• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What's the worst/best thing about being a guy/girl?

SquirtleGirl

Pokémon: 10 years + Counting..
    Years
    Before I start this thread I'd like to make it clear that this isn't a "Boys are better than Girls, No, Girls are better than Boys" thread. Just making that clear :) I don't want people flaming each other if possible n_n

So very simply, in your opinion... What is the best part of being a guy/girl?
    And... what is the worst part?

I'll post mine later on :D

Go.

Years
    Clothing. Girls can wear "boy" clothes and no one really minds. It doesn't often work in reverse, however. Not the best/worst thing, but one of the first things to come to mind.

Then there's sexism, mostly on the part of men toward women. In a smaller way this is also bad for the guys because they have more peer pressure to act like jerks.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    This is going to make me sound really baby crazy, which I assure people I'm not!

Best: Not having to go through the pain of childbirth. Guys often joke that getting hit in the balls is more painful than anything in the world (and it DOES hurt like hell, to be fair), but I can't imagine a greater pain than having to push a human being out of someone. It's a miracle of biology how it even works in the first place! (And so many generations of people did it without drugs as well...)

Worst: In a bit of irony, the worst bit is not being able to experience pregnancy. Obviously there are ups and downs to any pregnancy, but the actual ability to have another human life inside of you is really amazing, if you think about it. I have no desire to have kids at this moment in time, but it just seems like a wonderful feeling to know that you'll be bringing a new life into the world.

Oxymoronic, I know... -_-

Kazma

--
    Years
    best part of being a GIRL: females have more freedom, at least in western societies, to dress as they please. they are generally not given any trouble for wearing traditionally feminine clothing, or traditionally masculine clothing.

worst part of being a GIRL: they experience the most pain in regards to pregnancy, childbirth, menstruation, and menopause.

best part of being a GUY: not having to live with the fear that a single mistake could end with pregnancy and a tough decision and possible social isolation.

worst part of being a GUY: the standards for who and what a man should be is set in stone, and it's taking a long time to change. masculinity is a must... if a guy is the least bit feminine or lacks the aggression that his peers have, others look at him negatively.

Yes. I've experienced both. :U

Honest

Hi!
    Years
    To be honest, there really isn't one particular good or bad thing I can choose, given that everyone is different. If I had to choose one for each though....

Good/Male:
    ......Kinda hard to think of one

Good/Female:
    The way they dress, 'nuff said

Bad/Male:
    Their egos

Bad/Female:
    ....Monthly Gift. Had to say it

WriteThemWrong

LetMeHearYourPokemon's___ Voice
    Years
    Best thing about being a man is that I can get dressed and ready to leave out the door in 5 minutes.

Worst thing about being a man is either having an extremely pain-receptive area or not being able to give the miracle of life; I can't decide but I'm leaning toward the life one.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Best part about being a guy: You get to like the cool interests, plus you don't fall for Just in Bieber that easily.

Worst part about being a guy: You're expected to be polite, especially to girls.

Melody

Banned
    Years
    best part of being a GIRL: females have more freedom, at least in western societies, to dress as they please. they are generally not given any trouble for wearing traditionally feminine clothing, or traditionally masculine clothing.

worst part of being a GIRL: they experience the most pain in regards to pregnancy, childbirth, menstruation, and menopause.

best part of being a GUY: not having to live with the fear that a single mistake could end with pregnancy and a tough decision and possible social isolation.

worst part of being a GUY: the standards for who and what a man should be is set in stone, and it's taking a long time to change. masculinity is a must... if a guy is the least bit feminine or lacks the aggression that his peers have, others look at him negatively.

Yes. I've experienced both. :U

This post...Sums up most of what I'd say is the best and worst of both worlds. I shall now add my pitiful 2 cents to this post full of win, and hope that it's head doesn't explode. xD

I may not have yet experienced both sides like this young person has, but if do I choose to do so...I hope people aren't gonna be too mean about it.

Best:
    Guy - Standards are low. If we walk into church smelling like sweat, skunk piss, garbage and axle grease, no sane person will question it. We are thankfully low maintenance. We also don't have a social minefield to navigate when we're swapping stories.
    Girl - Bonding. Seriously, ladies, you have it down to a science. You gals can be closer to your friends than a typical married couple is throughout their entire life! When things are going your way, you've also got it very easy! You aren't as pressured into becoming self-sufficient.

