• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What nicknames do you give to your pokemon

Do You Give Your Pokemon A Nickname?

• Yes

Votes: 219 74.7%
  • No

Votes: 74 25.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DGexe

Taunter
Years
  • Doesn't look like I've posted here, so...

Current Diamond team names and why:
    Taunter, Haunter-- I've always named all my Haunters this; it's a tradition. If I can get a Haunter in the game, I name it Taunter (preferably male! I did name a female this once my accient!)

Regnorik, Gallade-- I borrowed this name from a character of mine in a story that is not only a swordsman, but is also very curtious and calm in his attitude.

Sparx, Jolteon-- This is simply childish unoriginality and a fandom of the Spyro the Dragon series (original 3); the name has stuck, akin to my Haunter tradition, however.

Aquaria, Vaporeon-- Once more, lack of originality, but I like it.

Axel, Typlosion-- AHAHA, KH FAN IS ME. D: Totally unoriginal, but I found a more suiting name...

Matathena, Espeon-- Espeons look like Nekomata, and the Goddess Athena is wise (as I see psychic-types to be as well); this is a no brainer.

NOW, that team is very similiar to my IC team... here are the changes, and why IC-character picked that name, because I'm a dork like that:

Taunter, or Taun(y) for short-- childish, but it was given to him when his now-trainer was 5 years old or so; childish minds conjure childish nicknames

Vladimir, or Vlad for short-- the last to be named on Lauren's current team, he gained his name after his trainer's arrival on Earth as well. On an excrusion to Russia, she had a moment of extreme boredom (and inability to find what she was looking for there) and started sifting through a few translated books, looking at names for the un-named Gliscor... she saw 'Vladimir' and thought it fit him nicely. There ya go.

Sparx-- spawned from a period where the trainer's creative mind wasn't really so... creative. Nicknaming was new to Lauren at the time her Eevee evolved, and thus she thought of "Sparx" to fit; Sparks, as it was originally, didn't look neat to Lauren; thus, she threw an "x" in. Lack of originality, but it stuck.

Aquaria, or Aqua for short-- originally named "Eevie" (same incident as the "Sparx" name), Aquaria was given the nickname she goes by today by a whole other trainer, before the Pokemon was once more in Lauren's possession. According to the other trainer, "Aquaria" is a highly-corrupted form of "Aqoritiu", which was a city that supposedly was blown to pieces by the volcanic island it peacefully (for a time) existed upon.

Regnorik, or Reggy for short-- according to his former owner, Doctor Ludwig, "Regnorik" is a corruption of "Ragnorok". Though a fan of Norse mythology, he didn't apply the name well; the Gallade didn't prove to be very apocylapic. Lauren kept the name however, remarking that it had an "elegant and regal sort of air to it".

Vesuvius, or Vesuv for short-- this was given to the Typhlosion soon after his egg hatched during one of Lauren's expeditions to Earth. Having read up about various volcanic eruptions and the mountains involved in them, she discovered "Vesuvius" and found it and the tale of Pompeii most interesting; ergo, the then-Cyndaquil earned his nickname.

Bonzai-Cat

The Best Around
    Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2011
    I named my Blastoise Bowser because they are both turtle like creatures and they both appear to be angry and kinda mean.
    In most cases though I usually name a pokemon based on it's species and it's nature, it varies lots.

CyberForte

Calculmancer
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jul 15, 2022
    >.>; Mine aren't the most original, but... well, at least most share a theme. <.<; Obviously, I was an NGE fan majorly at one point.

Porygon-Z - Balthalzar, named for my favorite of the three MAGI supercomputers which are in turn named for the three mythological magi.

Kingdra - Ayanami, named for Rei Ayanami. Blue with red eyes. >.>;

Ninetales - Sohryu, for Asuka Langley Sohryu. For obvious reasons. <.<;

Absol - Tabris, for the 17th angel. Kaworu might've been better. White-haired with red eyes.

Swellow - Muramasa, because a burn-orb/facader is certainly analagous to a cursed sword. Also, MMBN battle chip reference.

Espeon - Wild Karde, as a loose reference to Talon Karrde from Star Wars, as well as that the Espeon itself is a wild card in my team, as I already have another paychic.

Gallade - Le Creuset, a not-entirely-fitting reference to Rau Le Creuset from Gundam SEED, one of my all-time favorite villains.

Cloyster - Adamantine, named for the mythical hard substance, being as Cloyster be quite epic on the defense and all.

Mismagius - Lelouch, named for Lelouch vi Britannia. Not the best fit, but at least fits as far as color scheme.

