• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What Pokémon do you associate with each specific region?

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
Years
  • Similar to how panda bears automatically makes one think of China or how kangaroos automatically makes one think of Australia, what are some Pokémon that you associate with a specific region? Starter Pokémon are perhaps the most obvious answer because they are the first Pokémon players are introduced to during the beginning of a new Pokémon generation that takes place in a new region, but let's try not to include the Starter Pokémon. Legendary Pokémon associated with such regions might be too obvious as well because of the box legendaries being on the game covers and the minor legendaries often being heavily associated with the game's lore.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Online now
    • Kanto: Hm. Perhaps Clefairy? Ties it strongly to Mt. Moon. Might actually say Hitmonchan and Hitmonlee too, on different grounds. Filled other regions with Generation 1 Pokemon during the main story. Rarely finds these two until Generation 8. (Avoids Pikachu as a starter in Let's Go. Never saw enough wild Meowths either.)

• Johto: The Mareep line. Remembers using it when the games released. Also Tyranitar. Stands out as the big bad Pokemon of Generation 2, and a new Dark type to boot. (Knows Bellsprout too well to associate it strongly with Johto, despite Sprout Tower.)

• Hoenn: Thinks of Castform. Represents weather, which made its debut in the region. Focused the entire story around weather too. Probably Ralts as well, because of Wally.

• Sinnoh: Buizel. Associates Sinnoh with the new physical/special split. Represented that most clearly with an early physical Water type. Adds Bidoof too, as the quintessential HM Pokemon.

• Unova: Zorua because of N. Maybe Sawsbuck too? Rarely appears in the games outside of Unova (or at least not easily). Changes with the exclusive season mechanic.

• Kalos: Pyroar (male) for its connection to Lysandre. Flabebe as the first Fairy type. Features prominently in the story (as Floette) too.

• Alola: Rockruff. Sees one in the introduction. Evolves based on your version too. Associates Toucannon with Alola, as a very tropical-looking bird. Thinks of Stoutland sometimes, despite not being from this region. Rode it for breeding regularly.

• Galar: Sharpedo. Cannot forget them after being harassed by them in Isle of Armor. Does not care that they are from Hoenn. Other than that, perhaps Corviknight? Features it as a means of transportation. Relied it a bunch when first playing the region too.

• Paldea: Cyclizar. Spots others riding them in the region. Associates them with Koraidon and Miraidon, the bigger face of the region.

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
    Years
  • Kanto: The Fearow, Pidgeot, Raticate, Butterfree, and Beedril lines. As someone who started with Sapphire, these are all Pokemon that I saw for the first time in FireRed, and all early in the game.

Johto: The Furret, Sunflora, Forretress, and Jumpluff lines, all of which aren't catchable easily in Gen 3 or Sinnoh so HGSS were my first time seeing them in-game.

Hoenn: Basically everything in the Gen 3 Hoenn Regional Dex, even the non-Hoenn Pokemon, but especially the starters and the Pelipper and Linoone lines. Sapphire was my first ever Pokemon game and I memorized its entire regional dex before I even knew what a Charmander was.

Sinnoh: In addition to the usual regional rodent and bird, the Bibarel and Staraptor lines, I really associate Sinnoh with Budew and Roserade because it blew my mind as a kid that old Pokemon could get new evolutions and pre-evolutions, and Roselia got both of them. Also the Bronzong line because those things were somewhat common and really annoying to fight against.

Unova: The Gigalith line, Throh and Sawk, the Conkeldurr line, and the Swoobat line for how they all felt like clear replacements of Gen 1 Pokemon that couldn't be put in because of the "all new 151 Pokemon" gimmick.

Kalos: Though it's not actually a Kalosian Pokemon, Chandelure and its pre-evos because I've used it on multiple X and Y teams and never in Unova. Also Vivillon because I love all its different patterns, the Meowstic line because your rival has one as their lead, and the Florges line for being one of the first Fairy-types.

Alola, Galar, and Paldea: I haven't played any of these games yet.

Lavender

No, your gonna face ME first!
    Years
  • Kanto, Vaporeon of course :3

Johto, Ariados, cool design, bad stats, pretty much all mons in johto.

