• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which Gen Has Best Pokemon?

Swampert 22

Is making tools for you...
Years
  • Well bearing in mind that until the third generation all the Pokémon were solely designed by Ken Sugimori, I think he had an excellent range of ideas. I always liked the first and second generations, but the variation brought in by gen 3 and 4 makes the Pokémon much more interesting. I guess it's just that the older Pokémon are the ones I grew up with on my Gameboy Color!

Years
    • Seen Feb 15, 2008
    In the Show it was 1st Gen that was the best ever and and Orange league was awesome too. Then it died down in Johto it was good but not great. Hoenn and Sinnoh were okay but not great too. I think it got a bit over done after Johto they didn't seem to make the plot go past him Ash beating all the gym leaders and beating the elite four also on another note it was horrible that they made Misty leave TT~TT

On all the games I think all the games are awesome my only complaint is the lack of fire Pokemon in D/P

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
  • Old school everyone, 1st and 2nd all the way...

These last too are just....too...like plastic...

Anti

return of the king
    Years
  • Is this for the best pokemon like it says in the title or your favorite? This isn't exactly clear...

That being said, you can make a case for any generation. 2nd Generation introduced walling supremeacy no other generation will ever be able to topple (Suicune, Blissey, Forretress, Donphan, Skarmory, etc.) and had other amazing pokemon like Heracross, Tyranitar, Celebi, and Raikou.

1st generation was the original, and had a few powerhouses itself (Rhydon, Gengar, Alakazam, Starmie, Machamp, Snorlax, Zapdos, Marowak, Chansey, Tauros, etc.) and all the awesomeness that comes with it being the original game. Still, it just doesn't stack up to the power of the 2nd generation pokemon.

3rd Generation introduced some good ones (Salamence, Metagross, Regice, Milotic, Swampert, Dusclops, Medicham, etc.) However, it didn't really bring much else to the table, besides maybe newer graphics lol.

4th Gen probably gives 2nd the best run for its money. However, with all the evos, I'm only going to count pokemon who were terrible until they evolved. Other pokemon who were good before evolving are going to be left out. However, stuff like Tangrowth, Garchomp, Cresselia, Heatran, Azelf, Ambipom, Hippowdon, Infernape, and Weavile make 4th gen pretty stellar.

It's between 2md and 4th for me, and IMO it's second or else the game would be so so so much different without that generation.

Cloud_85

Templar Patriarch
    Years
  • WeThe first and the second where the originals and coolers. The 3rd wasn't so bad. I hate the 4 , In that generation I only like Dialga,Palkia,Weavile,Garchomp,Lucario and Arceus.

Tyroge

Tyroge
    Years
    • Seen Jan 31, 2008
    The 2nd for me. It kinda made me feel calm and relaxed somehow. I could also get to know the pokemon more and learn the types. Now there are too many and feel that I just get overwhelmed...

Dunsparce

The Land Snake Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Sales-Wise(Fact):
    1) 4th
    2) 2nd
    3) 1st
    4) 3rd

Stupid D/P! Unsurping G/S as the highest selling Pokemon games!

Pokemon-Wise(Opinion):
    1) 2nd
    2) 4th
    3) 3rd
    4) 1st

But the 4th gen is my second favorite gen XD

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    I think that the second gen had the greatest pokemon in history,
    I also like the pokemon in the 3rd gen too though.

~C3LEBI

Years
  • The 1st one has the most creative Pokemon IMO. The 2nd one was pretty good to, but the rest...well, I often get the feeling they were just running out of ideas when I see the 3rd and 4th gen Pokemon.

stella

Love. Honor. Truth.
    Years
  • I like the 2nd generation the most.It has a lot of Pokemon that I think are cool.It also has Celebi, which is one of my favorites.

Back