• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What real life animal would you like to have a pokemon counterpart?

Mecha-Scrafty

Gastrodon shall rule us all.
    Years
    What animal do you think could be a cool pokemon design? What would be its type and why? What would be its abilty? What would its hidden hability be? Something extra you would like to add?

Here is my idea:
    I would really like if there was a guinea pig pokemon.
    Type? Normal-Ground.
    Why?
    They live in plains and make their homes in burrows.
    Ability? Run away and Cheek pouch or Gluttony since they are easily scared and usually eat a lot.

Hidden ability? It could be Quick feet, making reference to their running away abilities.
    Extra? It could learn moves such as bite, crunch, rest and dig. Their hair style could be different depending on the side of the region you catch it!

Share your ideas!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2018
    Here's something I came up with on Thanksgiving last year:

A turkey pokemon that, when holding a broken piece of a fossil, evolves (or Devolves, as it were) into a velociraptor pokemon.

Type(s): Normal/Flying (as turkey), Rock/Dark (as velociraptor)

Move(s): As the turkey, it knows one move "Flap" which is basically Splash but with wing flapping. As the velociraptor, it can learn several moves such as Slash, Bite, Crush Claw, Rock Throw, etc.

Why: It's evolution is a nod to how turkeys descended from velociraptors, and is the bird/dino equivalent of Magikarp and Gyarados.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    Dude, an alligator would be a cool Pokemon. I know that we have like Krookodile already, but a badass Pokemon with scales, and claws that could devour other Pokemon in the water and be scary.

Type: Water/Steel then when it gets a Mega Stone it would be Dragon/Steel. The Pokemon would be more of an offensive/fast Pokemon than a tanky Pokemon.

Evolution: It would start out as a small, cute little Pokemon with scales that would walk upright. It would have two legs and two arms. Then it would evolve into the second form, and be medium length and would start to develop a tail. Then for it's last evolution, the Pokemon would be huge, and spiky with hard green scales. Then when the Pokemon was mad or close to fainting then the scales would turn black and it's poison scales would activate. The Pokemon would then be on 4 legs, but could raise up and stand on two legs for a little while. It would have a long tail as well and super sharp teeth.

Beauty Elesa

Supermodel Gym Leader
    Years
    Koala.

Type: Grass/Dark
    Why: Because they live in trees and I think Dark typing would be cool on a Koala Pokemon
    Ability: Overgrow because it would most likely be a starter Pokemon
    Hidden Ability: Can't think of a hidden ability.
    Extra: Like I said it would most likely be a starter Pokemon. Maybe a region based on Australia.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2021
    We desperately need a blue jay Pokemon. Such incredible birds, it's actually quite criminal we haven't received a blue jay Pokemon already.

Instead we get two pigeon lines. Fantastic.

Kung Fu Ferret

The Unbound
    Years
    Dude, an alligator would be a cool Pokemon.

Feraligatr says hello.

But in all seriousness, we need fossils based on prehistoric mammals.

I have this idea for a Rock/Poison giant sloth that is covered in tar. Also, a Rock/Electric Brontotherium (a prehistoric cousin of the rhinoceros), [note: Bronotherium literally means "Thunder Beast"].

We also need more ice-types. A lemming? A Musk ox? A Leopard seal?

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
    keys
    I'd like to see more dinosaurs. Why not a stegosaurus? That's my favorite, and it could be Steel/Rock or Grass/Steel.
    Other people have had this idea too. Here's some fan art I found on google.
    Spoiler:

VisualJae

[size=1][FONT=Michroma][color=#a42525][b]Spam Hype
    Years
    I feel like this should just be an exercise on what animal doesn't have a Pokemon counterpart yet. Off the top of my head:

- Wild turkey
    - Swordfish
    - Koala
    - Tasmanian Devil
    - Coyote
    - Black bear
    - Meerkat
    - Red panda Never mind, I think Spinda would count as a red panda.
    - Wildebeest
    - Dolphin/Porpoise
    - Sea urchin
    - Ostrich/Emu/Cassowary Maybe Doduo's evolutionary line already makes up the giant flightless bird category.
    - Griffin (mythical)

Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2016
    A maned wolf pokemon would be awesome. Fire type is the first that comes to mind based on the coloring, but it could be anything. I just want to see those stilt legs exaggerated.

