• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What is happiness?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Sometimes it's hard to define what happiness is. What is happiness to you though... what makes you actually happy? Do you know what happiness is? Can you really say you've experienced happiness? Although this may seem like a strange question, it's kind of deep.

For me, I think happiness is achieved through feeling successful, whether that be in the form of having many friends or achieving something amazing. Although, despite that, I'm still not really happy in general, because there are underlying thoughts associated to this year. That means I'm just not that happy...

So yeah... what about you? XD;

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
    Years
    To some people it's physical items. To others, it's knowing they're loved.

As for me, it's knowing I'm cared about. Knowing I have people I can turn to when I'm down and stressed, knowing I have friends I can chat to whenever without being rejected, knowing what it's truly like to be loved. Stuff along those lines.

Being around people I care about makes me happier than anything else ever would.

Last edited:

Darkfox1525

God in the arts of Darkness
    Years
    • Seen Oct 21, 2011
    IMO, its what makes YOU happy that counts. everyone has a different type of happyness, but the real question is what make you happy. me, i'm happy to help people and getting a "Thank you" or something along the line.

Bay

Years
    I think happiness is just anyone's perspective. Basically, anything from people to objects to even thoughts about the world.

As for me, I'm mostly happy when I'm assured everything will be okay. I have anxiety problems, and that would lead me to be very unhappy. However, if I then get my head straight and realized there it's not the end of the world and there's endless opportunities out there, then I'll be happy and think about that for a while. :3

Years
    This is a nice topic, so nice that it can most probably be delved upon on a more wider scale. That said, this is going off to Other Chat.

-Moved-

And to answer the question, I find that while happiness is subjective between all of us who go through various things in our lives, my idea of happiness is knowing that you are not alone, that you are able to commute with other people and that there are those close to you that love you for who you are as a person rather than any façade you intend to wear as a guise. Knowing you are accepted and have a mutual love for other people, and to have that returned to you in earnest, that is my idea of happiness. And I'm experiencing it all.

Last edited:

NiKaNoRoU

we are but particles
    Years
    Let's firstly ask ol' mother Wiki:
    Happiness is a state of mind or feeling characterized by contentment, love, satisfaction, pleasure, or joy. A variety of philosophical, religious, psychological and bilogical approaches have striven to define happiness and identify its sources.
    Philosophers and religious thinkers often define happiness in terms of living a good life or flourishing, rather than simply as an emotion. Happiness in this older sense was used to translate the Greek Eudemonia, and is still used in virtue ethnics.

Anyway, happiness to me is be with people. I hate being all alone at times when I am sober, and want to share my happiness around, too. They don't say that "sharing sadness is half the loss, sharing happiness is double the gain" just for laughs.

Eucliffe

☆ E N T E R T A I N E R
    Years

Enough said XD

Joking aside, I think happiness is a mental thing. You won't know you're happy until your conscience lets you know, so yeah.

That's my "in a nutshell" view of happiness.

Years
    In my opinion, happiness is a very vague subject, especially for myself.

I am 'happy' when I see my baby cousin; she spreads happiness and gives us a laugh, so I suppose that is happiness from knowing that you are loved, and being able to truly love others, and to be able to say it to their faces. I am also 'happy' when I am rewarded after working hard, such as receiving grades, or just a gift for something I have acheived, so I assume that falls under the 'Satisfaction' category of happiness. So I suppose happiness is a very vague topic, and defining it varies from person to person. A very good topic, Hakeen. It's got me interested.

Anyway, that is my two pennies...

-----

akshwalee i fink hapeenes iz wen sum1 telz u a fnny jke & u laf bout da funny johc u no???????

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    To some people it's physical items. To others, it's knowing they're loved. As for me, it's knowing I'm cared about.
    You sound like Professor Oak.

Anyway, there should totally be a philosophy section. I love talking about this sort of stuff.

For me, I'd say happiness is being entertained and having a good time. Doing good things also brings me happiness, I guess.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
    Definitions of happiness on the Web:

Now that's pretty interesting.

Anyhow, to me, it's simply being content. Knowing that everything (at the moment) is fine, and I can relax after a hard's day of carrying around a bag that's 2/5ths my body weight... Just that feeling in of itself is happiness.

BJ088

It's been so long!
    Years
    Happiness to me is being behind the decks rocking a crowd whilst sipping a beer on a BIG BIG night :)

Chibi-chan

The Freshmaker!
    Years
    I'm actually taking a philosophy class on happiness in my college...it's more of a seminar really, but I feel like I'm an expert on what happiness is and how to obtain it (event though most people dislike the results because they do not conform with social norms)

Gonna post a tl;dr later. Wait for it!

Years
    Happiness is only chemicals and signals in our brain that make us feel good. I don't like looking at it that way, but it's more likely than not the truth. However what triggers happiness, or this brain activity or whatever you would like to call it, is the real question. Some people make me happy. That is all. Other things like music and my team winning in the footy is good, but it's principally just relationships with other people.

Happiness is built on our expectations, I reckon. So say you've got the guy from Castaway on an island for three years without anybody else (Wilson the volleyball doesn't count, which also gets rid of the scene where he calls out "WILSON! WILSON! WILSON! WILSON" for like ten minutes straight) and he finds a fish. That's happiness. The same happiness I get from a relationship with other people. If you introduce another person to the Castaway island, suddenly catching a fish isn't that good anymore. One man falling in love and another man finding fifty dollars on the ground is the same happiness providing their views on what is important are different.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    One man falling in love and another man finding fifty dollars on the ground is the same happiness providing their views on what is important are different.
    I disagree. I get happy from finding fifty (or five hundred or whatever) dollars, but it's a different kind of happiness from falling in love (if you will). They're very different feelings, even though I would put them both under the banner of "happy."

Years
    Happiness to me is that I know that I have meaning in life, that I have a dream that I want to have, that I am doing something I love, and havning someone to love and to know that alot of the time that i put a smile on his face and knowing that he loves me.

Verkaufer

bis zum bitteren ende
    Years
    Happiness is relative. For some it's simply being with family, for others it's doing something they enjoy. There really is no solid definition for happiness.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Happiness is a feeling of accomplishment for the most part(to me); however, this can be stretched to many different subjects, which I will not state due to the fact that it can be stretched that far.

I'm actually taking a philosophy class on happiness in my college...it's more of a seminar really, but I feel like I'm an expert on what happiness is and how to obtain it (event though most people dislike the results because they do not conform with social norms)

Gonna post a tl;dr later. Wait for it!

You better gurl.
    I'm still waiting :(

Last edited:
    Back