• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which keys do you use?

which keys do you use?

• Total voters
    Years
    WASD all the way! :D

It's default for me whenever I open any game that involves a keyboard. It's probably because it's universal that games consoles have the arrow buttons on the left.
    The only time I ever use the arrow keys for games is when I'm using an emulator because its simpler for me to map the button keys to ZASX.

Renpuu

Gengar !
    Years
    I've always used WASD as it feels natural to me and again it's the default for most games. I've got used to using my little finger for crouching using the CTRL key and my left thumb using the space for usually 'jumping'.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Games, right?

Mostly arrows if that's default, WASD if that's default. I've considered but not used ESDF in FPSs.
    Exceptions are Uprising which is arrows by default and manually bound to WASD; and Naev which is bound to 8456 on the number pad due to certain combinations ignoring part of the input with the default arrow keys on all my boards.

On the ePSXe emulator I have ESDF for the D-pad and IJKL for the face buttons, W/R/U/O for L2/L1/R1/R2, G/H for select/start, and V/N for L3/R3; that way it's actually rather like a Dualshock controller.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Apr 2, 2012
    I use the arrow keys for when I play Minecraft, and my friend teases me about it all the time. :(

NatureKeeper

I have a general rule that I don't play computer games that require moving with the keyboard/mouse (which basically rules out all FPS/TPS/etc games. No big loss.) so for the most part, none. However, if presented with the choice (like in a racing minigame or something), I go for the arrow keys every time. Moving with letters feels too weird, and I'm right-handed, so it feels a bit more natural to manoeuvre with my right hand. I'm fine with steering left-handed if I'm using my thumb (PS2, DS etc) but actually pushing different buttons with my fingers? Hehe, nah.

Of course, this presents me with a dilemma when faced with a game like, say, Borderlands, where you turn and shoot with the mouse, but move with the keys. There is no way I'd be able to operate a mouse with my left hand, so . . . yeah, I just don't play those kinds of games. I much prefer console games anyway.

I'm right handed, and I use WASD and mouse in right hand for FPS/TPS. If you detest WASD so much, then you can connect a console controller to a PC. Works.

Anyways, I use WASD plus mouse. Except in FFVII, where I used arrows plus IJKL for the other stuff. It was so lamely ported from PSX to PC, so it was just like a PSX emulator.

Years
    Whoops, didnt think this meant gaming keys (put arrow keys as my response in the poll), but yes I do use WASD for any little computer gaming that I do.. It can be a little confusing for me, especially when I look down at the ground or high up, and when I want to move again, I forget to look parallel to the ground to see where I am going. Overall though, WASD feels easy for me because I am left-handed.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    WASD every time! It gives you more space to use the other keys for the game and to move the mouse etc... Plus it was kinda standard on every computer game I grew up playing so I guess it's habit :p

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    For gaming, most often WASD because I tend to play shooters. For other games, I generally stick to the default control scheme unless it's completely awful or something.

For navigation, I typically use my mouse's scroll wheel.

I have a general rule that I don't play computer games that require moving with the keyboard/mouse (which basically rules out all FPS/TPS/etc games. No big loss.)
    You're not qualified to say it's "no big loss" if you don't play them.

Otherworld9)

Bard of Rage
    Years
    I prefer to use WASD, since not only is it comfortable, but the arrow keys on a laptop isn't the best option, since it tires me out quickly.

blue

gucci
    Years
    It depends, most of the time the arrow keys as I'm familiar with that format but in some cases when the default is wsad I'll stick with it.

Koi

Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2023
    Key

I use the arrow key most of times, unless I'm playing online games or something, then I use WASD keys.

Back