• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen What is your favorite item?

ItWasABadDream

Genwunner / born 1989
Years
  • The first generation games had all the original items. There's only been one item that was discarded after Gen I -- the Exp. All.

The second generation of Pokémon gaming introduced us to held items. A held item is an item that may be carried by a Pokémon. This capability was first introduced in Generation II; however, when a Pokémon obtained in Generation I is traded to a Generation II game through the Time Capsule, it may be holding an item, such as a TM09 held by an Abra. Likewise, items held by Pokémon traded to Generation I will not be lost. Held items range from Berries, which can be used in battle for recovery of HP, curing of a status condition, raising of a stat, and other effects; to the Soothe Bell, which boosts friendship gained.

What was your favorite item in Gen 1 and Gen 2?

Spoiler:

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    My favorites are...

Standard Pokéball
    Berries from Gen II
    Apriballs
    Full Restore
    TM11 in Generation I, I used to love Bubble Beam a lot.
    TM13 Ice Beam in Generation I
    TM19 in Gen II which is Giga Drain
    TM24 Thunderbolt and Dragon Breath, I love them.
    Used to love Moomoo Milk in Gen II, I don't even know why. xD

ItWasABadDream

Genwunner / born 1989
    Years
  • My favorites are...

Standard Pokéball
    Berries from Gen II
    Apriballs
    Full Restore
    TM11 in Generation I, I used to love Bubble Beam a lot.
    TM13 Ice Beam in Generation I
    TM19 in Gen II which is Giga Drain
    TM24 Thunderbolt and Dragon Breath, I love them.
    Used to love Moomoo Milk in Gen II, I don't even know why. xD

All my favorite TMs too. Just a shame Giga Drain wasn't just a little bit stronger... say 70-75 BP.

Reactions: Sun

Infinitum

╭━━╮╱╱╭━? ??╱╱╱╱╭╮╱? ?╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱ ╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱? ??╭?
    Years
  • × Master ball by far: there weren't many (like usually) and they were VERY good back then. I still remember using the MissingNo glitch in Pokémon Red to get (126 I thought) of them. Memories...

Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2016
    Gen 2 I'd definitely say it has to be the introduction of the Exp Share, but aside from that I'm going to just be bland and basic and say the Poke Ball. I usually catch my team members early on, so aside from the Legendary catching using Ultra Balls, Poke Balls were the best thing in the start of the game.

I also love Antidotes & Paralyze Heals, I generally stock up (buy say 10 of each) in each new town I get to with the prize money (which I do in every game) so they help out a lot.

Years
    • Seen Jan 26, 2016
    Exp Share for sure. I quite liked those special items that increased certain move-types like the er....miracle seed etc.

Saintscrew7

Helpful little Angel
    Years
  • Although it doesn't did anything... SLOWPOKETAIL.
    Just liked the Slowpoke incident... That's all...
    Pp Up
    Max Elixir
    Full Restore
    Max Revive
    And my Favorite: Lure Ball

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    Gen 1: Probably PP Up, the Master Ball, Rare Candy, the TMs for Ice Beam and Thunder Bolt, HM03 Full Restore, and the Bicycle (to speed things up a bit).
    Gen 2: Master Ball, PP Up, Exp. Share, Light Ball, Bicycle, Full Restore, HM03, and maybe the Lucky Egg (though I'm not sure I had one then; I really like it now, though). Leftovers were pretty great, too.

80C

"This is a text filler!"
    Years
    • Seen May 13, 2022
    Pokemon Red's 8F (the glitch item). No doubts.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • Rare Candy!

Who doesn't love a quick level up? Especially if you're Pokemon is one level from evolving. It might be a little cheaty, but they were rare (as per their name) so I didn't feel too bad using them haha.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    In Gen II, the Apricorn Balls are the absolute best. In Gen I my favorite is definitely the Rare Candy, oh the amount of times I used the infinite item cheat on Rare Candy...

Years
    • Seen Jan 26, 2016
    I just played through Yellow using no rare candies and barely missed them - though they are a superb item. I think exp-all (later exp-share) is probably one of my favourites.

Years
  • I will go with the Rage candy bar (or RAGECANDYBAR) because even though they were pretty much useless by the stage you could buy them in Gold/Silver, I always thought as a kid they would do something more important (mainly due to being candy and Rare candies are obviously very useful).

Other than that, I would go with the Bicycle. In a world were running shoes didn't exist yet, receiving the bicycle was a godsend.

Back