• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"What is this? Is it fake? How much is it worth?" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jan 18, 2020
    OK. So do you know the value of this card? Because I'm trying to get a selling price in euros, you see

Years
    • Age 33
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    OK. So do you know the value of this card? Because I'm trying to get a selling price in euros, you see

A first edition, shadowless 39/102 Porygon that's ungraded and in good (not NM) condition will probably be about $20, which is around €18. I've seen graded ones going as high as €40, but considering yours has ink markings on the back, I don't think you should expect more than €10 - €15. That 1st Edition mark on the back, like Don said, is ink transfer from being pressed up against the front of another 1st edition Porygon, and therefore is not an error but a blemish on the card.

@selhurst31 - Seconding Don on this. None of those cards are legitimate:

Pikachu #1 does not exist in SM Team Up
    Pikachu #2 does not exist in SM Team Up
    Snorlax & Eevee should be 120/181
    Zekrom & Pikachu should be 33/181

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Sep 8, 2019
    Hello, I created this account just to ask a question.
    I would like to make a small collection of Eevee and its evolutions. But in hyper secret, you know, the rainbow holo ones.
    But There is no Eevee or Flareon, Vaporeon or Jolteon.
    Will there ever be these cards in hyper secret, or should I just give up on them?

Thanks!

Years
  • Hello, I created this account just to ask a question.
    I would like to make a small collection of Eevee and its evolutions. But in hyper secret, you know, the rainbow holo ones.
    But There is no Eevee or Flareon, Vaporeon or Jolteon.
    Will there ever be these cards in hyper secret, or should I just give up on them?

Thanks!

Not likely for Eevee by itself. Eevee is on the Eevee and Snorlax Tag Team GX rainbow holo, though, if you consider that as counting. Eevee is a not fully evolved Pokemon so there's no shot for it to get a rainbow rare, since the only way it's gotten GXes is as a promo, both in Japan and internationally.

As for Flareon, Vaporeon, and Jolteon, there's a chance as they're fully evolved, but the only GXes we got were promos in Japan and are promos internationally. Only GX cards that were in a proper set in Japan seem to be getting rainbow rares. We're also at the end of the GX era (in Japan, the Sword and Shield set releases in December and it's already confirmed we're getting a replacement for the GX card type in it), so we're not quite sure if we're going to keep getting rainbow rares as our secret rares yet.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Sep 8, 2019
    I see,
    That's a bummer. But thank you for your detailed explanation. So the Holo rares are only for fully evolved pokemons?
    So no chane to get Braixen either?

Years
  • I see,
    That's a bummer. But thank you for your detailed explanation. So the Holo rares are only for fully evolved pokemons?
    So no chane to get Braixen either?

The rainbow rares are only released for GXs that get printed in Japanese sets rather than as promos in Japan, and not fully evolved Pokemon have only gotten GX cards as promos in Japan.

Not as a standalone for Braixen.

However, if you're okay with Charizard being on the card as well, there's a Charizard & Braixen Tag Team GX rainbow that will be coming in Cosmic Eclipse (yes, a very odd pair). Given your response to the Eevee & Snorlax one, though, you may not be keen on that one.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Sep 8, 2019
    I see. Well, I don't like much the idea or the Snorlax but a Cahrizard and Braixen may look nice. I will keep an eye on those.
    Thanks again for your replies!

Years
    • Age 20
    • Seen Sep 12, 2019
    I just had a look through my Pokémon collection from about 10 years ago and I found a Rayquaza C. I'll have to explain it all here as I can't attach an image because I haven't made 5 posts.
    Level - 73
    HP - 300
    It says "SP Champion's Pokémon" underneath the image
    Moveset - Trash burst 30+
    Twister 150
    I also found the same card online but my card has 3x the attack and hp. I'm guessing it's probably fake but if it isn't I thought it must be pretty rare lol.
    Thanks, Snaeky

Years
  • I just had a look through my Pokémon collection from about 10 years ago and I found a Rayquaza C. I'll have to explain it all here as I can't attach an image because I haven't made 5 posts.
    Level - 73
    HP - 300
    It says "SP Champion's Pokémon" underneath the image
    Moveset - Trash burst 30+
    Twister 150
    I also found the same card online but my card has 3x the attack and hp. I'm guessing it's probably fake but if it isn't I thought it must be pretty rare lol.
    Thanks, Snaeky

Absolutely 100% a counterfeit since those numbers are triple what they are on the actual card.