-CF

Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2008
    Well i always have 6 Pokemon on my party but i only use 3 and those are like my mains.

So on Emerald:
    Milotic = Phoebe - I like that name :)

Roselia = Rose - i just cut the name up

Blissey = Bliss - cut the name in half too

Fire Red:
    Swampert = Kip - Half of name from beginning

Venusaur = Ivy - Second name cut in half

*haha i'm so original xD*

and last but not least

Piloswine = Nub - once again, so original lol.

GKS

Retired Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2013
    I usually don't give them nicknames, I just like the original name.

I Laugh at your Misfortune!

Normal is a synonym for boring
    Years
  • I sometimes give nicknames, sometimes not. From my Shiny Gold team:

Magnemite: Buzzap (yeh, kinda stupid)
    Quilava: Vulcan (volcano god for a fire-type. go figure)
    Geodude: Baldor (I was gonna go for boulder, but this is a tad more original)
    Machop: Muscle (trade name. bleargh)
    Ariados: Arachne (woman turned spider. and its a bonus that Arachne's female)
    Noctowl: Spectre (it always looked a bit spooky to me)

well, there you go. So, whaddaya reckon?

DGexe

Taunter
    Years
  • Ahaha! I remember Muscle from the Metal games! *had it on her team for a while in Gold*

I have more nicknames...
    DP team's names when I beat the E4:
    1. Taunter-- same one as my last post

2. Sheena-- Gastrodon; for some reason, I named her after the ToS character Sheena; likewise, she has a male counterpart in my PC; Zelos the Western Shellos.

3. Altair-- Infernap; he went through quite a few names, but this lack-of-originality was from wanting to play Assassin's Creed,

4. Spirit-- Mesprit; YEAH, that totally wasn't original either, but I liked it.

5. Sphinx-- Luxray; whoo yeah, not original either; taken from Shinx and the fact that Luxray looks like a freaky lion to me, and the Egyptian Sphinx being mostly lion.

6. Korinthysis-- Dialga; originally named Kratos (ToSness), I changed the name to a Copper DnD dragon a character of mine uses in free-form roleplay from time to time. "Korinthysisquenzellix" was too long to put in, so I just shortened it to what it originally was... ironicly, Dialga seems male to me, and Korinthysis is a female Copper.

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
    Years
  • This is a list I compiled of the nicknames I have giving over the years. As you can probably tell it's not complete:

Vulpix-Pixie
    Alakazam-Magi
    Chimecho-Chime
    Chikorita-Flower
    Cyndaquil-Smoke
    Totodile-Jaws
    Chikorita-Posy
    Charmander-Chalk
    NidoranM-BunnyM
    NidoranF-BunnyF
    Raticate-Bitey
    Clefable-Fair
    Jigglypuff-Sing
    Moltres-Venus
    Articuno-Pluto
    Zapdos-Jupiter
    Ivysaur-Big Seed
    Charizard-Big Lizard
    Blastoise-Big Turtle
    Butterfree-Fly
    Beedrill-Stef
    Sandslash-Helen
    Persian-Xena
    Meowth-Xena2
    Noctowl-Clock
    Azurill-Dots
    Azurill-Zana
    Marill-Mark
    Azumarill-Molly
    Lapras-Lappy
    Lapras-Big Blue
    Skarmory-Defender
    Scizor-Scissors
    Poliwrath-Gloves
    Plusle-Pa
    Plusle-Posi
    Minum-Ma
    Minum-Negi
    Swellow-Tap
    Delcatty-Gaby
    Skitty-Jenny
    Skitty-Joy
    Skitty-Sylvester
    Skitty-Star
    Skitty-Ginger
    Skitty-Sandy
    Skitty-Taby
    Skitty-Kitty
    Skitty-Candy
    Skitty-Bell
    Skitty-Mitten
    Skitty-Socks
    Snorlax-Zleep
    Pichu-Lightning
    Pichu-Sprinkles
    Pikachu-Sparky
    Pikachu-Rocket
    Pikachu-Junior
    Pikachu-Jungle
    Pikachu-May
    Raichu-Thunder
    Raichu-Poppy
    Torterra-Twitle
    Dugtrio-Claws
    Absol-Abby
    Leafeon-Eon
    Jolteon-Jolt
    Flareon-Ash
    Flareon-Flame
    Vaporeon-Splash
    Gyarados-Jaws
    Gyarados-Fairy
    Machop-Tamantha
    Golem-Dude
    Rapidash-Arkfire
    Cloyster-Clamp
    Electrode-Plode
    Porygon-Pory
    Aerodactyl-Areo
    Bagon-Kitty
    Whiskash-Whiskas
    Ledyba-Spots
    Togepi-Chip
    Togepi-Dip
    Mareep-Bell
    Quagsire-Woop
    Wooper-Upah
    Espeon-Eve
    Umbreon-Sun
    Misdreavus-Marge
    Wynaut-Snap
    Mantine-Kite
    Phanpy-Taffy
    Gardevoir-Melodie
    Spoink-Bounce
    Tropius-Troopa
    Kyogre-Neptune
    Staraptor-Stars
    Luxray-Shina
    Sheildon-Lily
    Sheildon-Tony
    Sheildon-Danny
    Sheildon-Nina
    Pachirisu-Pouchy
    Floatzel-Buzz
    Gastrodon-Mr.Sea
    Gastrodon-Ms.Sea
    Drifloon-Woon
    Lopunny-Lilac
    Blissey-Holly
    Carnivine-Triffid
    Uxie-Uni
    Mesprit-Miu
    Azelf-Ata
    Girafarig-Polly
    Shinx-Jingles
    Shinx-Prance
    Shinx-Angel
    Shinx-Scat
    Magikarp-Spoon
    Magikarp-Milotic
    Magikarp-Misty
    Houndoom-Tan
    Hariyama-Circle
    Voltorb-Golf
    Mightyena-Coal
    Kingdra-Seak
    Palkia-Astro