We also need a narwhal pokemon. Water/Steel or Water/Fighting?

Years
    How about a Mosquito. It would be small (males - bigger), extremely fast, very ugly looking and insanely annoying when ecountered. Mostly met in forests and near water areas. Obligatory life stealing moves mostly.

Years
    Jerboa- Red pika clone with an exhaust pipe 4 a tail. Has black flame patterns. Fire/Steel with Rock head
    Box Jellyfish- Electric/Poison with Levitate
    Barn Owl- Small, with blazing eye brows. Fire//Flying
    Pink Fairy Armourdillo- Fairy/Fire. Has a dispenser that shoots arrows of cupid.

Sirenita55

Team Popplio!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2018
    I really want a dolphin Pokemon. We finally got a T Rex Pokemon, so why is there no dolphin Pokemon yet Game Freak?

Likewise! Although technically speaking, Kyogre appears to be based on the Orca which belongs to the Oceanic Dolphin family. :) I would love to see a Pokemon which is more 'bottlenose' in appearance though!

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    A dolphin and a koala. Make them our Gen VII starters please!

Delirious Absol

Call me Del
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 27, 2019
    I'd like to see a bush baby Pokemon. Two stages, maybe grass/electric. That's a type combo we haven't had yet as well. Just remembered Rotom Mow XD

Also, a red panda. I don't really count Spinda. It doesn't have the epic tail X3

Last edited:

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
    A Siamese fighting Fish (a.k.a Betta Fish)

Type: Water/Fighting
    Why: These fight are kept for fights sometime (I don't agree on that but hey, it's happening).
    Ability: I don't know.. Competitive and Defiant, HA will be speed boost.
    Moves would be like more physical but some special attacks too. Male and female would be very different in his desing, as the fishes are very different from each other. We culd event find them in different shape and color, why not?
    Move would be like Crunch, Aqua Tail, Close Combat, Sword Dance, Fake Out, (for example)

Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Apr 6, 2018
    Peacock

Type: Flying, Fairy
    Why: Randomly picked this one but mostly cause we have had a swan several pigeons and an owl, A crow, 2 vultures, a rooster, and an eagle. But not something like a Peacock which I think might be neat. Maybe it has different colored tail feathers with each encounter.
    Ability: Big pecks, Pixilate, and HA would be something that would go well on a flying or fairy type.
    Moves: Stuff like furry attack, dazzling gleam definitely with those feathers. Flying type attacks roost! Absolutely fly people may think these birds can't fly but they can unless their tail feathers are to heavy.

Kung Fu Ferret

The Unbound
    Years
    Not entirely sure if this belongs in this exact thread, but I came up with a pretty good idea for main Legendary trio based on Egyptian mythology.

I will dub this proposed trio the "Solar Trio", as they are based on Ra and two of his alter egos.

The first member would be based on Khepri, a scarab beetle god, Bug/Fire type obviously.

The second member would be based on Khnum, a ram gold with spiraling horns, Ground/Psychic Type

The trio Master would be based on Ra himself, only in a more griffin-like form to partially represent Hathor ( a peaceful cow-like goddess) and Sekhmet (Hathor's violent, lioness-like alter ego), Fairy/Flying type.

Arjay

#GoStags
    Years
    Dolphin - Water or Water/Ice
    Peacock - Normal/Flying or Psychic/Flying
    A three stage evolution line: Budgerigar -> Parrot/Parakeet -> Macaw/Cockatoo - Grass/Flying
    Three stage evolution line: Quail -> Grouse -> Capercaillie - Normal/Flying
    Great White Shark - A proper looking shark, not Sharpedo which looks like it's been cut in half.
    Bigfoot/Sasquatch - Normal/Grass or Normal/Dark
    Velociraptor - Rock/Dark
    Barn Owl - Normal/Flying or Psychic/Flying
    Flamingo - Water/Flying
    Toucan - Grass/Flying
    A better giraffe Pokemon than Girafarig
    Hyena - Dark. I know Poochyena and Mightyena have Hyena in their names but they look nothing like hyenas.
    Chupacabra - Dark
    Tiger - Not sure about type but as a sort of counterpart to Litleo and Pyroar.

Back