Worst:
    Guy - All that macho crap that is expected of us. We're supposed to act like we're friggin emotionless robots most of the time, drink beer, party hard...you get the idea. Also, as a guy, you're VERY LUCKY if your parents don't toss you out like they do a bum from a bar on your 18th birthday with nothing more than a few bucks, a "Good Luck Boy, I sure will see ya, wouldn't wanna be ya." And like the above mentioned...Femininity? FORGET IT! Unless you really are a masochist...and like being punished by life at times.
    Girl - The social minefield. Seriously, you do have a LOT to take into consideration. There's so much that can set a person off, and sometimes you don't even have a real choice about who you can make a family with...because parents are so protective, and family, even if they're good at nothing else, is very good at judging the love of your life more harshly than they'd judge Osama Bin Laden! X3

In essence, both sides really have it tough, and both sides have it's perks. I wouldn't dare say either is really better than the other, when we're obviously two sides of the same coin. Men and Women cannot exist without each other, and I wouldn't tolerate anyone who would even suggest of remotely considering the idea. :3

SquirtleGirl

Pokémon: 10 years + Counting..
    Years
    Hm I'm gonna post mine now :D

Best Thing About Being a Girl: Being able to cry/talk rubbish/rant to your best girl-friends without anybody thinking you're a "sap". And I cry at everything. Your girl-friends are like a second family.

Worst Thing About Being a Girl: The already mentioned menstruation/childbirth/menopause etc. Also, the fact that you can't just be friends with a guy without everyone thinking you fancy them, especially when you already have a boyfriend.

I think the worst thing about being a girl is that we can't always look like supermodels :/ I always feel so damn insecure! It's like... built into my system or something. I envy those girls who are comfortable in their own skin.

Last edited:

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
    Years

This post...Sums up most of what I'd say is the best and worst of both worlds. I shall now add my pitiful 2 cents to this post full of win, and hope that it's head doesn't explode. xD

I may not have yet experienced both sides like this young person has, but if do I choose to do so...I hope people aren't gonna be too mean about it.

Best:
    Guy - Standards are low. If we walk into church smelling like sweat, skunk piss, garbage and axle grease, no sane person will question it. We are thankfully low maintenance. We also don't have a social minefield to navigate when we're swapping stories.
    Girl - Bonding. Seriously, ladies, you have it down to a science. You gals can be closer to your friends than a typical married couple is throughout their entire life! When things are going your way, you've also got it very easy! You aren't as pressured into becoming self-sufficient.

Worst:
    Guy - All that macho crap that is expected of us. We're supposed to act like we're friggin emotionless robots most of the time, drink beer, party hard...you get the idea. Also, as a guy, you're VERY LUCKY if your parents don't toss you out like they do a bum from a bar on your 18th birthday with nothing more than a few bucks, a "Good Luck Boy, I sure will see ya, wouldn't wanna be ya." And like the above mentioned...Femininity? FORGET IT! Unless you really are a masochist...and like being punished by life at times.
    Girl - The social minefield. Seriously, you do have a LOT to take into consideration. There's so much that can set a person off, and sometimes you don't even have a real choice about who you can make a family with...because parents are so protective, and family, even if they're good at nothing else, is very good at judging the love of your life more harshly than they'd judge Osama Bin Laden! X3

In essence, both sides really have it tough, and both sides have it's perks. I wouldn't dare say either is really better than the other, when we're obviously two sides of the same coin. Men and Women cannot exist without each other, and I wouldn't tolerate anyone who would even suggest of remotely considering the idea. :3
    I agree with everything you said there. I'd like to say I've experienced both myself, though I've done so in very different situations so I suppose it doesn't count.

Best part about being a girl: You often get treated better as a girl. People are nicer to you, showing more respect when they're around you. And as Pachy mentioned, the bonding is excellent. It's so much easier making friends who will talk about anything and everything with you. ^_^

Worst part about being a girl: And to flip my previous comment on its head, the worst part is that jerks tend to feel more powerful around girls. Some guys think that all women do(specifically appearance-wise) is for them, and that they never do anything just because they like it. It's rather annoying. =/

Best part about being a boy: The only thing that comes to mind is the strength, which on average is higher than women's. A guy would most usually feel safer in some situations than a girl, even if he wasn't really a strong guy.

Worst part about being a boy: Guys always seem to be expected to know everything about cars, sports, home repair, etc., and nothing about fashion, cooking, children, etc. Most men feel they have to know about these 'manly' things in order to fit in with their peers, and having any sort of knowledge about 'girly' things is seen as a weakness.

Years
    Best Thing About Being a Guy: You can neglect your outer appearance and no one will care as long as you don't stink and completely look like a hobo. In fact most guys that actually do care about their appearance are often considered either feminine or douchebags.
    Worst Thing About Being a Guy: Most other standards are weird as hell. Judging people by how well they do at sports / are informed about sports is nonsense. You're always expected to act like a gentleman, but what is the return, why is there no such thing as a gentlewoman?