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I only have one nickname worth mentioning and that's Shiver for the Lugia I caught a couple of years ago in my Silver version.

All of the other nicknames I've given to my Pokémon are terrible. Probably because I don't put any thought into them. For this reason, they're not being listed.

Years
  • My teams all nicknamed- its:

Umbreon- Shadow
    Yanmega- Slicer
    T Tar- Twister
    Togekiss- Razor Wind
    Mamoswine- Mammochon
    Weavile- Koritatsu

I just nn them with names that seem to sound cool lol, and it gives them some individuality.

Zenoah

Hop along to the cowboy beat.
    Years
  • I dont normaly nickname, but when I do they're eaither sophisticated or with a mood Im in. I have a team named after characters in Shakespear's Romeo and Juliette. In Diamond I gave them all nicknames. I have:

Leafeon: Forest
    Vaporeon: Skye
    Purugly: Purdence
    Rapidash: Freya
    Mismagius: Gothica
    Driftblim: Aire

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • Off the top of my head (don't know if I'll add more later...)

Blaziken - TrailBlaze:t257:: originally Blazer, but, as I lost Sapphire and had to buy Emerald, I changed it for an "affirmed renewal of our purpose in Pokemon" - or something like that. :D

Swampert - Crash: originally Swamper, but Crash seems cooler/more innovative

Sceptile - Razor
    Charizard - WildFire
    Blastoise - Blaster
    Venusaur - Venom
    Raichu - Lightning
    Typhlosion - Override
    Feraligatr- either WaterWorks or ThundrClap (Totodile claps so much in the anime!)
    Meganium - Vitamin C
    Infernape - changed it from Breaker to CrossFire
    Empoleon - Hatchet
    Torterra - Forrester
    Sharpedo - Mach (even though it's not that fast... :P)
    Dragonite - Hurricane
    Tyranitar - Code Red
    Salamence - Sky High
    Metagross - Commodore
    Garchomp - Scourge
    Rhyperior - Overlord
    Kangaskhan - Warhead
    Scizor - Guillotine
    Staraptor - Meteor
    Pidgeot - Savannah
    Girafarig - Silence
    Tauros - Pathfinder?
    Stantler - Nightmare
    Aerodactyl - Velocity (because that thing always creams my Flyers in the BT. Then again, I really didn't train the Pokemon competitively):laugh:
    Steelix - Tectonyx (thanks to that poor guy at Memorial Pillar in FireRed...)

And I'm waiting to name a bird Pokemon Tomahawk!

LOL, someone said once if you don't nickname your Pokemon and call 'em by their species name, it's the same thing as calling your friends "Human" in real life instead of by name:laugh:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 2, 2013
    Nicknames??

I was just wondering, how many people actually DO choose nicknames when tey get the choice to..?

If you do, what do you choose to nickname it?

EDIT: Please do not slam me because i write this, as i am new and this is my first new thread, (besides my welcome one)

True Justice

Shichibukai: Bartholomew Kuma
    Years
  • I never nickname my Pokemon. I can never come up with one that I'm completely satisfied with. However, I have seen some pretty clever ones before. I also dislike getting nicknamed Pokemon off the GTS. I feel like it's taking someone elses idea and keeping it for myself.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back