• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What Pokemon gets drastically changed if you return to the way moves worked in 3rd gen

PsyKiss

Not So Innocent Cutie Pie
Years
  • Which Pokemon would change the most if you changed all the moves to how they worked in Gen III, with there being a Physical and Special divide based on types and not the individual move.

Leafeon is kind of ruined as far as stab goes, as well as any of the special ice types introduced. Your thoughts?

Years
  • Some of the Dragon-types that are really strong and used stuff like Dragon Dance and Outrage would have been affected pretty badly like this, like Garchomp and Dragonite. Although at the same time, Hydreigon could be one to fire off Outrage running off that same stat.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    Absol stands out, I think. Dark was purely Special so gg physically-oriented Absol. Plus, Absol has a much more broad movepool than it did way back when.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    First one I can think of is Alakazam. Fire Punch, Ice Punch, and Thunder Punch were all special moves under the old physical/special split. Having those gave it a lot of extra coverage.

Then there's Zekrom. Electric and Dragon were both special types before gen 4, but Zekrom is a physically inclined poke. And with its shallow movepool, the old physical/special split would've really sucked for it.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I believe Garchomp would have been affected negatively here if the split hadn't occurred.

Garchomp's move-pool seems to be filled with physical-based attacks, such as Earthquake, Stone Edge (it does have this move, doesn't it?), Dragon Claw, and so forth; since its typing is special-based, things likely would not have worked to its advantage. Currently, this Pokémon seems to be utilized a lot in terms of competitive and whatnot; it probably wouldn't have been as popular if gen-three mechanics were still active.

Due to similar reasons, I also wouldn't imagine Flygon to be as successful, either, and various other dragon-types such as Charizard X, Dragonite (this could be played specially, but its physical side would likely have been nonexistent), and so forth.

Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2015
    Normal, Water and Fairy types would be the most benefitted,as the weaknesses would fall only in Physical and Special types. Pokemon like Snorlax, Sylveon or Kyogre would be more difficult to defeat. There are exceptions to this, being Swampert and Porygon Z the first ones that I can think of.

The other one would be Rayquaza. In its Mega form it would be invincible, literally

Last edited:

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

"Embracing the suck since the 90's"

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    lol I was thinking Flareon too.

Honestly it got shafted way back then and pretty much is still shafted now. So not much of a difference for it.

Every physical water type ever would be missing out

Years
  • lol I was thinking Flareon too.

Honestly it got shafted way back then and pretty much is still shafted now. So not much of a difference for it.

Every physical water type ever would be missing out

Wow, that's one I didn't think to mention *cough Gyarados cough*.

For that matter, Metagross would be without a physical Psychic-type STAB, as well as Pursuit and the punches not getting the buff as well. As well as that, Lucario wouldn't be able to use its good Special Attack as well without Aura Sphere (even though special Lucario isn't as prominent as physical).

PsyKiss

Not So Innocent Cutie Pie
    Years
  • The sad part is that half of these Pokemon that are getting mentioned are from gen 3 and below. At least some of them had decent special attack so you could give them surf or something and it wouldnt be the worse (in game at least)

Back