I don't mind the whole emotionless facade thing by the way, it's kind of my personality anyway.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    I'm a girl. Kinda wish I was a guy because my worst definitely outweighs my best but oh well.

Best:
    It's okay to wear what you want. If you wear "men's" clothes, worst you get labelled is tomboy. If you wanna wear feminine clothes, that's cool too. It's not that weird to like commonly male things (and usually you seem cooler for it). And wanna be emotional? It's "normal". Reverse this (a guy doing/liking feminine things) and it's really weird.

Worst:
    PERIODS. :( Even at their tamest, they suck. And if you're like me, the accompanying cramps essentially cripple you for a week every month, which is 1/4th of the year. The only real reprieve you get from it is pregnancy (which is followed by childbirth which sounds TERRIFYING ;o;) and menopause which, I can say from personal experience, sucks. (I know there are other ways to get around periods, and I've done some of 'em, but typically these are the only two.)

Unfortunately, I realize my best is a social thing and worst is physical but... it's what stands out to me so oh well.

Hiidoran

[B]ohey[/B]
    Years
    Best thing about being a guy:

Honestly, it's just very easy over all. For example, you don't have to put a lot of effort into looking really great, and if you walk into the men's part of any clothing store you'll easily see that. Pants, shirts, under shirts, shorts, etc. I don't even know what half of the things on the women's side do. I'd try to wear them as a hat or something. Also, we're expected to be pretty emotionless and it's pretty normal for us to be somewhat pervy almost all the time. :]

Plus we can use the bathroom while standing~ Without looking a bit odd...

Worst part about being a guy:

Probably the relationships. There are bromances out there, but really, most of your typical male friends don't really give two hoots about you. They'll hang out, you'll have fun, but they don't remember your birthday and you can't remember theirs. Heck, sometimes we're doing good if we remember each other's last names... Girls seem to have deeper friendships easier that mean a little something more.

Yurusumaji

The Collector
    Years
    Worst part:
    Being seen as a "baby machine". "Do you have kids? When are you having kids? Aren't you married? Why don't you have any kids?" Not all women were born only to grow old and populate the planet, people.

Best Part:
    The body. The female body is so curvy and voluptuous, it's like a wonderland ripe for exploration. And there are so many different body types women can have, which makes each of us so unique and exciting.

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2017
    I feel like taking ideas from elsewhere, and also pointing multiple points, so I'll do that.

Note:
    There are points with sexual tones, or ones that might sound sexist if perceived in the wrong way, and I suggest nobody reads my post if they find such things offensive. I don't want to ignore them if they are out there.
    Most of these are actually only thought to be existent, or are made to be real by peer pressure, and so me mentioning these points is just that - me mentioning them; And therefore these don't necessarily reflect my personal views.

So yeah, read at your own... risk?

Spoiler:

The good thing is, I don't have to care about these stupid craps, because like I said, these don't necessarily reflect my views.
    In fact, only a few of the points are actually believed by me, and I am almost always myself without thinking twice of how people are gonna make a deal out of me for having a feminine side.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
    As a male:
    Best: Not having to give birth. That's pretty obvious.

Worst: I think most females just assume that all males are perverts.

ShinyMeowth

Gone forever
    Years
    I don't really care about all that social expectations crap, and I do whatever feels comfortable and right, so most of the points here don't count for me. Thus,
    Best part about being male:
    No periods.
    Worst part about being male:
    I guess nothing. I don't give a crap about my gender, as long as there are no physical problems. It would be the exact same thing if I was a girl without periods.

Fire Heart

Reject Revolving Door
    Years
    Best part about being a guy: You get to like the cool interests, plus you don't fall for Just in Bieber that easily.

Worst part about being a guy: You're expected to be polite, especially to girls.

But some girls do not like Justin Bieber, i actually hate him so much. Plus most girls don't like lads who are polite, just saying ;)

Virgilia

Chronos.
    Years
    Best Part About Being Female:

I think girls tend to somewhat seem the more trustworthy one of the two, and I know that's not necessarily true, but if someone was in danger, and a girl was walking past, I think the victim would have a lot more trust because they know girls tend to be the more caring gender, and very forgiving.

Worst Part About Being Female:

Being stereotpyed. Ugh, if you're seen wearing a pink shirt, you're automatically a girly girl and there's no going back. I'm not exactly very girly, and people think I am. Girls aren't always so "OH NO I broke a nail!" or "AH, I LOOOOVE this dress!". In fact, I know a lot of girls who are the opposite of that all. Also, all the changes we go through, as well. I mean, boys don't have to worry so much, but we girls do. That, and girls tend to be very rude to each other, as well.

Last edited:
    Back