• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What's the best Pokemon type?

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    What type do you think is the most valued for use in battling? Do you think this will change when generation six comes around? What's the best dual typing that a Pokemon could have?

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
  • I've personally always felt like the Psychic-type is the most versatile and it has one of the widest ranges of dual-type mons out there. Things like Psychic/Steel - Bronzong, Jirachi, Metagross - are absolute gems when it comes to their stat spreads and resistances, notably their all-round bulk. Cresselia and Sigilyph are prime examples of the bulkiness that comes with the Psychic-type in general. As for changing when the Sixth Generation is released, it depends on what new Pokemon for each type are released and how movepools are altered, really.

Zylas

Dat Trains Kid
    Years
  • I think the Water-type has gotta be the best. It has a dual typing to all except the Fire type, plus most are bulky enough to take a couple of hits even from their two weaknesses, Grass and Electric. Jellicent is a great example of this, not considering it's Ghost typing. On top of that, their movepools are often ranged to detest these weaknesses, such as Ice Beam with grass types and Earthquake with the common Water/Ground sub-typing. So in the end, Water types can take hits and dish 'em out as well, which is why I think it puts them at the top of the list.

Meaii

The countdown begins ...
    Years
  • In my opinion, it has to be Dragon type. In several Monotype Tournaments I have been in before whenever I pick Dragon, 9 times out of 10, I win. In the most recent Mono-Type Tournament hosted by [supporter]ForeverDash[/supporter], Miss Doronjo destroyed all of the opposition with her Dragon Team.

Lbz8IAW.png

«Chuckles»

Sharky
    Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2023
    In my opinion, it has to be Dragon type. In several Monotype Tournaments I have been in before whenever I pick Dragon, 9 times out of 10, I win. In the most recent Mono-Type Tournament hosted by [supporter]ForeverDash[/supporter], Miss Doronjo destroyed all of the opposition with her Dragon Team.

Lbz8IAW.png

Yes until someone uses an Ice-monotype team XD

Meaii

The countdown begins ...
    Years
  • Maybe true, but in many tournaments I have annihilated Ice types. I don't know about you, but I usually have the upper hand with my Dragon Mono Type since they have coverage for most types. Even if Dragon does get defeated by Ice, there's still another 15 types that they can destroy, and even though Steel resists Dragon, my opinion for best type usually destroys Steel.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2013
    It has got to be dragon, they can learn most TMs and can kill pokemons in one hit most the time...

Sirfetch’d

Personally I don't think there is a best type, however there are types that I find more useful than others. For example, I like to use Steel types quite a bit due to their useful resistances, great defenses, and wide variety of support moves. I also like to use Dragon types for power as they are the most powerful in my opinion. Lastly I feel Water types are one of the most useful due to their versatile movepool with most learning Ice Beam for coverage and their access to very powerful STAB.

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
    Years
  • Offensively, I'd say Ground or Dragon. Defensively, I'd say either Electric, Dragon, Water, Poison or Steel. Overall, I think the Dragon type is best, as its reliable STAB hits many types for neutral damage, and also has a solid plethora of useful resistances such as Water and Fire.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
  • Probably the Steel-type. It has 11 resistances and its users are often bulky. It also is pretty strong offensively, as while not many things are weak against Steel, there are some powerful users of Steel-type attacks, like Metagross. Nothing really wants to take a Choice Band Meteor Mash from that thing, apart from maybe Slowbro.

Years
    • Seen Sep 12, 2016
    In terms of base stats, currently Dragon-types have the better ones.
    Most of them have great coverage move pool to learn as well.
    Tend to have strong offensive stats.

On the defensive side most Steel-types can tolerate Physical moves, while there are some that can also withstand Special categorize moves.

Though one should not also forget about the existence of Water-type. First of all, if they were compared to other starter types, namely Fire and Grass-types, Water Pokemon have lesser weakness -- Grass and Electric-type only. Most Water Pokemon, like Dragons have great move pool to cover their weakness.

sonoskay

Cain
    Years
  • The only type that has a huge advantage over the others is dragon thus the adding of fairy to hopefully balance it out...

If your asking about favorites... I like Ice and Electric... Though i think these types lack in strong Pokemon, i like the types themselves.

Asura

असुर
    Years
    • Seen Aug 28, 2013
    For the sake of being different, I'll go with Rock or Steel, given the ubiquitous nature of Stealth Rock & Sandstorm and the need for a counter/reliable buffer to Dragon types. Steel's nice resistances help too.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • Grass!

Okay, not really. Far from it in fact.

I feel that either water or dragon is the best type. Water types have secondary types that cover all weaknesses while dragon has the overall power. Both of them have wide movepools that cover the vast majority of types.

Snorelacks

Ready to get burned?
    Years
  • Ideally, and I know it's very unlikely, but a Steel/Flying-type with Lightningrod or Volt Absorb (not saying it's possible, just hypothetically) would have a immunities to Poison, Ground, and Electric, as well as a metric s***-tonne of resistances and only one weakness- Fire. This weakness could be mitigated by rain, but then Lightningrod Skarmory would have a Water weakness. I don't think a case could be made for Ghost/Dark because of a lack of helpful resistances, although that typing also has three arguably more useful immunities.

Purple skies

Kittycanes777
    Years
    • She/her
    • Seen Jan 2, 2023
    I'd choose phycic/flying types
    Phycic type of moves are very annoying hard to fight with certain moves and flying type of moves i could handle except when the pokemon it uses fly

I'd choose phycic/flying types
    Phycic type of moves are very annoying hard to fight with certain moves and flying type of moves i could handle except when the pokemon it uses fly

Last edited:

Kiriyuuki Kasuna

<b><i><font color="#979C1F">Insert Purpose of Mean
    Years
  • Personally I don't think there is a best type, however there are types that I find more useful than others. For example, I like to use Steel types quite a bit due to their useful resistances, great defenses, and wide variety of support moves. I also like to use Dragon types for power as they are the most powerful in my opinion. Lastly I feel Water types are one of the most useful due to their versatile movepool with most learning Ice Beam for coverage and their access to very powerful STAB.

^This right here. I don't believe there is a "best" type, all typings are equal regardless of whichever one gives the best coverage,checks,counters and STAB. All of the types have their flaws so none are perfect or deemed perfect, especially by default. But meh, this is my two-cents. :/

Years
    • Seen Jun 29, 2016
    Definitely Steel type. 11 resistances(maybe 12 with Fairy type). And the few things that they are weak to, are often covered by their secondary types. Empoleon isn't weak to fire for example. I tend to like to play with bulky pokemon and steel suits that perfectly.

Back