Hoenn, Probably Wingull, it's everywhere in that gen!

Sinnoh, Palkia, just pops in my mind.

Unova, Leavanny, saw it a lot in the BW anime.

Kalos, Sylveon, it's a new eeveelution!

Alola, Charjabug, I used one in my first ever playthrough of my first ever pokemon game!

Galar, Centiskorch, very cool guy that sticks in my head.

Paldea, Spidops, my 2nd fav mon.

SteCisGreendog

Iron Armour Forever
    Years
  • Here's my take on the topic; top three per region, each with an explanation or lack thereof.

Kanto:
    1) Mankey - the original primate.
    2) Ninetales - a strong resemblence to the folklore that's present in the real life region it's based off.
    3) Snorlax - relavant to the plot of R/B/G/Y, and you gotta wake up two of them.

Johto:
    1) Scizor - an unofficial ambassador of the Steel type.
    2) Togepi - introduced the Egg mechanic, slowly teased the second Gen in the anime.
    3) Slowking - unique evolution for Slowpoke surprised me when I first learned of it in 2000.

Hoenn:
    1) Tropius - tropical fun-loving banana bearded dude.
    2) Shedinja - they love their bugs, and this is no different.
    3) Whiscash - no shortage of fish either, and also alludes to folklore.

Sinnoh:
    1) Froslass - appropriately chilly native of the land.
    2) Chatot - had a vocal gimmick that's unique to the DS handheld.
    3) Rotom - the little gremlin was already redundant before it became the new face of the Pokedex.

Unova:
    1) Munna - the fabled Pokemon described in Gen I materialised here.
    2) Ferrothorn - grew likeable enough to add to my team, but dear me, keep it away from fire!
    3) Deerling - may or may not be a Bambi reference.

Kalos:
    1) Tyrantrum - it was a matter a time before T-Rex gets the Pokemon treatment.
    2) Carbink - the only Fairy typing I liked of the new breed.
    3) Doublade - reminds me of French chivalry.

Alola:
    1) Rockruff - token dog looks more doglike than any other doggy Pokemon. That doesn't mean that I like it.
    2) Alolan Vulpix - I hate this. We already have a Vulpix at home.
    3) Pikipek - designed to fit very well with the Hawaiian backdrop.

Galar:
    1) Mr. Ryme - would have been on the nose if the animation cycle hadn't made me laugh so much at a Pokemon in my life!
    2) Obstagon - a cross between a badger and a glam rock act. Doesn't get more British than this.
    3) Runerigus - remembered for its specific evolution method. At least it didn't make me memorise the names of all the kings and queens - in order of rule.

Paldea:
    1) Varoom - Spain loves automobiles. Who knew?
    2) Toedscool - good thing I stayed away from game spoilers. I've never been happier to discover this Pokemon.
    3) Great Tusk/Iron Treads - I envy the fact that Donphan received two species bearing its likeness here.

Years
  • Kanto: Rattata, Koffing, Zubat, Beedrill, Butterfree, Chansey.

Johto: Ledyba/Ledian, Spinarak/Ariados, Girafarig, Mantine.

Hoenn: Poochyena/Mightyena, Wingull/Pelipper, Delcatty/Skitty, Salamence line, Metagross line, Kecleon.

Sinnoh: Shinx line, Mamoswine, Froslass, Glaceon, Leafeon, Starly line.

Unova: Leavanny & Scolipede lines, Volcarona, Liepard.

Kalos: Goodra, Aurorus, Sylveon, Dedenne, Tyrantrum, Hawlucha, Gogoat.

Alola: Yungoos, Pikipek line, Oricorio, Jangmo-o line, Bewear, Bruxish.

Galar: Centiskorch, Frosmoth, Duraludon, Orbeetle, Nickit/Thievul, Eldegoss, Dubwool, that annoying electric doggo that won't leave me alone when exploring the CT!

Paldea: Lechonk, Pawmi & Tinkatink lines, Tarountula, Veluza the menace, Orthworm, Bombirdier, Arboliva line.

Pretty much just went with the first several to come to mind.

Back