wally has always been sickly and frail..."

I'd assumed he died of cancer.

lol nice...

R/S/E had such a deep and more intensive plot in comparison to the other games at the time (R/B/Y/G/S/C), so I'm guessing the role of the rival was lessened in leu of that. I guess since you were trying to save to whole of the Hoenn region from total destruction from an evil teams (two evil teams in Emerald) as well as trying to win the League, the rival character wasn't needed as much.

Still, I liked Wally. He was nice. Wasn't as much of a pushover in Emerald as he was in Ruby, or at least that's how I remember it.

Years
  • I did enjoy Wally and he had a good character design (much better than the player charas of that Gen anyway). Battling him was fun ^^

I hope they revamp his artwork and that he makes some appearances in later games. A RSE remake would be interesting to see what they do to his character

mou

Pokemon Ranger-in-training
    Years
  • He just showed up three times,
    and his last battle was really challenging, indeed.

I wished he showed up more in the remake.
    No, actually, I wish he appears in the remake and not get replaced.
    I really like Wally, despite him being so underrated and all.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    He appeared loads of times, but they weren't anything special - May/Brenden was more of a rival for me, in my opinion. I wish you could have battled them again after outside the Big MART.

Rankurusu

WHITE VERSION AT LAST!!
    Years
  • Sadly, after steven retired from the champion position, Wally was the only challenging thing remaining in the Hoenn region for me (And he wasn't even that challenging).

I hope that if and when they make the R/S remakes, they make him both stronger, and give him more places to pop in occasionally.

Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2011
    Sadly, after steven retired from the champion position, Wally was the only challenging thing remaining in the Hoenn region for me (And he wasn't even that challenging).

I hope that if and when they make the R/S remakes, they make him both stronger, and give him more places to pop in occasionally.

On top of that they should give him more challenging pokemon to go up against instead of things like Delcatty, Magneton, and Roselia.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I'm sure if they remake R/S (which I think they will) they will imrpove his team and change his team rota and make him appear at more times and events, they increased Red's team on HG/SS by about 6-8 Levels.

sab

Now too much of a life.
    Years
  • He now sits there in victory road. I use him for training in emerald.

Years
  • Wally was a pretty chill guy, I like him and wish he appeared more.

Hopefully when the generation III remakes come to the surface, we will see more from him.

iNinja

hi hello
    Years
  • Game Freak doesn't really seem to add much story in remakes. Even though we only have 2 to base this on. HG/SS was no big difference. Thought you had the Sevii islands in FR/LG. The only gave a bit more depth to Bill. I don't really see them just throwing in wally a couple extra times and profiting from it when you had (I think his name was Scott?) running around also.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 6, 2015
    Wally was quite the cool kid.
    He was the first rival to love there pokémon
    But still he doesnt reach his goal of champion.

He needed a bigger role
    like battle him as powerful as steven in Emerald.

CHAZ The Cat

Come Charmander light my fire~
    Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2011
    Game Freak doesn't really seem to add much story in remakes. Even though we only have 2 to base this on. HG/SS was no big difference. Thought you had the Sevii islands in FR/LG. The only gave a bit more depth to Bill. I don't really see them just throwing in wally a couple extra times and profiting from it when you had (I think his name was Scott?) running around also.

Not actually true. Though I didn't play HG/SS, I know it has a lot more depht than G/S. For starters, it has a lot of the Crystal updates. Then they give you Giovanni, Lance & Clair, second matches, and all the storylines in between. And you must not forget about the D/P/Pt connection, which gives you a lot too.

Back to the topic, I hope they give Wally a bigger role than in R/S/E. As you all said, give him better Pokémon (though I like his alternative choices; he doesn't go with the strongest or the obvious, he has an original team) and at higher levels. I'd like to see Gallade instead of Gardevoir as well. Or maybe both?

As for storyline, he should appear at least one more time before the Victory Road event. Maybe even in the Groudon/Kyogre event. Or maybe searching for Rayquaza. His story is actually good, maybe refine it?

Oh, and most of all, for the remakes,
    I HOPE WE DON'T HAVE TO SURF AS MUCH AS WE HAD TO ON R/S!
    Just sayin...

Back