• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

when are you no longer a child ?

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
Years
  • I got into a discussion today about when people are longer considered a child.
    I say it's 13 as the clue is in the number " Teen" but people say 18 which is kinda stupid as you can get married have sex and stuff at 16/17

what do you guys think the age should be ?

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    I got into a discussion today about when people are longer considered a child.
    I say it's 13 as the clue is in the number " Teen" but people say 18 which is kinda stupid as you can get married have sex and stuff at 16/17

what do you guys think the age should be ?

I don't think anyone can really name a specific age at which point an individual can be considered an adult. At one point, the average age at which people finish puberty was determined to be the age one becomes an adult. But with more and more people entering and finishing puberty before their teen years, that can no longer be used.

Every country has its own criteria. For some that age is 18, for others it's 21, and still for some it's 19.

I believe personally, until you reach 18 (which is the legal age of adulthood here), you are technically still a child.

But then again... I know some 30 year olds who could easily be considered children by their lack of maturity.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
  • When you're able to provide for your responsibilities both emotionally and financially. Age has nothing to do with it. You have to pass a certain level of maturity which includes responsibilities and being able to look after yourself or your children (or even your parents or siblings if the case stands for it.)

I'm not including physicalities because handicaps and stuff may be in play, and if you have a handicap, you can still be considered an adult even if you need someone to help you into a wheelchair, for example.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    When you're able to provide for your responsibilities both emotionally and financially. Age has nothing to do with it. You have to pass a certain level of maturity which includes responsibilities and being able to look after yourself or your children (or even your parents or siblings if the case stands for it.)

Pretty much this in a nutshell.

That and having the credentials needed to acquire a steady job also helps.

Years
  • I think in general, adulthood is determined mainly by maturity. Sure, you have to be a certain age to do certain things like drink alcohol, smoke cigarettes, have sex, get married and so on, but being the legal age to do those things doesn't make you a grown up at all, really. You need the maturity to be responsible in doing those things. And generally, you need to be responsible for yourself on the whole; and if you're responsible for others, too, then... well I guess that counts for something, too.

Psycho Bugler

Jew Extrordinaire!
    Years
  • I think it's when someone, as a human being, is capable of being a productive member of society. I'm 21. I still consider myself childish, because I'm incredibly immature. Two summers ago, after my first year in college, I was forced upon the responsibility of caring for my sister and her two children. She was a wreck the entire time (for reasons I don't feel like naming) and her kids lacked a half-decent father figure. With my part time job I fed them, clothed them, tutored them (since they were barely were able to comprehend tests that were at their appropriate grade level.)

I've done things as a teenager that most adults would never be able to do (and I'm not talking about things the physical human body can do, I'm talking about stuff that people on The Apprentice would have a hard time doing and it's their job to do these things.)

Then I know people who are in their 30's, maybe 40's, who are more childish than my friends I have in college.

It's all subjective, but I think legally someone is a "child" if they're below voting age in the U.S. at least. I know that a teen at the age of 12 can have a significant leadership position in an indigenous aboriginal tribe, but that's only because life expectancy is shorter in those parts of the world and if a person has no function, it's terminated. (I feel evil for saying that.)

Years
  • When you're able to provide for your responsibilities both emotionally and financially. Age has nothing to do with it. You have to pass a certain level of maturity which includes responsibilities and being able to look after yourself or your children (or even your parents or siblings if the case stands for it.)

Age matters. You can't get your own credit card or co-sign for loans until you're 18. Meaning, no car, no housing, etc. You really cannot financially support yourself in the US until you have access to lines of credit. Or through government assistance, which is rare.

Years
  • So 8 year olds who get raped by pedophiles are then automatically deemed adults?
    It wasn't worded great, but I would assume they meant when you choose to have sex.

Broadly speaking I think when you start to become responsible for important things in your life you're an adult. Being able to make your own meals (even if most of the time someone else is the designated meal-maker), keep yourself and your living space clean, keep a job (even if you have trouble getting one in the first place), and lots of other things I think are indicators that you're an adult.

Legally speaking I think 18 is when you become an adult.

Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    When you return from your journey as a Pokemon Master.

Seriously though, it's difficult to say just when someone becomes an "adult", aside from the legal definition, but I believe it does involve the taking on of some significant level of responsibility, but also the expectations and conditions of society.

For instance, right now, many people go to college/university after high school. If you take into consideration the cost of living alone now, this has led to the development of a period of extended adolescence for gen Y. The expectation is no longer to move out, get a job, etc., but rather, stay home, study, and then leave when you're ready, which may not be till some time into your 20s. Thus I would state that it takes longer to become an "adult" now than it did 50 years ago.

I think it's when someone, as a human being, is capable of being a productive member of society. I'm 21. I still consider myself childish, because I'm incredibly immature. Two summers ago, after my first year in college, I was forced upon the responsibility of caring for my sister and her two children. She was a wreck the entire time (for reasons I don't feel like naming) and her kids lacked a half-decent father figure. With my part time job I fed them, clothed them, tutored them (since they were barely were able to comprehend tests that were at their appropriate grade level.)
    You sound like a good man. Good on ya mate.

Ducklighter

Throw caution to the wind.
    Years
  • Well, there really isn't a clear answer for this but I personally think there are different stages to what is considered a child. In the UK, we're not permitted to say child anymore when concerning teenagers. The appropriate term is Young Person and they're from the ages of 16 - 25. In my own opinion, you're not a child anymore once you've matured enough to be trusted to leave home. The UK laws class criminals 13+ adults. So, that could be taken into consideration. I'd say 13+ is when you're considered a young person but 18 is usually when you're considered an adult.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years

• Age matters. You can't get your own credit card or co-sign for loans until you're 18. Meaning, no car, no housing, etc. You really cannot financially support yourself in the US until you have access to lines of credit. Or through government assistance, which is rare.

Yet there are teenagersc or even children in 3rd world countries that work, farm, and care for their brothers and sisters and themselves. They take on those responsibilities and are able to provide for themselves and the ones they feel responsible for. That's why I said age has nothing to do with it, it depends on the situation and culture. THey may not have a car or house, but they will have a rickshaw and hut; or something they've made makeshift themselves. Their finances may be in terms of other things like fair trade services, or even produce.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • In the North American sense, I'd argue 21 over 18. Nevermind voting age, drinking age, when you can get your license, the age of consent, etc.

How many people move back in with their parents now when they finish school? Plenty lots.

Throughout your teens and in your young adult days you're growing, learning, maturing. I think you're an adult when you capable of being one. Different for everyone. That doesn't mean making adult decisions though. Kind of abstract.

Sir Codin

You're an adult the moment you wish you were a kid again. Other ways to tell when you're an adult is when you have to pay your own bills, you realize the world is confusing as hell, or when you start eating more Raisin Bran instead of sugary cereal because you're concerned about your daily fiber intake. You're also an adult when you realize you're not as smart as you think you are.

At least, that's my two cents. Personally I don't think I'm an adult and I don't think I'm a child either. I'm just some guy who doesn't know where he stands in life.

Back