• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen What was your first reaction to playing HG/SS?

pauldan00b

Veteran Breeder/Elite Trainer
    Years
    DISCLAIMER: For those of you who just started playing Pokemon recently without ever playing the original GB versions (Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver, Crystal), this question really doesn't apply much to you, but feel free to answer anyway.

For those of you who grew up playing every version to be released, like me, how did it feel to realize ten years have passed already when you started to play HG/SS? For me, I have actually teared up over this game...the Pokemon games were a major part of my childhood, and I've adored them (as much as my friends seemed to begin pulling away from them as they got older.) I know that for some of you, this is just another Pokemon game, and that its just a remake of the Gold and Silver versions, but to me, it's probably one of the happiest days I've ever had playing these games. It hit me that it's been so long since I first got my silver version and was thrilled that I had gotten a team I was proud of. And now, ten years later, I'm trying my best to recreate my old team I loved so much.

So what did everyone else think of this game when they first played it?

Calder

Gamertag: LycaNinja
    Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2011
    "Hello user friendly, goodbye Platinum"

Yeah thats about right haha but yeah I did get teared up thats the only reason I play Pokemon now is for the memories...If it was just being released I would hate it, but it was my first game ever (Blue Version) so I can't stop even though its kind of stupid.

Tyros

Professor Walnut: Shiny Expert
    Years
    Happiest day ever? Nah, that might be a little extreme.

My God this is absolutely beautiful? That fits pretty well. I smile while playing this game. :3 I'm taking my time to grind to the highest level Pokemon the gym leader I'm about to be facing is going to have, and having a grand time doing it~

I love it so far. I can't decide whether I want to ride the bike or walk, because I love having my Pokemon behind me so much... XD; Their emotes make me giggle a whole lot. Especially when a Geodude starts poking at my belly.

- Tyros

linkinpark187

Computer Tech
    Years
    I'd have to say that, even at my age, I teared up a little, because the Gold & Silver series is by far my favorite. In my book, they haven't been able to top them yet. Heart Gold & Soul Silver come close, but not quite. The originals just give me a certain feeling, beyond nostalgia.

Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2011
    Same here.. I felt so happy and nostalgic. I couldn't stop smiling and I did tear up a bit

WiiMann

I gots Heart Gold!! ^_^
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 29, 2012
    Omg i was estatic, didn't even wait to leave gamestop to start playing and i've played it every day after school since, and i've had to charge it every night so i could play it in the morning b4 school. I was thinking "Wow i'm real mature, buying pkmn at the age 15." but later i realized, i grew up playing these games.....why quit now? :D

560cool.

An old timer?
    Years
    A wave of Sapphire nostalgia hits as I talk to Steven ...
    A wave of smiles hit as every trainer approaches me ...
    A wave of ... fainting will hit when I get the actual game and sttop playing from the ROM >_<

Honestly , that's what I feel : Multiple Mixed Nostalgia Feelings ( I like calling them MMNF >-<<@ ) .

Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2011
    i got overjoyed whe i heard about a remake of silver and gold pokemon and mucking about climbing trees and stuff is my childhood ^^

Years
    It was weird because ten years ago my mom took me to get the original gold version, and super nostalgia came over me when she took me to get the new one.

Scialen

My Goodness, I'm DELICIOUS!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 23, 2010
    "oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god..." - Me when standing in line to pay for it (did a trade in at Gamestop so I ended up paying $6.95 for it).

"... SQUEEE!!" - Me when playing with Cyndaquil. It's Quilava now. Hoo ha ha.

BTW even though the official guide(s) are a little expensive, do you think they're worth it?

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
    Well, I admit to having squeed when the mailman brought it to me door, but that was moreso because the thought: "Oh my God, I can play and trade French Pokemon and build a shiny Pokemon farm!" came rushing through my head.

It's definitely the best Pokemon came in existence. D/P/PL is crud in comparison; G/S/C is the same game, but outdated, and remains a nostalgia factor.

SIN1488

Dedicated FluoroCarbons :P
    Years
    My first reaction was: "Dang, I don't even remember these routes!"

I've memorized the other regions pretty well, but this just shows how little I've really played Gold/silver/Crystal.

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
    The nostalgia was definitely there. It was like playing Silver all over again, but ten times better. Everything improved, and I like some of the additions added to the game. I've been taking my sweet time too when playing this.

Star Girl

Dragon Obsessed
    Years
    First thought as soon as I could actually move my character around, "I'm home!!!!!!!!!" (Kanto is actually my first region but I really started getting involved and understanding of the games was GSC)

Second thought once the inward squealing session was over, "It's so pretty!"

Years
    Even though the original Silver was my favorite back in the day, I couldn't remember anything aside from S.S. Aqua. So, maybe I'll feel something once I get to that part again.

But I dunno.

Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2016
    It's alright, I thought it would be better. But it's still a good game.

KnilShadowLink

#1 Arcanine Fanboy
    Years
    Hehe well I relized how much of a PokeNerd I am....I stood outside of Gamestop for 4 hours to be the first one to get it....Noone else showed up until 10 minutes befored they opened...I didn't care, I was happy to do it for a remake of the games that have given me many, many fond memories over the years...Anyways my friends and I all got it (I got both HG & SS, however all of them just got HG) Anyways I was able to remember quite a bit...like where items are found, what pokemon certain trainers have, where to get the pokemon. Whenever my friends have a question they just ask me :) I know it's a bit nerdy, but I'm proud to be a nerd for Pokemon. My friends now call me Kelton, the Pokemaniac...hehe I'm fine with that. xD

Oh and to answer the question more clearly, I teared up when I realized how much effort GameFreak put into remaking the games.

Back