Years
    • Age 20
    • Seen Sep 12, 2019
    Yeah makes sense. Thought I'd at least check. Thanks for your help though!

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Sep 15, 2019
    Hi there! So like everyone else I have cards from when I was a kid. I collected pretty heavily for a while and I hand pulled all of them accept a few which I traded for, also when I was a kid. I know what some of the cards are but others like gen 2 pokemon and Japanese cards I'm not sure. I've been asking around different places seeing if there's anyone who's willing to help me identify what they can. I've searched sites and such but just don't know enough about card sets to identify them. Not to mention some of the sites I've tried don't have older sets listed, especially in Japanese.
    So any help would be appreciated!

Also just should mention not asking for prices or anything. I just need someone willing to go over some cards with me. In turn, giving me the ability to look them up / have more of an idea of what I'm looking at.

If someone is interested in helping me identify some of this stuff I have an imgur album with a majority of my stuffs but I can't post links yet. In turn I guess I can't post pictures either.

Anyway, appreciate any help or info as I'm fairly lost. I know some are shadowless, some are first edition, but there's just others that I have no clue about.

Years
    • Age 33
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Hi there! So like everyone else I have cards from when I was a kid. I collected pretty heavily for a while and I hand pulled all of them accept a few which I traded for, also when I was a kid. I know what some of the cards are but others like gen 2 pokemon and Japanese cards I'm not sure. I've been asking around different places seeing if there's anyone who's willing to help me identify what they can. I've searched sites and such but just don't know enough about card sets to identify them. Not to mention some of the sites I've tried don't have older sets listed, especially in Japanese.
    So any help would be appreciated!

Also just should mention not asking for prices or anything. I just need someone willing to go over some cards with me. In turn, giving me the ability to look them up / have more of an idea of what I'm looking at.

If someone is interested in helping me identify some of this stuff I have an imgur album with a majority of my stuffs but I can't post links yet. In turn I guess I can't post pictures either.

Anyway, appreciate any help or info as I'm fairly lost. I know some are shadowless, some are first edition, but there's just others that I have no clue about.

If you post a picture or write a description of the cards, we can most definitely help tell you what they are and how to appraise them! :)

Years
  • If you post a picture or write a description of the cards, we can most definitely help tell you what they are and how to appraise them! :)

They posted this in the Discord server's TCG channel:

Well good news is I found a card shop after a couple days of searching who's willing to go over me cards with me. Here's a link to that imgur album with some of my cards. https://imgur.com/a/bInHgQV

Just an FYi.

Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Sep 20, 2019
    Thanks for the information about the Aura's Lucario ex. I greatly appreciate your research.

Years
  • Just wondering whether this is a fake?

View attachment 89094

View attachment 89095

Thanks
    J.

100% fake. It looks like someone did some poorly done edits to the original Japanese card, and then printed it out on a printer that was out of the colors yellow and cyan.

Original Japanese looks like this:
    20120730213731%21AmbipomDragonsExalted100.jpg

Actual card in English looks like this:
    AmbipomDragonsExalted100.jpg

Years
    • Age 49
    • Seen Sep 20, 2019
    Thanks so much.... I have most likely stumbled on a whole collection of fakes. Someone has wasted a lot of time in making terrible copies... so far I have tossed out more than 30.

Years
  • Thanks so much.... I have most likely stumbled on a whole collection of fakes. Someone has wasted a lot of time in making terrible copies... so far I have tossed out more than 30.

The back itself is mostly the legit design that's used on the backs of any Japanese card printed in 2002 or later, but it just looks too washed out to be the actual legit back.

Years
    • Age 33
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    To be fair, at least they used a wonderful text color on the counterfeit. :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back