• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

When were you most into Pokémon?

Years
  • It was during Gen 5 (especially the second half of Gen 5) and first half of Gen 6 for me. It was the time when I finally started understanding a concept of building a good and fun teams so because of that I had some of my best and most memorable playthroughs during this period. This is also the time when I became aware of the competitive battling and I spent a lot of time learning and battling with many different "competitive" teams that I tried to build. I also spent a lot of time breeding for competitive Pokemon with Egg moves and Hidden Abilities, especially during the early days of Gen 6. I also discovered the "Pokemon side" of YouTube during Gen 5 and learned about shiny hunting and nuzlockes so I tried doing both during this time period and I had a ton of fun with it.

This was also the first time that I actually followed the release of the new games (X and Y) from the first trailer and never missed any update (even a few fake leaks managed to fool me for a couple of hours). Following the release of Gen 6 was an amazing experience, especially since Pokemon was moving to 3D. The Mega Evolution reveal was so amazing and I'll never forget the hype during those days.

You can also see that this was where my love for Pokemon peaked because Gen 5 is still my favorite generation and Gen 6 (especially first half of Gen 6) is my favorite competitive period in Pokemon.

Years
    • Seen today
    Gen 4. The P/S split was one of the hugest improvements in the series, as it made Pokémon that were completely useless like Sneasel (terrible Sp. Attack on a Pokémon whose two stabs were special types) inmensely better. And on top of that it also added many welcomed evolutions to Pokémon that really deserved more attention making them a lot more viable. I just can't go back anymore to anything pre-Gen 4 with such nonsenses as Shadow Ball being a physical attack while Bite/Crunch are special.

Then it went down with BW because I didn't like many of the Unova Pokémon (and I didn't play BW2 until many years later), and XY didn't help much either because I didn't like how Mega Evolution was implemented. I also don't get what's with these games' Elite Four using only four Pokémon, that was disappointing.

It got better for me in Gen 7, since I liked the idea of regional variants, the removal of the HM annoyance was just wonderful, and the island trials gave the series a bit of fresh air. And albeit I'm not a fan of Z-moves, I still prefer it over Megas or "Pokémon going giant".

Years
  • It was during Gen 5 (especially the second half of Gen 5) and first half of Gen 6 for me. It was the time when I finally started understanding a concept of building a good and fun teams so because of that I had some of my best and most memorable playthroughs during this period. This is also the time when I became aware of the competitive battling and I spent a lot of time learning and battling with many different "competitive" teams that I tried to build. I also spent a lot of time breeding for competitive Pokemon with Egg moves and Hidden Abilities, especially during the early days of Gen 6. I also discovered the "Pokemon side" of YouTube during Gen 5 and learned about shiny hunting and nuzlockes so I tried doing both during this time period and I had a ton of fun with it.

This was also the first time that I actually followed the release of the new games (X and Y) from the first trailer and never missed any update (even a few fake leaks managed to fool me for a couple of hours). Following the release of Gen 6 was an amazing experience, especially since Pokemon was moving to 3D. The Mega Evolution reveal was so amazing and I'll never forget the hype during those days.

You can also see that this was where my love for Pokemon peaked because Gen 5 is still my favorite generation and Gen 6 (especially first half of Gen 6) is my favorite competitive period in Pokemon.

I had a very similar experience, I started getting into breeding and team building in late Gen 5 (back when you could generate Pokemon with apps too but once I got into breeding I enjoyed that much more). The competitive scene at the beginning of Gen 6 was really fun for me too. My friends and I were playing alot, building teams, and battling each other all of the time. YouTube had a really good WiFi battling scene too with Shady, Shofu, Nappy, and many others.

It was the first time I had played Pokemon in years, my last games before B2W2 being HG/SS and it just renewed my love for the franchise. I was also just coming out of a pretty brutal time in my life and the community is a very nice place to be.

lilaë21

Roaming Sinnoh
    Years
  • Gen 3 and Gen 4 - so much that I bought Emerald and Diamond day one (and if we count games that featured Pokémon and were released around that time, SSBB too - and those are three out of the only five games I've bought day one!). Gen 4 was the generation I spent most time on as I kept trying building better teams. Later on my interest faded for various reasons - I didn't like Gen 5 as much as Gen 4, I was more into other genres of games (ARPGs and racing games), and most of my friends who played Pokémon moved on to other multiplayer games.

Years
  • For me... I want to say gen III. My friend and I were absolutely obsessed with RSE and played those games to death. We both ended up getting the opposite version to our main copies as well, and used that to constantly replay and mix records into our main games. I had so many secret bases saved into my main file. We'd try to catch all the Spinda patterns and pick our favorite to train to lv. 100, spend ages fishing out boxes full of Feebas, doing contests on many Pokémon for the ribbons, and a lot more stuff. It was such a good time ; ; Gen IV is very close too since that's when I got into the forum hype, and seeing so many others as excited about DPPt as I was really helped keep that excitement going. V is another great one because I was so incredibly excited for the anime too! tough choiceee

Gen 4. The P/S split was one of the hugest improvements in the series, as it made Pokémon that were completely useless like Sneasel (terrible Sp. Attack on a Pokémon whose two stabs were special types) inmensely better. And on top of that it also added many welcomed evolutions to Pokémon that really deserved more attention making them a lot more viable. I just can't go back anymore to anything pre-Gen 4 with such nonsenses as Shadow Ball being a physical attack while Bite/Crunch are special.

I agree this was awesome, and a huge reason why I was as eager for DPPt as I was. Having better uses for so many of my favorite Pokémon with the p/s split was great.

Years
  • It was during Gen IV and Gen VI. I got into Pokemon for the first time during Gen IV, when I was 6 years old. I watched the anime a lot and I had a lot of Pokemon toys. I didn't had a DS, but I played older Pokemon games on emulators. During Gen VI, I got my first own console, which was the Nintendo 3DS, with Pokemon X. I was very active in the Pokemon fandom during Gen VI too. I'm nostalgic for both Gen IV and Gen VI because I have the most Pokemon related memories from these two eras.

Years
  • gens 3 and 4! those were the days that pokemon colosseum and pokemon XD were out, respectively, and i had an amazing time with them! i pretty much grew up around spinoffs so thats when i got my hands on the pokemon mystery dungeon series as well o: i think that's about the most fun i've had with pokemon, since i was hanging out with my irl friends at the time too and we were all kinda heavily into it and playing it and things like that. n.n

Years
  • 2010-2013, so around the Gen 5 era. i was just fresh of a Gen 3 binge of Emerald and Leaf Green. sucked that i didn't have access to a DS anymore at that point since mine broke and my cousins wouldn't let me borrow theirs' :c

so i resorted to Youtube Let's Plays and pretty much binged them all day and night long. shortly after, i discovered the world of roms and emulators, and got so giddy when i realized i could play Pokemon White for the first time ever through my PC. that was a pretty hype time. fast forward a bit and i discover rom hacks, and find this site through google searches. the rest is history :p

Years
  • If we're talking the franchise as a whole, I'd say gens 1-2 were when I was most into the franchise. I was into every aspect of it- the cards, the anime, the toys, the games. I could just never get enough of it.

Games though, I would go with gen 3, since I put hundreds of hours into three seperate games (Sapphire, FireRed, Emerald)- something I've only been able to do once since then (HeartGold).

Back